PDA

View Full Version : 361 playtest string

Jeewalk
11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
i was wondering. of those who have playtested this string. what poly on the market right now would you compare this string to? i didnt wanna post this on the other thread because i wanted to leave that to just reviews

goran_ace
11-13-2010, 10:53 PM
that's not fair. you got the sample for free as a favor and its supposed to be a blind test. play it for yourself and form your own opinion. by comparing it to other strings or reading other reviews before you play it you are not being objective.

themitchmann
11-14-2010, 05:22 AM
It's not supposed to be a blind playtest...it was sent in the 361 packaging, and we all knew what string we were getting.

The USRSA tests are blind: unmarked strings in unmarked packages.

Doubles
11-14-2010, 05:30 AM
So I have yet to try the string, because I am away from home, but here in China I am seeing a lot of 361 stores here. I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I figured I would share...

themitchmann
11-14-2010, 06:14 AM
So I have yet to try the string, because I am away from home, but here in China I am seeing a lot of 361 stores here. I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I figured I would share...

I think there is a 361 brand in China...mostly athletic apparel from what I understand. I don't think the strings and the clothes are affiliated (but I could be wrong).

nalvarado
11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=354617

Could this be the brand you're referring to?

themitchmann
11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Yup...exactly.

vamos2050
11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
361 tennis string is made by prince. looks they will be launching this string to the public.

Jeewalk
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
you guys still havent answered my question.... just sayin

brownbearfalling
11-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Why do you want to know?

themitchmann
11-16-2010, 05:29 AM
It's stiff. I haven't played with as stiff a string in a while, so I can't really compare it accurately. Maybe PHT?

JoelDali
11-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I cannot compare it to anything because its so unique in the way that it settles and the way that it plays.

Its quite amusing that the term "power, or lack thereof" has taken flight in the other thread. One person states this and 20 others hop on that bandwagon. Its obvious the sophistication and game self-awareness of many playtesters has to be taken with a grain of salt. Myself included, as I'm using a stick that is completely in a different realm than what we see on the courts.

If Pirelli gave me 4 tires to test I wouldn't have any idea how to truly rate them. Its a freakin' tire. If it gets me to work, I like them.

These strings have power, control, feel and other great qualities for me personally in the 88. They are not meant to be strung at 50 pounds in flexible racquets in my opinion. Of course its going to feel low powered, think of the scientific mechanics of that particular setup for a moment.

So, what current string do they compare to?

I think people are jumping on the PHT train because its similar physically, but not play-wise or compositionally.

I've tried many 17g polys at 60 in the 88 the past 2 years. This string sort of stands on its own for me. I'm glad I was able to get another set. You know who you are.

I'm the first to tell someone their product sucks and to go away.

This stuff for me, simply works. And the green color is a love hate thing for me. I don't care if my string is bright girly man pink with a My Little Pony stencil, I will play it if it helps me and my *****ously hideous 3.0 manginally incoherent game.

themitchmann
11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
^^^ I didn't know people were comparing it to PHT besides me. I simply think it feels similar in terms of stiffness. 361 held tension WAY better than PHT.

JoelDali
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I do agree its very similar (edit: similar in physical ways).

I've never strung PHT in my 88.

I tried it in a K90 @ 61 and it was terrible.

mtommer
11-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Its quite amusing that the term "power, or lack thereof" has taken flight in the other thread. One person states this and 20 others hop on that bandwagon.

Maybe but I never read others people's reviews or comments prior to just posting my own and I note the comparisons to Cyberflash (as it's my main setup), a low powered string in it's own right. Maybe 22 people simply agree. *shrug*

JoelDali
11-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Maybe but I never read others people's reviews or comments prior to just posting my own and I note the comparisons to Cyberflash (as it's my main setup), a low powered string in it's own right. Maybe 22 people simply agree. *shrug*

Its alright little buddy.

Its a low powered string for every player and every frame as evidenced by the copy/paste comments.

But for me personally, power is fine. I've blasted many powerful shots with these strings in the 1st hour on to the 12th hour.

I can say the same about 20 other strings whereas Luxilon Adrenaline 16 is garbage out of the gate.

We can all agree that we have many different favorite strings and 361 Nation isn't some miracle from Alien Reptile gods. But its a damn good string for me thats for sure.

themitchmann
11-17-2010, 07:11 AM
^^^ I agree. It's not amazing, but I think it could definitely find a place on a most popular list if the price point is right. The simple fact that this string holds tension so well will be very appealing to many players, I'm sure.

JoelDali
11-17-2010, 07:25 AM
I've played 12 hours and its not dead at all yet.

I'm tempted to cut it out but its still going strong.

Jim A
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Joel, how long did it take to settle as you note above?
I noticed a pretty big drop between the 1st/2nd time out in tension and was hoping that would be it.

pheonix6579
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I've played 12 hours and its not dead at all yet.

I'm tempted to cut it out but its still going strong.

That was one of my favorite things about the string...it kept going...and going...and going

JoelDali
11-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Joel, how long did it take to settle as you note above?
I noticed a pretty big drop between the 1st/2nd time out in tension and was hoping that would be it.

To be honest, its gotten somewhat colder out here so I think that dynamic plays a part.

I just never really noticed any drop offs or deadening of the string.

I played 2 hours of doubles Saturday with it at the 10 hour mark and it played great. I'm going to play once more with it then kiss it goodbye.

I'm also looking forward to the Wilson Red Alert, which I loved as well in the Red17 playtest.

DavidNERODease
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
There are some really cool slow motion You Tube videos of the string in action on the 361Nation website.

Jim A
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Joel, I may have promised to look once before, however I may have a set of Red17 kicking around. If so I'll let you know if you want it.

Jeewalk
11-19-2010, 10:00 PM
so basically you guys are telling me you cant compare this string to anything else???????? because you guys have been dodging my question for the longest time.... i just wanna know what string i can substitute the 361nation string until it actually comes out

mtommer
11-19-2010, 10:42 PM
so basically you guys are telling me you cant compare this string to anything else???????? because you guys have been dodging my question for the longest time.... i just wanna know what string i can substitute the 361nation string until it actually comes out

String some CyberFlash, hit with it for a week....close enough.

themitchmann
11-20-2010, 05:24 AM

Um. A couple of us did...

JoelDali
11-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Nothing really compares in my opinion.

I wouldn't stress so hard dude.

Hopefully it will be released.

Jeewalk
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Um. A couple of us did...

i got 2 string suggestion out of 23 posts pht and cyberflash

themitchmann
11-20-2010, 03:22 PM
^^^I gave you my recommendation. You've got a place to start. Hopefully you'll get some more replies by the time you've tried PHT and Cyberflash.

Lakers4Life
11-29-2010, 04:05 AM
It plays more like Topspin Cyber Blue. As for Wilson RED17, I was told by Ryan it was Stamina, bot had the same texture.

JoelDali
11-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Tried Tour Bite 17 yesterday at 60...not bad, not great...need more 361.

Argh.

TennisAddict121
11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Tried Tour Bite 17 yesterday at 60...not bad, not great...need more 361.

Argh.

Try Gosen Polyon. To me 361 felt like polyon just with better tension maintenance...it was a really bad string, I still have 2 packs left and nobody wants them