PDA

View Full Version : Playing Styles

CrazyScheiner
06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Could someone give me sites that list the different playing styles of some pros, both new and old (i.e. Ivanisevic, McEnroe, Nadal, Federer). Its a possible plan for next year's season if I play singles.

Kana Himezaki
06-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I think you should just stick with what you've developed by yourself.

There isn't really one site that just lists the playing styles.

Just off the top of my head:

Federer: Allcourt player
Sampras: Allcourt (not a pure S&V, but he did almost constantly when at Wimbledon)
Nadal: Grinder
Borg: Grinder
McEnroe: S&V
Dent: S&V
Agassi: Aggressive baseliner
Ivanisevic: S&V
Hewitt: Counterpuncher/grinder
Chang: Counterpuncher/grinder (pretty much almost same thing, except counterpuncher uses more pace and angles against people, grinder in my mind wears people down more)
Courier: Aggressive Baseliner
Nalbandian: Counterpuncher (he's often described as neutralizing)
Puerta: Aggressive Baseliner (I guess, he was really a great allcourt player at RG)

Do you want women, too? There are a lot more. But you really shouldn't be trying to imitate a pro's game if you're simply not good at it. Plus, every kind of style has at least a few pros using it.

erik-the-red
06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
I'll try to list the styles you've mentioned to the best of my memory. You may wish to consult an older player :)

1. Ivanisevic stood at 6'4" and had one hell of a serve. I think his backhand was better than his forehand. At net, he was somewhat susceptible. The fact that he had such a nice serve allowed him to reach the finals of Wimbledon three times before he won it.

2. McEnroe was a classic serve and volleye and attacker. His serve wasn't very "big", but, like Ivanisevic, he is left-handed and could angle it very well. His style of play was constantly attacking the net. He was very confident in his net game; he'd approach off of almost any shot.

3. Nadal is the modern day Thomas Muster, Sergi Bruguera, Bjorn Borg, and so forth. He plays with a lot of energy. He utilizes an extremely western grip on the forehand and drives up to generate massive topspin.

4. Federer has an all-court game. He is very comfortable at the baseline but will not hesitate to rush the net at his own terms.

CrazyScheiner
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
The reason is because I am going to make a sort of 'Copy Style' for certain situations. First I would have to practice of course, but I am gonna analyze some of their more famous games 'i.e. Nadal v. Federer, Nasdeq-100; McEnroe v. Connors; Chang v. Borg' and see what is useful against what. So lets say I am not doing well at the net, I would move back and play a style similar to Agassi, and sort of 'copy' their notable styles, such as McEnroe's chip and charge or Hewitt's serve. I wont be going as far as to do their actions, like McEnroe's arguements or Kuerten's heavy grunt.

kevhen
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
What would Gonzalez be classified as? Extremely aggressive baseliner?

redtennis55
06-07-2005, 01:30 PM
i was just wondering, how would you get videos of the games?

antontd
06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Federer: Allcourt player
Sampras: Allcourt (not a pure S&V, but he did almost constantly when at Wimbledon)

what the hell? Federer is almost a baseliner(rarely s&v). Sampras - S&Ver. Do you watch tennis? We are not talking about their all-court skills.

Kana Himezaki
06-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Federer is clearly allcourt. Have you seen him approach? Have you seen him play a lot on grass?

I also recall Sampras as an allcourt player at well. Yes, he did S&V frequently, and as I said almost constantly at Wimbledon. But he was far from pure.

erik-the-red
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
According to Robert Lansdorp, in an informal interview by Fox Sports Net at the 1999 L.A. Final, he said that as a kid Sampras had amazing volleys for his age.

I was not old enough to remember the early Sampras years (ie. prior to his first Wimbledon crown), but I thought that he was actually not a serve and volleyer at the time?

Sampras was not a pure serve and volleyer. He would stay back on occassion.

Kana Himezaki
06-07-2005, 03:52 PM
When Sampras was a kid, he played at a club close to where I live. All the local clubs now have his autograph. :P Actually, when he was young, nobody wanted to play him...because he was bad. O.O

Things change, lol. Now they worship him.

stc9357
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
What would Gonzalez be classified as? Extremely aggressive baseliner?
In my mind gonzalez would be a person who tries to take the air out the ball anytime he hits it. I guess you could call him a extremely extremely aggressive baseliner.

antontd
06-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Playing on grass doesn’t make you a S&Ver. Federer won Wimbledeon with less than %33 S&Ving. Sampras was clearly doing it over %66 on any surface. There is a big difference in their styles.
BTW when Roger won Australian Open Pete said that he is great, but needs to approach the net more. I think Federer has been doing this lately.

FREDDY
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
what is grinder?

nViATi
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
i think grinder = keeps on hitting and getting every single ball and waiting for their opponent to mess up or until they get an opportunity to hit a winner

andreh
06-08-2005, 02:26 AM
The definition of a pure S&V player ought to be a player who plays S&V on ALL surfaces, i.e., Edberg is the one who most fits that description.

CrazyScheiner
06-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Wouldnt grinder be considered a pusher/counter-puncher?

TwistServe
06-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Wouldnt grinder be considered a pusher/counter-puncher?

More or less.. a grinder is usually someone that can stay in the back of the court for as long as it takes.. they "grind" it out

Kana Himezaki
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
A grinder, pusher, and counter puncher are all different in my perspective.

A pusher is generally a beginning player, maybe 3.5 at max that develops with an emphasis on consistency rather than power. They are willing to tap the ball back in, and simply get it in with a short stroke while they're opponent destroys themself. They usually develop into a grinder or mostly a counter puncher.

A counter puncher is exactly what the name says. They can use the pace and spin of the opponent to fuel their own shots. If you try to angle the ball, it's likely they have the speed and willpower to get there and angle it back for a winner. They also tend to attack short balls, and force you into errors or weak balls they can put away.

A grinder is as TwistServe said -they grind it out. Nadal is a perfect example. They won't screw up, are extremely tenacious, and often (not always) send heavy topspin balls back into the court. The style often causes people to make more errors, and because the player simply grinds down the opponent.

A counter puncher is more likely than a grinder to try to force certain situations or attack short balls. A grinder is willing to send back everything and pretty much not give up.