PDA

View Full Version : What are your criteria for joining a league team?

johndagolfer
11-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Last year I joined a team that I got thrown into. That team didn't do well and has since disbanded.

If you had 3 choices of 3.5 team which would you chose

1) A team that has formal practices. Recruits players. Generally does well, but you will not know anyone on the team

2) A team that is pretty steady across the board. But don't have the top talent to be the top team (maybe second) The prior year they finished just out of the playoffs but their #2 got bumped up. You know most of the members on this team and get along with them

3) A team that is top heavy and bottom heavy. This team is the wildcard team. The top part of the team is going to win their share of matches. The bottom half is definitely going to pull this team down. It's a team put together more for social fun, but has the upside if the bottom half of the team puts some work in before league.

This is my situation. I am a strong 3.5 (I've beaten 3 4.0's this summer) and probably could give a boost to whichever team I join. Last year while I weighed 255 pounds I went 5-2 for singles (fairly competitive matches). During the summer I've lost a ton of weight down to 210 pounds. I am moving faster and my strokes are getting much more polished.

I like friendship and fellowship, but I am also very competitive. Last seasons dead last team for my first team really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Based on that which team would you choose?

OrangePower
11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Your thread asks what are 'your' criteria for joining a team... but your post is asking for advice based on your specific requirements.

Anyway, 'my' criteria prioritize being part of a team that I enjoy hanging out with over a team that is built to win. The way I look at it, the quality of my matches depends on my opponents, not my teammates. But I spend a lot of time with my teammates so it needs to be a good social fit. I don't really care about playoffs and all that stuff - as long as a get a good amount of matches in during the league season I'm happy.

So for me I would choose team #2.

But for you, I would choose team #1. Reading between the lines of your post, I get the feeling that you want to be part of a strong playoff bound team.

johndagolfer
11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Your thread asks what are 'your' criteria for joining a team... but your post is asking for advice based on your specific requirements.

Anyway, 'my' criteria prioritize being part of a team that I enjoy hanging out with over a team that is built to win. The way I look at it, the quality of my matches depends on my opponents, not my teammates. But I spend a lot of time with my teammates so it needs to be a good social fit. I don't really care about playoffs and all that stuff - as long as a get a good amount of matches in during the league season I'm happy.

So for me I would choose team #2.

But for you, I would choose team #1. Reading between the lines of your post, I get the feeling that you want to be part of a strong playoff bound team.

Thanks Orange, I guess I should have asked, if you had to choose a team for the first time do you prefer knowing your team members and have a rigid training or do you prefer the more relaxed atmosphere.

Are most people's criteria for joining a league winning...or having a good time.

I love having a good time with my teammates, I just would enjoy it even moreso if we were winning.

Cindysphinx
11-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks Orange, I guess I should have asked, if you had to choose a team for the first time do you prefer knowing your team members and have a rigid training or do you prefer the more relaxed atmosphere.

Are most people's criteria for joining a league winning...or having a good time.

I love having a good time with my teammates, I just would enjoy it even moreso if we were winning.

I seem to be happiest when I am on a team that is in the top half of teams. I have been on the top team, and I have been on the bottom team. Being on the bottom can be a real drag. But being on the top team can bring out some seriously crazy behavior in a few people, and that's hard to tolerate when the Grand Prize should you win Nationals is a towel or some such.

Anyway, I've learned and decided that being on a team is a big time commitment, so I don't join a team unless I feel confident that it will be a good experience. Meaning I know I will get good doubles partners (with "good" meaning reasonable tennis skills and outstanding personal skills).

In your case, I think you should go with the team most likely to advance, which is Team No. 1. Still, I wouldn't commit until ratings come out. If that team loses a lot of its stars, that is something you should factor into your decision.

dlk
11-10-2010, 05:10 AM
I was on a team, where I did not know anyone hardly, but we were decent. I still had fun & met alot of new people. We won our WTT league (8-0) & I did not know anyone versus a Mixed league where I knew everyone, but we were like 3-5; winning team was the more pleasurable. But I could see being on a male team, where everyone is social friends (outside tennis) seems like it would be fun, despite tennis success. I saw several male teams that had alot of fun, their commraderie was sound & they would all go out after matches, etc..

spot
11-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Just because you don't know anyone on the team doesn't mean that its not a team that enjoys hanging out. Our team does well, we recruit, have weekly practices. We are also sponsored by a bar and hang out a ton- even if you didn't know anyone else on the team when you joined it would still be a fun team to be on.

So do you know that the upper team is also one where the guys don't ever hang out? Personally that wouldn't do anything for me. So much of what I get out of league is the going out after practices on Thursday nights to watch college football. Or turning Saturday matches into all day affairs where there are second and third stops. There are plenty of hassles that go along with playing on a team- if I didn't like the guys I was playing with then it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

dlk
11-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Just because you don't know anyone on the team doesn't mean that its not a team that enjoys hanging out. Our team does well, we recruit, have weekly practices. We are also sponsored by a bar and hang out a ton- even if you didn't know anyone else on the team when you joined it would still be a fun team to be on.

So do you know that the upper team is also one where the guys don't ever hang out? Personally that wouldn't do anything for me. So much of what I get out of league is the going out after practices on Thursday nights to watch college football. Or turning Saturday matches into all day affairs where there are second and third stops. There are plenty of hassles that go along with playing on a team- if I didn't like the guys I was playing with then it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Yeah, that sounds like fun. This is maximizing league experience:)

PinkTennisNinja
11-10-2010, 06:40 AM
The first team I was on was the most laid back team I have encountered. We didn't have practices but we did party :) We were all friends and it was a good two seasons. However we were in the bottom half of the flight both times and didn't win very often. Once I started improving I realized I needed another team that wanted to have fun but at the same time be competitive. My new team was in the top three of our flight and we all had a great time :) It's all about finding a team that wants the same things as you. There is plenty of teams around here that are so competitive that they've lost friends over stupid little things. And there are plenty of teams also that just want to be social and aren't worried about competing (and will never get bumped up). It's all about finding a happy medium :)

JavierLW
11-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Above all of those ideas, being a doubles player, my main criteria is:

- WHO MY PARTNER IS GOING TO BE, OR CAN I PICK MY OWN?

It seems selfish I know, but having a great partner can really fix any ill when it comes to the team. Even if the team sucks and nobody cares, at least if you have a good partner you can have a good match.

The worst part in my opinion about joining any team is when you just get randomly paired with people that you cant work with.

cknobman
11-10-2010, 07:45 AM
My main concern is usually -

Will they let me on the team?

johndagolfer
11-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Actually those are the 3 teams that have approached me so far. I wouldn't say I was the best 3.5 in our area, but going 5-2 in singles at 255 pounds after a 10 year layoff, and now being 210 and with a year of practice under my belt I would say I could really help any team I join win quite a few games.

It's funny how that #1 team even got my contact information. 2, 3 I practice with in a social setting, but I don't even know anyone on team #1

dlk
11-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually those are the 3 teams that have approached me so far. I wouldn't say I was the best 3.5 in our area, but going 5-2 in singles at 255 pounds after a 10 year layoff, and now being 210 and with a year of practice under my belt I would say I could really help any team I join win quite a few games.

It's funny how that #1 team even got my contact information. 2, 3 I practice with in a social setting, but I don't even know anyone on team #1

Yes, it's flattering when other teams start to recruit you toward the end of the season (for me, those teams are not that strong:)).

cknobman
11-10-2010, 08:42 AM
I say team #1.

I prefer a team that is committed and has formal practices. Also the team actively recruiting shows that they have a desire and hunger to stay on top and even get better.

Of course you dont know anyone but like any other situation in time you will get to know them and maybe even form some new friendships.

Nothing stinks more than being on a team that is mainly together as a form of social fun. Ive been on these and it gets tiresome trying to put together lines every week and getting people to attend a practice. Since is at a social level people tend to be less committed and often find themselves preoccupied with other things which leaves the team in a bind on match days trying to scrap enough players together so they dont forfeit lines or even the match.

dcdoorknob
11-10-2010, 09:20 AM

This is my first thought exactly. :D

Jim A
11-11-2010, 05:21 AM
I've only played with the same core group of guys for the past 2 years of league/twilight.

They were the only people to offer me a spot in '09 for 3.0 since I was a total unkown and we had fun went to the playoffs both times. Most of our squad got bumped up to 3.5.

This year I chose to stay with my guys, always felt I'd be at 3.5 for 2 years. Had some good opportunities, moot anyway since I was injured all year.

Would love to play on a team that does formal practices, drills, and is fun to hang out with.

Looks like we are disbanding this year, which is both good and bad. Good because there is no worry about leaving a team of guys I really like. Bad since I have to be a free agent like everyone else out there and sing for my supper.

It comes down to priorities, do you want to win regardless or be ok with the fact that you may win your matches but lose the tie.

dizzlmcwizzl
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Do you need the practice or do you do enough praticing already?

You are singles player (it sounds like anyway). So any social benefit would not be on the court but after matches or during practice. Is the social aspect that important to you?

I played on two adult teams last summer.

One was with a group of friends that I know and play with frequently. I played with them because it was fun to hang out with these guys and I knew I would get to play a lot of matches as one of the better players. The fun part was important for me ... we just managed to luck and go to sectionals as a bonus.

On the other team I played I was a rent-a-player. The team played in another district and seemed playoof bound. I played just enough matches to qualify for playoffs. I did not know anyone so it seemed like a long drive for tennis especially when I could have played against better players near home for fun.

As primarily a singles player I would always choose the team that would give me the best time and the most opportunity to play. As a doubles player I would always go where the best partner for me was.

darrinbaker00
11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I only have two small requirements:

1. I play #1 singles.
2. I have a car pick me up for all road matches.

If you can meet those two small requirements, I'll gladly play for you. ;)

cll30
11-12-2010, 09:40 PM
#2 based on your choices. That's basically the team I chose last year, and we did make it to the playoffs. The whole team is also gay, so there's that minor qualification as well.

MNPlayer
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I like regular practices and team members that are working to improve, because that's my mindset. I also like hanging out and socializing after matches, that's equally important to me. Right now getting to playoffs is not a big deal, maybe someday I'll be motivated by that. I've made some pretty good friends in tennis, not just in Usta. That's been one of the most rewarding things actually, even though it wasn't the original motivation.

dizzlmcwizzl
11-13-2010, 08:17 AM
#2 based on your choices. That's basically the team I chose last year, and we did make it to the playoffs. The whole team is also gay, so there's that minor qualification as well.

Before I spend any time thinking about this ... I want to know if it was a mens team or a womans team?

cll30
11-13-2010, 10:07 PM
^^^ it is a men's team