PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi for Spin?

Blee1613
11-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Title says all.

jim e
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Title says all.

Multi is a string for feel, and comfort.If you are looking for spin,and want a multi string,you may then wish to hybrid a multi with a poly,to give you a little of both string qualities.

tlm
11-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Multi is a string for feel, and comfort.If you are looking for spin,and want a multi string,you may then wish to hybrid a multi with a poly,to give you a little of both string qualities.

I keep hearing that how poly is the spin master+multis
are for comfort. I have not found poly to be that much
better for spin than multi.

I have experimented with
many strings over the last 5 years, have spent a lot
of money+time. But i really dont think that poly is
that much better for spin.I play with a lot of spin+
have found some multis+nat. gut to give me just
as much spin as polys.

I am currently using wilson kgut 17 gauge+it has
excellent spin.When i could find it i used laserfibre
snps multi which also gave tremendous spin.I have used
many of the polys + they give pretty good spin but to
me they only play good for 3-4 hours. Then they feel + play
like crap.

GameSetMatch
11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/COFreporter.php

GameSetMatch
11-14-2010, 03:25 PM
i really dont think that poly is
that much better for spin.

Then you're missing something because the difference is like night and day! And even more pronounced when you choose a thin gauge poly and play 16x19.

Blee1613
11-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I am using a multi for a hybrid. I find if I use full multi then I start launching balls to the back fence.

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
so what gut/multi hybrid do you use for optimum spin?

Blee1613
11-14-2010, 03:33 PM
so what gut/multi hybrid do you use for optimum spin?

There's one on the Tw proffessor's website but I dont want to do that because it would get very costly.

tlm
11-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Then you're missing something because the difference is like night and day! And even more pronounced when you choose a thin gauge poly and play 16x19.

The difference is nowhere near night+day. You can
use any thinner string in a open pattern racket+get
more spin. I would bet that you have not experimented
with near the amount of strings i have in recent years.

I will agree that some multis do not produce as much
spin, but not all of them.As far as lab tests+rackets
clamped in machines go they are never the same as
real play tests.

The main part of my game is about hitting heavy topspin.
But i have not found the poly string to be much better than
some multis.I have taken different rackets out with poly+
multi to experiment.I will ask my partner if he notices a
difference in how much jump i am getting+usually there is
not much difference.

The other myth about poly is how great it is on control.It
does not always have that great of control, one of my
partners had rpm blast in his racket for me to try.While
i did get good spin the string in his set up was way to
powerful.

So was the spin really from the poly, or was it because
it was so powerful.Any string i use will produce big spin
if it is a power set up, but it does not matter because it
is to powerful to play with.Spin is from technique not string.

Fedace
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Gamma Rough.

Valjean
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Volkl's Gripper, right now...

user92626
11-14-2010, 04:28 PM
This might be off topic, but to me kevlar is best for spin. It's hard and textural to bite the ball better. Poly is probably least for spin because it's so smooth. Just my 2 cents.

tlm
11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Volkl's Gripper, right now...

How good does this string play?

Valjean
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM
I found it offered a combination of low power and high spin potential, using my customary stroke off both wings. For this combo I found I had to change my stroke to get the same shot depth. Comfort was okay too. Do a board search for what others say.

SteveI
11-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Head Rip Control 17... Now if I can get to last more than 5-6 hours.. it would be perfect

mikeler
11-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Head RIP Control 16 had the most spin of any multi I've tried. You can read about a few others I've hit with recently here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

lstewart
11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
I think the issue seems to be that Tim hits a heavy topspin ball naturally, so he gets alot of spin with most strings, and poly might not feel that different for him. I hit a pretty flat hard ball, and poly makes a huge difference. I might hit a hard forehand with a multi that is 2 feet out, while that same shot with poly will drop in. I don't generate alot of topspin with my swing, so poly makes a big difference in how the ball reacts. I think it just depends upon your game.

tlm
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I think the issue seems to be that Tim hits a heavy topspin ball naturally, so he gets alot of spin with most strings, and poly might not feel that different for him. I hit a pretty flat hard ball, and poly makes a huge difference. I might hit a hard forehand with a multi that is 2 feet out, while that same shot with poly will drop in. I don't generate alot of topspin with my swing, so poly makes a big difference in how the ball reacts. I think it just depends upon your game.

This is true i get a lot of spin with any string, but
there is a difference in what string i use.Some
multi strings do not give very good spin.I have
also used some polys that were not as good as others.

A lot of the poly strings i have used did not play
that great as far as control goes, unless i raised
the tension.So when you use poly at high tension
it is harder on the arm.

My friend uses bb ace at 70lbs. on his blx 90.He
says he needs it that high to keep the control
were he likes it.I tried his racket+it did not feel
that harsh as many would think.But i play 6 days
a week+i do not want poly to give me arm problems.

Because when i used poly i had to crank the tension
up also+it is just to hard on the arm.So i have been
experimenting with multis for the last year or so+
i dont really notice a loss in spin.

big bang
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I grew up on red clay and developed a true claycourt game hitting monster spin of both wings. For many many years I refused to use anything but multi and syn-gut. Last year I began experimenting with polys and now I use very thin textured polys like MSV focus hex and volkl cyclone, even if I didnt think it was possible I get even more spin on my groundies now. The reason for this is: it grabs the ball better, I can string lower and get more dwell time, the string gives me less power. Because of this I can swing even harder and take bigger cuts at the ball. I have naturally a very fast swing, but no doubt that the very thin (1.10-1.20 mm) textured polys has made it possible to produce more spin than multi/syn-gut did. You have to ajust your strokes to poly to get more spin out of them. It just dont add more spin but it gives you the opportunity to do it!.
Hybrid could be worth a try for you.

parasailing
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
How good does this string play?

tlm - I have hitted with the Volkl Gripper and it is a textured multi and it does give a bit more string for a multi but durability is not that good for the string. I am a flat hitter so for you, it might not make much difference since you can put so much topsin on the ball.

I am interested in your insight as to whether Laserfibre SNPS is better than Biphase X1 or Kgut in the area of spin and comfort.

nvottennis
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
There's one on the Tw proffessor's website but I dont want to do that because it would get very costly.

and what exactly is that set up?

tlm
11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
tlm - I have hitted with the Volkl Gripper and it is a textured multi and it does give a bit more string for a multi but durability is not that good for the string. I am a flat hitter so for you, it might not make much difference since you can put so much topsin on the ball.

I am interested in your insight as to whether Laserfibre SNPS is better than Biphase X1 or Kgut in the area of spin and comfort.

Laserfibre snps is the best string fo everything as
far as i am concerned.Biphase is not even in the same
league as laserfibre for spin.The 17 gauge
kgut is pretty close for spin but not even close for
comfort.