PDA

View Full Version : Imagining A Heavier Ball Is Great

TennsDog
06-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I have always watched pros on TV and thought, "Wow, they just hit and hit and it always goes in." The other day, I realized what that 'look' is. The ball when watching tennis on TV, to me anyway, always looks heavier than it is. I have always tried to play like they look, and it kinda worked, but not for long. Today, I not only tried to play like they look, but I specifically played as though the ball was heavier than it is. I cannot really explain it any better than that. I am not entirely sure why this works so well. Perhaps it involves focusing harder on where my racket head and the ball are, keeping a steady hand/wrist, and driving through the ball better, but I felt like they look. I was hitting with great depth, control, spin, good pace, and dramatically reduced mis-hits. When you play like that, you don't need a lot of pace. I felt like eveyrthing was going in and I had better control over the ball. It was a pretty incredible feeling.

bee
06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Hmm. "Heavier than it looks?" Obviously some form of mental imagery, visualization and such. I like it! Thanks for sharing that. Getting in the groove is a tricky deal. Any suggestions such as yours is appreciated. It's important for me to not be intimidated by a hard-hitting opponent but stand my ground and take big confident swings.

nViATi
06-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I have always watched pros on TV and thought, "Wow, they just hit and hit and it always goes in." The other day, I realized what that 'look' is. The ball when watching tennis on TV, to me anyway, always looks heavier than it is. I have always tried to play like they look, and it kinda worked, but not for long. Today, I not only tried to play like they look, but I specifically played as though the ball was heavier than it is. I cannot really explain it any better than that. I am not entirely sure why this works so well. Perhaps it involves focusing harder on where my racket head and the ball are, keeping a steady hand/wrist, and driving through the ball better, but I felt like they look. I was hitting with great depth, control, spin, good pace, and dramatically reduced mis-hits. When you play like that, you don't need a lot of pace. I felt like eveyrthing was going in and I had better control over the ball. It was a pretty incredible feeling.
i guess it makes you hit more through the ball

papa
06-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Yeah TD, this is an interesting observation that many of us have used. I think you have a tendency to watch the ball a spec better and also to lift up more on your stroke as you mentioned.

TennsDog
06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
This may help to explain why I play better against better players who have fast strokes with lots of spin: the ball does seem "heavier", and it forces me to play that way. Man, don't you love it when things just seem to come together?

Ryoma
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks very much TD, I have been having trouble hitting thought the ball to the the "pop" out of the strokes. I went to the practice court today and experimented with the "heavier ball" thingy. It worked great!!! I can hit the ball pretty hard before (trunk rotation) but more often than not, I totally missed the ball. I usually end up choking the racket. But now I have the key to the kingdom :DDD One thing I want to mention here is that if I keep my arm relax, the rest is even better.