PDA

View Full Version : Backhand

JKenn12
06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Up until the last year or so I always had a weak backhand. I got some help and developed a very good one-handed backhand. The problem is that it isnt as consistent as I would like. So I figured I would give the two-handed a shot. At first it was tough, but now I can hit it at the same level as my one handed. My question/dilema is that I cant decide which one to continue to use and practice with so I can continue to improve and become a better player. So I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the pros/cons/differences between the two types so I can decide which one to continue to work on. Thanks!

Rickson
06-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Up until the last year or so I always had a weak backhand. I got some help and developed a very good one-handed backhand. The problem is that it isnt as consistent as I would like. So I figured I would give the two-handed a shot. At first it was tough, but now I can hit it at the same level as my one handed. My question/dilema is that I cant decide which one to continue to use and practice with so I can continue to improve and become a better player. So I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the pros/cons/differences between the two types so I can decide which one to continue to work on. Thanks!
Oh well, here we go again. The 2 hander is a good, stable grip for returns on balls with heavy pace. The 2 hander is also easier for beginners to learn topspin with because of the wiping motion. The 1 hander is better for reach and no doubt, slicing. I'm a convert from the 2 handed to the single. Do what you feel good with, but imho, the 1 hander is the more advanced stroke and I like it a lot more than the 2hbh. If you already have a 1hbh, don't take a backwards step and switch to the 2hbh. Stick with the 1 hander.

JKenn12
06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestion!

Return_Ace
06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Go with what Rickson says, I myself have a two-handed backhand but am in the process of changing it to a single hander because of the reasons that ^^^ has stated, if both are the same level then the one hander seems the better choice.

kevhen
06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Use both two hander when you have time and can drive the ball and then one-hander when on defense and need to slice the ball back to stay in the point. That is what I do. One-hander alone takes a long time to master. Two hander is easier to master but is difficult to slice with and harder on low and stretched out shots. Use both in my opinion with 2 hander as base and one hander for defense and possibly approach shots.

Leon
06-06-2005, 12:35 PM
If you can hit both it's the best. I think two handed is great for returning a serve, for everything I like one handed.
It takes time to get a consistent one handed, hit a wall, do it as a worm up, every time you play for 5-10min and it will improve really fast

Rickson
06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Use both two hander when you have time and can drive the ball and then one-hander when on defense and need to slice the ball back to stay in the point. That is what I do. One-hander alone takes a long time to master. Two hander is easier to master but is difficult to slice with and harder on low and stretched out shots. Use both in my opinion with 2 hander as base and one hander for defense and possibly approach shots.That's using a 2 hander because using both kinds of backhands would have to include flat and topspin drives with the 1 hander. Every pro slices with 1 hand, but there are no pros who use the 2 hander who topspin with the 1 hander. You're basically telling him to use a 2 hander and not actually suggesting he use both backhands.

bigcattennis
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I have struggled with this question myself of one or two handed. I switched in college during the offseason and have used the one hander ever since. I believe it comes down to style- if you are a grinder or counter puncher the two hander is the better choice. If you want to attack the net wether it be serve and volley or attack off the baseline and volley a lot the one hander is probably the most effective. If you look at the pros they usually follow this pattern.

I happen to be more of a counter puncher dictating with the forehand and consistant in all other areas. This has caused me to often think of switching back to two hands as I beleive it is more effective with this style.

Rickson
06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I have struggled with this question myself of one or two handed. I switched in college during the offseason and have used the one hander ever since. I believe it comes down to style- if you are a grinder or counter puncher the two hander is the better choice. If you want to attack the net wether it be serve and volley or attack off the baseline and volley a lot the one hander is probably the most effective. If you look at the pros they usually follow this pattern.

I happen to be more of a counter puncher dictating with the forehand and consistant in all other areas. This has caused me to often think of switching back to two hands as I beleive it is more effective with this style.
Cat, I'll tell you the same thing as to the author. Don't take a backwards step.

akj27
06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Just wondering, Is it okay to use both? I like both equally

Rickson
06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Absolutely not! A 2hbh is often hit in an open stance while the 1hbh is hit from a closed stance. You can't have your cake and eat it too so do what I did, use the one hander.

TennsDog
06-06-2005, 05:50 PM
I used to use a 1h, but switched to 2 after freshman year of high school at the discretion of my coach. My 1h was rather inconsistant, but I really took off with the 2h. The 2 is much more solid in general and can generate a lot of pace and spin, but the 1h is better for variety, angles, and touch. I personally use the 2h for topspin and have a great 1h slice, which came from years of a 1h backhand. I do not advocate using both as normal shots, as that would just cause too much thinking and open up too much indecision during play. You should pick one and run with it, both literally and figuratively. One way to improve a 2h backhand, if that is what you choose, is to practice hitting with your nondominant hand. Bottom line: if they are truely equal, stick with the 1h because it will give you more variety and room to develop and you are more used to it. Otherwise, use what is most comfortable and consistant.

Marius_Hancu
06-06-2005, 06:47 PM
just in case you need more pointers

search
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?
keyword: backhand
forum: Tips/Instructions
search titles only

tens of threads ....

paulfreda
06-06-2005, 07:50 PM

Well this is unusual but I see no reason why not.
Over the years you will likely vary the ratio of shots hit with one or the other but some shots call for the 2hbh (forced to hit with open stance, or are late where the left hand acting as a forehand makes the shot possible)
and others for the 1hbh .... slice, wide ball, etc.
The best and most beautiful BHs are one handers (Gaudio, Kuerten, Henin-Hardene, Haas) but the most consistent are probably the 2 handers (Hewitt, Agassi)

More importantly, you do not need to ask permission to try something out even if you have never heard of it or seen it before. Just do it and find out for yourself. Most of the greatest strokes ever seen had never been seen before the originator had the guts to use them ... Budge's BH grip with thumb down the handle, Borg's big topspin, Laver's rolling topspin BH, etc., In golf you have Trevino's club rerouting and Nicklaus' flying elbow.

Experiment and see what works for you. And not only in tennis, in life.

Grandslam
06-07-2005, 12:14 AM
2 hander is good for high balls and for the overhead to the backhand side. One hander for everything else.