PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on what to demo?

bdaniels
06-06-2005, 08:32 AM
I've been playing tennis off and on for years but have recently gotten into playing about 3-4 times a week for the past 6 months. I'd say my game is around a 3.0 area now.

I've got a Head Intelligence is6 oversize right now and I despise it. For starters, the thing generates WAY too much power (even though it says its geared more towards control), I'm guessing this is due to the oversize head. Secondly, due to a too small grip (even after 2 heat wraps) it twists in my hand sometimes when hit off center (not racquet specific obviously, was my fault for buying too small of a grip). I also DO NOT like racquet's that rely on "technological innovations" (ie, gimmicks) to market their products (for this reason I probably won't buy another Head, if you ask me "electronically charged piezzo fibers" is just absolutely ridiculous). I consider myself a baseline player with the occasional urge to rush the net for some solid volleys. I like a 95ish head size with 11+ ounce strung weight. $$$ is not a consideration, if a racquet feels right I see nothing wrong with saving up.

With that said, I think I'm looking for a control oriented racquet in the "tweener" category, I could settle on a players racquet too if it feels right. Some brands that I think appeal to me are Prince, Dunlop, Slazenger, Volkl...

I'm not asking anyone to make up my mind for me, I'm just asking for some advice from this great community on what I should demo. Thanks in advance.

Return_Ace
06-06-2005, 08:54 AM
I apologise since I'm no expert in rackets and my knowledge of them is fairly limited but judging by your specs you could try the:
Wilson nTour
Wilson N-code six-one team
Wilson Prostaff Tour 95
Yonex Ti-80 (Its a little over 12ounces but plays lighter)

and I know you don't really like Head but I recently played with the Flexpoint Midplus and it felt pretty nice (which was strange since everywhere I've read it says it plays like it predecessor but I personally disliked the LM Radical).
Now my experience with these rackets? uhh well.........
I've played with the six-one team and that felt pretty solid a little too stiff to my liking though, the Ti-80 (my current racket so I'm bound to plug it) plays a lot more cushy with a nice feel to it. And there about the only rackets I've played with so I just tryed to match your spec (Note I didn't include some other brands since I don't know too much about their rackets).
I know you don't like marketing gimmicks but I think just ignore the gimmicks and just try the racket itself. Plus I had kinda the same problem as you except I had an I.Tour, it was way too powerful later on but I could never find that feel....it was very crisp, almost like static electricity funny enough, just the feel of the ball as it left the racket anyway the closest feel I found to that was the Yonex RDX300 so you could try that aswell.
I apologise for my lack of intelligence (hehe intelligence get it?? - sorry) - my lack of experience.

wildmoose31
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
maybe try a FP Radical or FP Radical tour, LM Instinct, Wilson Surge, Bab Pure Drive, definitley try a Prince Diablo MP, also maybe one of the new Prince 03 modles. Ive honestly only used the FP Rad tour, Pure Drive and Diablo MP out of the ones I listed but I think this might be a good start for you

JKenn12
06-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I currently use the Babolat Pure Drive +, and its a great all around racquet. Awesome for serving, solid baseliner, little slow at net, but once you get use to the extra length you can use to your advantage. Racquet isnt for everyone, but wouldnt hurt to demo. I love it!

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, I guess these other guys can't read because none of them recommended a racquet by a company you specifically requested. :-) Anyway, I hope you can demo racquets in the area you live in. To start with, I'd try the Prince O3 Red and Tour. And maybe NoBadMojo will chime in here with his recommendation in the Volkl line up for you. Sorry, I'm not up on Dunlop and Slazenger products.

MChong
06-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I agree that you should give the Diablo a try, either the MP or Mid, possibly both. I've heard some good news about the O3 Tour as well so that could be worthy of trying out. Dunlops, I think a 300g would be good for you, not sure about the M-fil - never tried it; Slazenger, the Pro Braided Henman was a decent frame, but they don't have it at TW anymore.

bdaniels
06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...I will defenitely give the Dunlop 200g and 300g a demo, as well as the Prince Diablo MP...I look forward to hearing back from Volkl fans on what to demo...for some reason I just like the way Volkl's look...im all about euro stuff too hehe.

LafayetteHitter
06-06-2005, 10:46 PM
On the Volkl front I would say these ranging from a hair under 11 ounces strung to right at 12 ounces.
V1 Catapult Midplus (keep in mind there is a new V1 coming out), I know it's a 102" you have to play with a V1 to see what it's all about.
Tour 10 Gen 2
and the Tour 10 midplus V-engine

I think those would be interesting hits for you within the Volkl line, Nobadmojo may chime in here with some other option, but that's my 2 cents.

Scott

krnboijunsung
06-08-2005, 06:38 AM
If you can generate alot of power on your own, you should try the M-Fil 200. It is a control oriented racquet, where if you know how to hit well, you'll have good placement. The only problem is that it doesn't produce power like other racquets. But if you can generate great power on your own, its a very good racquet.

I like my Dunlop 300g. It's just a great all-round racquet with power and control. LM Prestiege is also a really good choice. I got to try one out this week and it hits with great control.

I bought my friends Head i.x3 OS for 30 dollars. It too had too much power, so i sold it to another friend for 60 dollars. 30 dollar profit. :D

Bora
06-08-2005, 07:45 AM

Ti-80 is definitely not a racquet for a 3.0 and its way too big a change from his current racquet.

Bora
06-08-2005, 07:46 AM
I would just get a Volkl V1 of some kind and concentrate on getting better.

rooski
06-08-2005, 08:02 AM
I apologise since I'm no expert in rackets and my knowledge of them is fairly limited but judging by your specs you could try the:
Wilson nTour
Wilson N-code six-one team
Wilson Prostaff Tour 95

The guy says he is a 3.0 NTRP player....None of these rackets make any sense for him. This post and many others are suggesting the guy try advanced player rackets. The guy most likely needs a tweener racket (as he suggests) or a better game improvement stick.

My .02....Try O3 Red, Head LM Instinct (don't give up on Head), Volkl Cat V-1, Babolat Pure Drive, or NCode N4 or N5.

krnboijunsung
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
i.radicals are good too.