PDA

View Full Version : No Fans of the RDX500 mid?

stevewcosta
04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Just wondering why not much has been said yet. Maybe it's too early and demos have been limited. Anyone out there loving this racquet?

Roforot
04-20-2004, 11:28 AM
I wait for the demos to arrive at TW. After that more comments will follow.

brijoel
04-20-2004, 11:41 AM
i tested it out from a local shop.....the racquet felt nice on serves, but i didnt like it for much else. there just wasnt enough mass behind the ball to get that nice solid feel to me. it doesnt hit poorly or anything, this is just a personal preference. i can say this though, the racquet was a 4 3/8, and with yonex the bigger the grip size you go the heavier the racquet is. sure enough, i picked up one in my actual grip size (4 5/8 ) and unstrung it weighed closer to what the strung 4 3/8 racquet did than an unstrung 4 3/8. sadly no one gets demos in anything above 4 1/2 though.

steebo
04-20-2004, 11:48 AM
I have hit with this racquet almost everyday for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it. I consider it the weak man's "players" stick. Although I have had to string at a lower tension than I have ever played with, I still get great topspin, and my chip-charge game is coming back. I think it is ideal for someone who can't swing the 12+ oz anymore, but not wanting to go to the 9-10 oz stiff racquets. I don't serve quite as hard with this racquet, but feel like my game has improved in all areas. Thank you Matt Benton for selling me this. I highly recommend a demo

stevewcosta
04-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Brijoel,
Don't Yonex 1/2 and 5/8 grips share the same weight? I know 3/8 is lighter, but I didn't think there were three weight classes.
1.) 3/8 and smaller
2.) 1/2 and larger

I could be wrong.

@wright
04-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I've owned yonex racquets of the same model in 4 5/8 and 4 1/2, and the 5/8 was a couple tenths of an ounce heavier. It is noticeable.

brijoel
04-20-2004, 12:30 PM
i know the rd ti 70 felt different from 4 1/2 to 4 5/8, they didnt have a 4 1/2 in stock so there wasnt a way for me to tell. however, the reason yonex puts them into two weight classes is because they had to draw a line somewhere i suppose. this doesnt mean there wont still be a weight difference from one gripsize up to the next. thus, this is the reason im still considering going over to the rdx 500, but im waiting on a demo off the mp tour 1 mid firs,t as well as a the tour 90 before and two others before i make a final decision. as of right now im taking serious consideration between sticking with my prostaff or the yonex rd ti 70. a big reason im considering the rd ti 70 is because ive found em for 90 bucks a pop and for a racquet of that caliber its hard to beat, especially with the influx of REDICULOUSLY priced player's racquets recently.

Dennis Anyone?
04-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Picked up a RDX500 Mid yesterday after having a thoroughly enjoyable demo week. I'd also given the following a go: Diablo MP, NXG Midplus, C10 Pro, MP-Tour 1 Mid and Midplus, V-Engine 10, Head Instinct. I had a good experience with the MP-Tour 1 Midplus, but felt I couldn't whip the head around as fast as I'd like. The Mid was terrific, but had a touch more power than I was looking for. The RDX500 arrived and I was sold.

Demo was a 3/8; purchased a 1/2. Not sure I'll notice a weight difference, as I've already added lead at the 3, 9 and 12. And an overgrip. Off the shelf it felt light--very head-light--and needed mass. Not for stability, but to aid in hitting a heavier ball. The lightness, however, is appreciated via supermaneuverability at net. Flex and feel are wonderful on groundies. Generally, I hit errors long rather than into the net, but I've had an easy time swinging away and keeping the ball inside the lines. Serves have less pop than with the MP-Tour 1 Mid, but great spin and control.

My local shop has been selling far more (non-HD) Midpluses than Mids. They were almost discouraging in their surprise that I wanted the smaller head. "Less forgiving, etc." I haven't been framing balls. I learned with flexible racquets with small heads, standard length, lower power . . . . I don't think I ever benefitted from my almost two-year adventure with the PD+. I agree with TW that this stick plays bigger than its listed headsize--I haven't missed the extra inches.

If you care, my runner-up was the C10 Pro. (Plush, but couldn't generate enough pop. I'm reasonably fit; must be my strokes. Love to have one in my bag, though.) My all-time fave is the Max 200G. These were both Mac's choice, weren't they? The Max 300i also deserves a mention, however flawed it's manufacturing. (Torn grommet holes at the bottom of the head. Again and again. And again.)

All Baseline
04-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Can you tell me where are you finding the RD Ti 70s?

i know the rd ti 70 felt different from 4 1/2 to 4 5/8, they didnt have a 4 1/2 in stock so there wasnt a way for me to tell. however, the reason yonex puts them into two weight classes is because they had to draw a line somewhere i suppose. this doesnt mean there wont still be a weight difference from one gripsize up to the next. thus, this is the reason im still considering going over to the rdx 500, but im waiting on a demo off the mp tour 1 mid firs,t as well as a the tour 90 before and two others before i make a final decision. as of right now im taking serious consideration between sticking with my prostaff or the yonex rd ti 70. a big reason im considering the rd ti 70 is because ive found em for 90 bucks a pop and for a racquet of that caliber its hard to beat, especially with the influx of REDICULOUSLY priced player's racquets recently.

Jerry Seinfeld
04-21-2004, 02:11 AM
I have some used ti - 70's for sale. Please contact me using cokebear5@yahoo.com if you are interested.

AAAA
04-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Wilson, Head and Prince are the more well known and used brands plus they have released players racquets recently. Also Babalot has a high profile right now with many tour players using their racquets/paint jobs. With all the recent Tour 90, Tour 95, Diablo, NXG and LM Prestige releases Yonex has it's work cut out. Personally I want to try a RDX 500 mid-size(Haven't seen any other recent sub 93" head frame with a 16X18 string pattern).