PDA

View Full Version : Second racquet, same racquet?

Sir
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Im thinking about buying a second racquet. Just for backup
For almost 1,5 years, (with original strings) ive been using a:

Pro Kennex Hexar Lite

* Head: 105sq in
* Weight: 265g
* Beam: 25mm
* Length: 27 in
* Comp: Graphite
( I found these stats with google, dunno how to interpret these though!!)

Question 1:
Should I get a copy of this racquet?

Question 2:
While getting steadily(sp) better at tennis should I use other strings settings? If yes then more softer or firmer? They are about to snap.

volleys_tennis_master
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
It sounds like this racquet is really old. You shouldn't try to find an exact copy of it. However, here are some racquets that are pretty similar to the specs you gave.

1. Babolat Drive Z-Lite
2. Babolat Pure Drive Team Standard
3. Volkl Tour 5
4. Volkl Tour 6

Another suggestion for the future: always buy racquets in pairs

Lakoste
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
well, if you play good with your current racquet, then you shouldn't change it, but if you dont like it, then you should demo some racquets based on your needs

also if your serious about playing then you should buy 2 of the same racquet, but if you just play for fun, then theres no need for 2

goober
06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Im thinking about buying a second racquet. Just for backup
For almost 1,5 years, (with original strings) ive been using a:

Pro Kennex Hexar Lite

* Head: 105sq in
* Weight: 265g
* Beam: 25mm
* Length: 27 in
* Comp: Graphite
( I found these stats with google, dunno how to interpret these though!!)

Question 1:
Should I get a copy of this racquet?

Question 2:
While getting steadily(sp) better at tennis should I use other strings settings? If yes then more softer or firmer? They are about to snap.

First question is why are you looking for a backup? If you are not playing competitevly in leagues or tournaments it may not be necessary to get another racquet depending on your situation.

As far the specs. You are playing with a lightweight racquet with thick beam which makes it more powerful. You are also playing with an Oversize head. This type of racquet is called a "game improvement" racquet and is usually used by beginning to low level intermediate level players.

Second question "How serious are you about playing tennis and improving?" If you are just a casual/social player you may be happy with your present racquet. If you are serious in improving you will find that racquet too light and powerful when you get better. In this case buying 2 of those racquets would be a waste.

Baseline Basher
06-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Always have more than one 'copy' of a racquet (2 or more with you at all times) in case you bust a string, or, if you happen to be Marat Safin, your frame. (Maybe bring another chair?)
As for strings, I reccomend 'hybrids', different strings in the crosses and mains. Gives you more power, control, and spin.
You'll probably want to demo some newer racquets. I love my Wilson ProStaff Tour 95's,and they're cheap now (<$99)