PDA

View Full Version : Help on returning serves

babolatgr
06-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I play 3rd singles on my high school's varsity tennis team and I am having some trouble returning serves that have a lot of pace on them or a big kick. I usually end up slicing them high and slow and they bounce on the service line ready to be driven by my opponent. I usually lose 6-4 or 6-3 just because of my poor serve returns. How can I get the ball lower and deeper with more pace on really fast, or kicking serves?

TwistServe
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Well you have step in and take it before it gets too high. I used to think this was tough but I've been practicing this a lot.. Have a partner hit a buncha kickserves over and over and step in. Time your split step and move in.. make sure the ball does not get high.. and then do a short compact swing.. the pace of the ball will give enough pace for the return... now when i return second serves, I start just at the baseline but make contact with the ball half way to the service line.. i think its a lot easiser to hit the closer you get

JKenn12
06-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Speaking from personal experiance I've found that when playing someone with a powerful serve you just need to meet the ball and use their power against them. If their serving hard you dont need to generate your own pace. To me, its very similar to a volley, its almost a short punch at the ball rather then an all out swing. Just practice placing the ball deep on the baseline using their power. On kick serves its all about anticipation for me. Predicting what type of spin, location, and depth their going to use based on their toss, and other cues they may give off. Also, if someone hits a good "twist" serve to you I've found it much easier to step up and take it earlier then other types of serves. These suggestions may not be the best, but they work great for me, and returning is one of the best parts of my game. Hopefully someone can give you more detailed suggestions! Also these things are much easier said then done, so just keep practicing!

Kathy
06-06-2005, 06:29 PM
For high bouncing kick serves try moving in to take them at the top of the bounce and hit down. You can follow this return to net.

For fast serves, I too find that the best thing is to use the serve's own power. Short backswing. Sometimes all you need to do is block the ball back.

Make sure you take dead aim at a target.

msn
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Have your practice partner hit serves from the service line (you get used to it quickly), and concentrate on minimizing your backswing...

It really helps with getting the feel of the split/turn/block timing...

Marius_Hancu
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
should you need more pointers:

search at:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?
keyword: return
Forum: Tips/Instructions