PDA

View Full Version : Wow..Great Combo for Me...

user92626
11-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I had always been playing with Kevlar and praised its durability and non string movement and control. But it was too much for my arm after 12 weeks!!! Part of that was that the Kevlar was strung at 55#.

Anyway, yesterday I cut my loss and strung up ALU Power Fluoro 17 main and Polylon 17 cross, 50#/50#. Wow, after 3 hours of baseline bashing I didn't feel any mild arm irritation that I felt with Kevlar lately. It felt soft and nice and no string movement, and the stringbed of gray silver and clear looks very sleek!!! This combo is relatively cheap. The last test now is how long this nice effect will last for me. I'm looking for 6-8 weeks.

Try this combo, folks.

Jakedasnake
11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
That sounds like an interesting setup. I like to use nicer, more expensive poly mains and a cheap cross. It seems like the mains have a lot more effect than the crosses in terms of playability. I usually use gosen OGSM in the cross though. Since polylon is a first gen poly, let us know about tension maintenance! thanks

user92626
11-14-2010, 03:20 PM
That sounds like an interesting setup. I like to use nicer, more expensive poly mains and a cheap cross. It seems like the mains have a lot more effect than the crosses in terms of playability. I usually use gosen OGSM in the cross though. Since polylon is a first gen poly, let us know about tension maintenance! thanks

Well, Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Fluoro 17 is pretty up there in price. The polylon is quite cheap. Altogether is about $10, but it's gonna be more durable than synth gut.

I definitely think the main has a much bigger role considering that it's longer and how much it usually moves and stretch. So, do invest a bit in the main.

fuzz nation
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Might be interesting to keep track of how that setup performs as it ages. You might want to keep some notes that track the hours of usage with that layout and see how things progress.

Supposedly all the resilience in any poly/co-poly gets used up after several hours of use. As far as I know, it's 12-15 hours on the outside depending on the hitter. No surprise that it feels good for you fresh off the stringing machine coming from a kevlar hybrid, but it would certainly be cool to see how it holds up in terms of feel and performance after maybe two or three weeks.

I don't use poly myself, but I string for a couple of young sluggers who enjoy using a hybrid, so I like to try and keep tabs on "success stories" like yours. Good luck with it - keep us posted.

user92626
11-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Fuzz,

I'm definitely paying attention to my strings because I'm very conscious of my playing and cost :) I string at shops and they charge so much!

Weeks ago, I brushed off comments about kevlar being arm-unfriendly because I actually felt fine with it, I was counting on my techniques, but on week 13th after 3 long sessions I started to feel a mild ache-like in the shoulder. Could you believe that I played on thursday night, ached thru Friday but less, and on Saturday I restrung and played that same evening, 4hrs, but continued to feel better and now my arm/shoulder completely normal?

So, I think whatever was aggrevating the should pain completely ceased to exist with the new string. :)

In term of performance, I'm thinking if I could play with minimal elastic kevlar, how worse could it get with "dead" poly at low tension? I still have another set of this hybrid to try at next round.

What's difference between, say, 45# dead poly and 50# fresh one?