PDA

View Full Version : Pushers- I'm not bashing them

redtennis55
06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I actually notice that although i hit deep and powerful when practicing, i tend to push during matches. Although i have not really watched any reall good pushers i do pretty well doing this. I do not mean just dink it over, but high with extra topspin on certain shots, and on others placing the ball well. And i really do not mind coming to net, but i usually only do that off of low approaches or when i know i have to close out the point. Should i expand on this style? Or should i stay with the agressive play?

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Moonballs and placement are great. You shouldn't really be pushing as in tapping the ball with a short followthrough, but being able to place the ball and always be consistent will take you pretty far.

The style demands good fitness, lots of agility, tenacity if you want to stick with it, and the ability to get back most balls. You said in the other thread you overhit or get inconsistent when you want to smack it, just stick with hitting the sweetspot, control, and a consistent, normal stroke you can rely on. You'll get plenty of pace anyway.

If you have the speed, willpower, and consistency, it's a great style to play. You have no idea how many people you'll frustrate, because they just can't seem to get by you or seem to have all their "bad days" when playing you.

The style also demands tactics.

Search for a thread called "Why Consistency Works" by a guy named Meat. It's long, but the ending and most of it is worth reading if you want to go into that.

kevhen
06-07-2005, 06:54 AM
I know several 4.5 players who don't hit with that much power but just place the ball well and are extremely consistent. They can hit with power when there is an opening but otherwise they play the percentages and wait for you to make an error or hit a weak shot that they will attack. Power is not the only game and the only way to move up.

TwistServe
06-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I actually notice that although i hit deep and powerful when practicing, i tend to push during matches. Although i have not really watched any reall good pushers i do pretty well doing this. I do not mean just dink it over, but high with extra topspin on certain shots, and on others placing the ball well. And i really do not mind coming to net, but i usually only do that off of low approaches or when i know i have to close out the point. Should i expand on this style? Or should i stay with the agressive play?

I think you should expand your style. Tennis isn't all about winning but advancing to the next level. You don't have to have power to move to the next level but you mentioned you hit with power in practice but in matches you DONT! That means you're holding back and play differently in matches, probably because of nerves or lack of confidence. I say just let it go, build your confidence, and afford to lose a match or two.

lsummers
06-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I really need some advice about pushing. I don't really push at practice or when I am truly playing for fun. But when the pressure is on, I push and I just don't know how to stop it. People keep saying "quit pushing. quit pushing" but not a single person has told me how to stop it. What is the key ingredient to stop pushing? Concentrating on swing? Watching the ball? Racquet head? HELP![/FONT]

Kana Himezaki
06-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, you've already said it. It's just in the matches with the pressure. You need to be playing under more competitive situations, and get used to it.

To you tense up when you hit the ball in the match? Are you focused on "god, it has to be a good shot, it has to be a good shot, I hope I don't push" instead of just the ball?

Forget the match, forget the people watching, hell, forget you ever pushed before, and just concentrate on the ball. By doing it frequently, you'll have much better judgment where the ball is going to be as well. It'll also help get rid of the pressure you succumb to. There isn't really a key ingredient to stop doing it unintentionally, find out what works for you. Just take your normal strokes, and let loose. That does NOT mean swing as hard as you can and fire away, that just means try to relax and think of each stroke as simply hitting the ball you're looking at.

Then once the point is OVER, let it all out. :D That's what I do. I look focused during the point, then I let my every single one of my emotions go while getting ready for the next point.

Dropit
06-11-2005, 11:56 AM
lol people are idiots. whatever wins is better. get over your part machismo part insecure and frustrated that u can't beat pushers rants. tennis is not just a physical contest. it is equal parts a trategic and mental contest. how do people not realize this.

ATXtennisaddict
06-11-2005, 12:14 PM
lol people are idiots. whatever wins is better. get over your part machismo part insecure and frustrated that u can't beat pushers rants. tennis is not just a physical contest. it is equal parts a trategic and mental contest. how do people not realize this.

But don't you want to take yourself to the next level?

redtennis55
06-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, actually you can take yourself a level up with pushing. Becoming a counterpuncher, like Hewitt.

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 02:37 PM

You can do whatever it takes to win and you'll be a 3.5 FOREVER! HAHAH.. When you "push" yourself so that you go for your strokes and have some confidence, you've raised your game!

Perfect example is the second serve hump. Most new players dink their second serve in or half pace it.. When their coach teaches them how to hit a proper topspin/kickserve, they probably practice it enough but in a match they resort back to dinking.. Why? Because probably during the first few months of developing a kickserve you're going to double fault more than not... How do you improve? Accept the fact that you need to LOSE to IMPORVE!