PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Typhoon/Babolat VS Natural Gut Hybrid

mel
11-14-2010, 12:16 PM
My preferred setup are thin gauge poly mains, Tour Bite or Typhoon, and Gosen Micro Sheep 16 crosses in a YT Prestige Mid at 52/54lbs. I like interchanging both these polys, but have been favoring Genesis Typhoon 16L lately because of the slight power advantage over T-bite and a tad softer feel in comparison. I find spin, control, and tension maintenance to be relatively similar.

I recently picked up a pack of Babolat VS Team Gut and was wondering about anyone's experiences/thoughts/recommendations about crossing natty gut with Typhoon, or vice versa, before trying both setups myself.

Thanks!

Don't Let It Bounce
11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
There have been several really good articles this year in the TW University section concerning string material, friction, and spin. I haven't seen specific tests on Typhoon and VS Team, but as a general rule it seems clear that using the gut for the mains and the poly for the crosses is the way to maximize spin; there is much more friction between mains and crosses if you go vice-versa. You might consider checking out those articles and including that info in your decision.

thebuffman
11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
^^^^^^^^excellent advice.

a graph to corroborate:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nhNHgisvegk/TOCRdEIGNSI/AAAAAAAAAQU/1Pk-28KAT0s/s640/cof%20of%20fric.jpg

mel
11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
^^^^ Can someone interpret this for me? I'm charts and graphs illiterate.

downs_chris
11-16-2010, 10:20 AM
^^^^ Can someone interpret this for me? I'm charts and graphs illiterate.

i thought you were some sort of math major?

mel
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
i thought you were some sort of math major?

yeah, i majorly suck at math.

Don't Let It Bounce
11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
^^^^ Can someone interpret this for me? I'm charts and graphs illiterate.Each colored line represents a combination of mains & crosses. The closer to the bottom of the graph, the lower the friction between mains & crosses and therefore the better the spin. The right side of the graph is higher tensions, the left side lower tensions.

The gray line (poly crosses and gut mains) is the lowest no matter what tension you string at, so the graph is suggesting the same thing as post #2. The orange line (higher than the gray one) suggests that if you use Typhoon mains and gut crosses, the spin will likely be noticeably less.

Mig1NC
11-17-2010, 02:38 AM
The gray line (poly crosses and gut mains) is the lowest no matter what tension you string at.

Not true according to the graph. If you look at the line that is a full bed of poly (red) you will see that it has lower friction at 38 pounds or less than gut/poly hybrid at around 54 pounds and higher.

Don't Let It Bounce
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Not true according to the graph. If you look at the line that is a full bed of poly (red) you will see that it has lower friction at 38 pounds or less than gut/poly hybrid at around 54 pounds and higher.Sorry, my wording was unclear. What I meant was that at any given tension, the gut-M/poly-X combo had the lowest friction. As you say, if you string all-poly at a low enough tension, you can get lower friction than a hybrid at a higher tension.