PDA

View Full Version : Successful NTRP Appeal in 1 Days

orcat
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I have been reading alot on how difficult the USTA appeals process is. I just went through the self rating system. Based on my prior ( > 25 years ago) experience in school, I was automatically locked into a rating that was not indicative of my current skill set. I have spent about 95% of that last 25 years overweight and way out of shape.. oh yeah... didnt play tennis either.

I appealed this on Monday night and just received the reply from the USTA of their decision to lower my rating to an appropriate level.

One of the things that I pointed out to them is that if my skill level increases over time, then the rating will appropriately self adjust.

I filled out the online appeal with as much detail as I had. I also followed up with a call and email to the regional office.

The reason for sharing this is not a "hey, look what I did" rather that it is possible. These are very nice people that are all volunteers.

I would speculate that most of the problems people complain about fall under some common areas.

1) Not being thorough enough in providing as much information as possible
2) asking or demanding for a ridiculous adjustment
3) something about their appeal is fishy.

As I always tell my son, telling the truth is easy. You can always repeat it and don't ever have to worry about having to be convincing.

I am NOT calling those people here who have had appeal problems a cheater or liar. It just struck me as odd how easy and painless the process really was.

Mine was honest and accurate. The response from the USTA was fast and courteous.

dizzlmcwizzl
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
The response from the USTA was fast and courteous.

Now do not get carried away with this positive stuff. Positive comments need to be posted somewhere else, like at the Bowling Wharehouse ... Talk Bowling. Here we complain about line calls, sandbagging and the USTA ... that is it.

In all honesty, I have always found the USTA to be a pretty good gig. Sure sometimes I dont like something but on the whole I have always found this outfit to be pretty fairly organized.

orcat
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Now do not get carried away with this positive stuff. Positive comments need to be posted somewhere else, like at the Bowling Wharehouse ... Talk Bowling. Here we complain about line calls, sandbagging and the USTA ... that is it.

In all honesty, I have always found the USTA to be a pretty good gig. Sure sometimes I dont like something but on the whole I have always found this outfit to be pretty fairly organized.

I agree completely. Not everything always works out nicey nice, but it does happen sometimes.

marcl65
11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I just went through the self rating system.

I believe this is the operative phrase here. Yes, I understand that appealing your self rating is fairly straight forward. I've seen it happen often: misunderstood the questions, clicked the wrong button, etc.

However, appealing a self-rating and a computer-generated rating are two completely different animals.

goober
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I believe this is the operative phrase here. Yes, I understand that appealing your self rating is fairly straight forward. I've seen it happen often: misunderstood the questions, clicked the wrong button, etc.

However, appealing a self-rating and a computer-generated rating are two completely different animals.

Basically this ^^^

JLyon
11-10-2010, 05:39 PM
the self-rate questionaire is so easy to manipulate, hence at 5.0 this year a walk-on at an SEC school and played 5 scrub matches was rated 6.0 and got appeal to 5.5, yet another player from SEC school and double All-American somehow got a 5.0 Self-rate and yet another player from TN one year removed from playing SEC tennis and being #100 D1 Singles got a 5.0 rating. See major issues.

rainman007
11-14-2010, 08:42 AM
the self-rate questionaire is so easy to manipulate, hence at 5.0 this year a walk-on at an SEC school and played 5 scrub matches was rated 6.0 and got appeal to 5.5, yet another player from SEC school and double All-American somehow got a 5.0 Self-rate and yet another player from TN one year removed from playing SEC tennis and being #100 D1 Singles got a 5.0 rating. See major issues.

there is the problem the self rate questionaire is so easy to manipulate.. I'm 95 percent pleased with the USTA.. The system is not perfect but it is pretty good. The only problem with the USTA are the people who manipulate it or cheat not the actual system but some of the people in the system.. My only 2 gripes with the USTA is ALL matches should count and Self Rated mixed players should be subject to DQ just like adult rated players.. If i play 2 adult matches and 32 mixed matches only my 2 adult matches count for my rating.. To get a better accuracy for your rating all matches should count.. Also, its hypocritical to crack down on the people abusing the self rate process during adult season but leaving them safe for the same season at least during mixed.. Overall though, i think they system is pretty good.

rainman007
11-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I have been reading alot on how difficult the USTA appeals process is. I just went through the self rating system. Based on my prior ( > 25 years ago) experience in school, I was automatically locked into a rating that was not indicative of my current skill set. I have spent about 95% of that last 25 years overweight and way out of shape.. oh yeah... didnt play tennis either.

I appealed this on Monday night and just received the reply from the USTA of their decision to lower my rating to an appropriate level.

One of the things that I pointed out to them is that if my skill level increases over time, then the rating will appropriately self adjust.

I filled out the online appeal with as much detail as I had. I also followed up with a call and email to the regional office.

The reason for sharing this is not a "hey, look what I did" rather that it is possible. These are very nice people that are all volunteers.

I would speculate that most of the problems people complain about fall under some common areas.

1) Not being thorough enough in providing as much information as possible
2) asking or demanding for a ridiculous adjustment
3) something about their appeal is fishy.

As I always tell my son, telling the truth is easy. You can always repeat it and don't ever have to worry about having to be convincing.

I am NOT calling those people here who have had appeal problems a cheater or liar. It just struck me as odd how easy and painless the process really was.

Mine was honest and accurate. The response from the USTA was fast and courteous.

I'm not calling you a cheater i dont know you.. Maybe the questionaire needs more questions or if you have been out of tennis 25 years maybe it should deduct more points to your rating but in general if a person answers the question honestly and it gives them a rating thats what they should start at.. Let us know in a few months how your record is on the lower level..