PDA

View Full Version : appealing down if denied by auto-appeal

CSquared
11-09-2010, 08:24 AM
While not a probability, there is a chance I will get bumped up after the year end ratings come out. What options does one have if auto-appealing doesn't change your rating? If I get bumped I will only have the option to play mixed locally, and will have to commute to atlanta to play men's. Anybody have some insight?

goober
11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
If your autoappeal fails, you have slim chances to change your rating.

Medical appeal- most of the time doesn't work from what I have heard. You have to prove you have a permanent disability.

If you are over 60 you can rerate in 2 years instead of 3.

polski
11-09-2010, 11:01 AM
You'll have to take your lumps for a year or two. By then, either enough people are bumped up that you can hang with -or- you'll adjust to the game at the higher level & be OK.

From what I have heard & experienced, it is about a 12-15 month process adjusting to the level of play after a bump up.

Wakenslam
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Be proud of your new rating and play the higher level. What's the worst thing that could happen?

marcl65
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Be proud of your new rating and play the higher level. What's the worst thing that could happen?

I think you guys are missing the point (or I am) - the OP is trying to get out of having to travel to play USTA.

I know of one instance where a guy was bumped to 4.5 in our area but there were no teams available to play. He appealled on these grounds and was granted a lower rating...however, the very next year he was bumped up again.

J_R_B
11-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I think you guys are missing the point (or I am) - the OP is trying to get out of having to travel to play USTA.

I know of one instance where a guy was bumped to 4.5 in our area but there were no teams available to play. He appealled on these grounds and was granted a lower rating...however, the very next year he was bumped up again.

If that is the case, then you are screwed. Play with your friends or find enough friends to create a local team.

CSquared
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
My issue is really just one of time and cost. I want to play league tennis without having to drive an hour +. I'm not the best player in my local league at my level and have already been bumped once this year (which was deserved). I'm just hoping the USTA doesn't shift people upwards as aggressively as they did last year.

Wakenslam
11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Oh OK that makes sense. Getting bumped to a level with nobody to play against would not be much fun! Surely USTA will make an exception unless you destroyed everybody.

marcl65
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
My issue is really just one of time and cost. I want to play league tennis without having to drive an hour +.
I hear you. The idea of blowing close to an entire day (1 hr+ drive, 2+ hours play, .5 hours post-match chatting, 1 hr+ drive back) doesn't appeal to me either. I know the spousal unit wouldn't be pleased. Unfortunately, I know there are some areas where travelling is your only option. You should try to appeal your rating to the local coordinator. If they don't have a team (travelling or otherwise) in your area you might have a shot.

I'm just hoping the USTA doesn't shift people upwards as aggressively as they did last year.
Wouldn't this help you? More people at your new level means more teams right?

CSquared
11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I guess it could go either way. I would imagine fewer people will be making the jump from 4.5-5.0 than 4.0-4.5. I'm sure i will cope regardless of what happens

HookEmJeff
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I hear you. The idea of blowing close to an entire day (1 hr+ drive, 2+ hours play, .5 hours post-match chatting, 1 hr+ drive back) doesn't appeal to me either. I know the spousal unit wouldn't be pleased. Unfortunately, I know there are some areas where travelling is your only option. You should try to appeal your rating to the local coordinator. If they don't have a team (travelling or otherwise) in your area you might have a shot.

Wouldn't this help you? More people at your new level means more teams right?

Learn to win faster is all I'd say. Or drive faster. Don't take up golf, either. Four-plus hours of play is the norm.

Jeff