PDA

View Full Version : power

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
i have reached a point in tennis where i feel i cannot hit my shots any harder, but i am not even that good. Well, this only applies to my serve and forehand. I use a grip right between sem and western forehands. I bend my knees, rotate, and swing out. When I swing too hard, the ball goes out, or into the net. When i do this on my serve it goes down, or i hit the frame. Please help!!!!!!!!

TwistServe
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
With a relaxed swing, clean contact, and perfect timing.. you can probably get a lot more pace even if you swing slower.. My coach used to demonstrate this many times in class

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
oh i am a 4.5 player

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't think a 4.5 player would make those mistakes.

Swing too hard? By simply using trunk rotation, legs, a normal takeback, and extending into the ball, you're already generating a great amount of pace. You seem to be mentioning the swing, which might mean that you're trying to incorporate wrist into the shot, or simply muscle the ball.

By swinging too hard or using the wrist, are you hitting the frame? Or just contacting the ball at an awkward angle? Just try to meet the ball on your sweetspot out in front of you.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
well by harder for serve i mean i want to get to 110-115 mph. For the forehand i just want to hit it really, really hard. When i look at my high school players i dont beat them in power, or placement. I need to win in one of these categories. I do not make the mistakes often for my forehands, but i do it maybe 1 out of 5, that is when i really want to crush the ball though (also i may not do this at the wisest times).

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I know. By focusing more on hitting the sweetspot and hitting it out in front (which seem might be your major mistakes in mishits), you'll eventually develop more power. It's not about the wrist either. Please tell me what you're doing during your strokes.

For serves, just make sure your arm is relaxed. DON'T muscle the ball, you just want a whiplike motion through it. That means you have to be relaxed. Muscles or raw power don't matter too much, although shoulder muscles might. Height is another factor in hitting the ball flatter.

Focus on tossing consistently, and pulling your racquet back with plenty of separation. If you've got that, work on bending your knees a lot during the toss/takeback. It should happen simultaneously. With practice, a lot of knee bend comes naturally during the motion. Also, your trunk should be turned at least sideways as long as possible -shoulder/torso rotation is a large factor in adding more mph.

Keep in mind it's hard for many pros to reach over 110. Also note that placement is worth MORE than power.

MegacedU
06-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Also adding to what Kana said, make sure you drop your arm back behind your head (backscratch). That alone can generate you a lot of power.

Marius_Hancu
06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
seek consistently relaxed sweetspot contact, good timing

extended arm on service

you must have the feel that your racket and stringbed are working for you, not fighting with you

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
When hitting my forehand i hit with an open stance. I get down low, with a lot of shoulder turn, then i bring my body around. I can get a bit more power if i really concentrate on the shoulder turn. I do not really use my wrist, i actually do not even think of it when hitting the shot. When i jump it is usually on purpose (is this bad?)

on my serve even though i am a righty, when i go for pure power, i hit down the middle more often than not on the deuce court, and usually hit out wide ont the add court. Is this bad? I use some knee bend, although my toss sometimes is very inconsistent.

Last thing, i was wondering when coming up to hit the ball on serve, should you hit the ball from right to left, or left to right :
(- this way to the ball
) -or this way

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Jumping may be another factor.

Open stance forehands usually DO carry you off the ground. However, this is simply from the momentum and stroke. It's not done intentionally.

There ARE jumping two handed backhands, however, a lot of that is because it's extremely hard to get high balls there if you don't. You shouldn't be jumping, especially since your one handed forehand with a moderately extreme grip should be letting you easily get any high balls on the forehand side.

Try not jumping, post whatever results you get when you've practiced a bit without it.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
i edited my last question, to include a bit more

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm assuming you're a righty.

You should be coming over your right shoulder (elbow leading, snap/pronate) and finishing on the other side naturally.

Or do you mean moving right or left with your arm to hit the ball? Generally, flat (or sort of flat, no such thing as no spin) are tossed at about a 1'o'clock angle. This is pretty much a normal swing path, your arm doesn't have to move really. You want power, so I'm assuming this is what you're talking about. Some people toss at even a 12'o'clock angle, aiming for more power. However, this is less consistent, and not even within your full snapping motion since you have to move your arm to get it.

I'm sorry, I hope that answers your question.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 03:46 PM
i was asking when swinging to the ball should i move my arm from left to right, or should i move it from right to left

grrrrrrrrrr, this question is really hard to word, srry

should i make my arm hit the ball when swinging in a counterclockwise, or clockwise direction,
also which way should my wrist pronate?

i am a right handed person

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, your racquet should almost always end up on the opposite side of your body. That's pretty much a right to left. If you're swinging the other way sometimes, something is seriously wrong.

What grip are you using for serves? If you've got a continental, the full wrist snap and pronation should happen naturally. Also, pronation only occurs one way. Take your palm and have it face the sky. Turn your arm over so your palm is facing the ground. That's wrist/forearm pronation.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
i use continental grip for my serve, but sometimes if i dont pronate purposefly the serve goes long. When i do get my first serve in it varies widely in pace depending on the day, sometimes up to 95, sometimes around 70. Althought it usually stays in the middle, when i have extreme days it varies that much.

o yea about that left to right thing, i always end up on the right side but i am talking about just swinging up to the ball. It might be this that gets to me, before i thought about this my serve was perfect, then i started fiddling with it and my serve went down the drain

and for the pronation of the wrist, which way should you pronate, down, to the left or to the right.

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Are you leading with your elbow? Most, if not all snap and pronation should come from just whipping through. If you have a coach, I'd have him look at your serve. Or just get someone with experience to examine it.

If it's not pronating that much naturally, it's possible you're just muscling the ball, you're too stiff, or you're gripping the racquet too tightly. Try swinging with just three fingers, it'll just help you get the looseness.

Leon
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
In addition to what Kana sad, do you hit through the ball? Really hit through it? You should try to keep it on the string bed as long as you can, that's where the power comes from. You might be raising you racquet up too soon.

Also about jumping, as Kana sad, I would stop jumping, it possible you lose control of your stroke when you jump. You might abbreviate you stroke or do some other mistake, as a result of jump.

IMO, jump doesn't give you power, it's result of a huge swing, and it helps you to recover fast, but it doesn't add to the power.

FedererUberAlles
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Just relax, I promise it will come togethor. Generating more headspeed without jerking will help from what I can tell too. But I'm not that good so feel free to disregard my advice.

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
ill try all the advice and get back to you in a couple days

FREDDY
06-06-2005, 07:40 PM
i have reached a point in tennis where i feel i cannot hit my shots any harder, but i am not even that good. Well, this only applies to my serve and forehand. I use a grip right between sem and western forehands. I bend my knees, rotate, and swing out. When I swing too hard, the ball goes out, or into the net. When i do this on my serve it goes down, or i hit the frame. Please help!!!!!!!!

ummmm.... you learned all wrong. power isnt everything. if you wanna get better well umm.....

redtennis55
06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
well guys (and girls), i know that 1 day of serving is not enough but here goes. I did feel some difference when imagining my arm as a whip, and i did not have to conciously pronate. I am now working placement. I did connect once or twice perfectly and the serve was really good.

Also to improve my playing under pressure i played a game where if i got my first serve in it was a pt, and i played four points in game. It really was hard because i only did it for first serve. Then i did it for second serve. It seems like it will help.

Kana Himezaki
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Good practice. It's hard to sort of imagine your arm as a whip, but you get used to it. A relaxed arm produces more velocity than when you muscle through the ball.

For drills under pressure, I'd also try this:

You're at 0-40. If your serve (first or second) goes in, it's a point. Try to win the game. Make sure you practice the things you're trying to correct here, or it won't have much purpose.

redtennis55
06-08-2005, 03:21 PM
the only problem i have now is that a lot of my first serves go out (long).

Kana Himezaki
06-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Usually, a higher toss means less consistency, especially for players not used to working with it. But in your case, it might mean you need to get more over the ball. At what point in the ball are you usually making contact? Some players (beginners to 3.0 pretty much) don't bother getting "over" the ball at all -their racquet actually starts under it and they're more pushing out. This even creates underspin, long balls, and a severe limit on pace.

I don't think that's your problem since you've said you're past 70 mph. But it will help to really try to get over the ball, you might be hitting slightly lower.

Another possible reason is you might be going to much forward, and not enough upward in your motion. Tossing slightly outward is great, you SHOULD be moving into the court a little. But keep in mind when serving, you're directing most of your energy UPWARD, into the ball and racquet at contact. You may be pushing through, but not enough up in order to put more of your weight into the serve.

Try that. When rotating your shoulders, bending your knees, whatever -direct most of the energy upward as much as possible.

redtennis55
06-09-2005, 02:12 PM
what do you mean by over the ball. Today when i went out and served again i had a little more success, i think it was because i was practicing my topspin serve and my flat serve. I could have used topspin on the first serve.

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
By over the ball, I mean your racquet at contact is hitting some of the top part of the ball, you're not contacting it on the bottom or middle of it.

Hitting in the middle, as many players believe they should always do, results in some long and netted balls. With proper extension, and getting slightly over the ball -your shots will have a little more pace than otherwise, and also not go long as often.

redtennis55
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh, I was wondering how to get my second serve faster. Right now i can get a moderate amount of topspin, but it is maybe 40- 45 mph. I toss it at around twelve, a little behind my head, bend my knees, and i hit it as it is coming down.