PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to State

HFS
11-11-2010, 07:09 AM
My combo team made it to the state championship. This is my first year playing USTA league, so it's my first trip to state. What should I expect? Is it basically the same as the regular season league matches but with better competition? Is it cold and cut throat? Thanks in advance.

clintontiger
11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Really just depends, I too made my first trip to combo state a couple of weeks ago. Be very wary of self-rates, the draw we were in maybe said 6.5 combo but it was pretty much playing 7.5 combo the competition was so stiff. That being said we watched some of the other draws and the guys in those draws were your basic 6.5 teams, so I guess what i'm saying is if you get a good draw then it could turn out well. I found out that you can't have any weak links in your doubles teams if you want to do well. Our number 1 doubles team went 2-1, but number 2 and 3 didn't win a match the whole time down there, and they were good 2 and 3's. However everybody was pleasant and very complimentary during play and the line calling was very fair. I had a great time. Good luck.

cknobman
11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
All of my state trips have been a blast.

You get to go on a small trip with your tennis buds and see some new competition (which is usually a step up from the local stuff).

HFS
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
All of my state trips have been a blast.

You get to go on a small trip with your tennis buds and see some new competition (which is usually a step up from the local stuff).

Thanks for the input. No trip for me. State is being played in my hometown this year.

polski
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input. No trip for me. State is being played in my hometown this year.

That kind of stinks. Half the fun is the road trip, eating out & having a few beers with pals, etc.

dizzlmcwizzl
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Had a great time this year except for one match ... against a team that agressively called lines overly tight and attempted to play mind games on the court.

But if you have a good attitude, roll with the punches and do not let the small stuff get to you you will have a great time. If you get worked up over little things you will become a jaded usta critic in no time.