PDA

View Full Version : Klip Legend Uncoated Natural Gut vs Coated

Blee1613
11-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Which version do you think is better? I'm considering getting these because they are cheap compared to other gut strings.

Kevo
11-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I haven't played with the uncoated version since I was worried about longevity with the heat and humidity we have here, but I played the regular version back to back against 3 other guts, and I liked the KLIP the best. It seemed to have better control over time than the others.

Blee1613
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
So the coated has more durability? And so the uncoacted might have better playability?

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I haven't played with the uncoated version since I was worried about longevity with the heat and humidity we have here, but I played the regular version back to back against 3 other guts, and I liked the KLIP the best. It seemed to have better control over time than the others.

what were the other types you used?

Kevo
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I think they were Babolat Tonic +, BDE, and Bow Brand. I basically bought what I could find that was less than $30 at the time. I don't know if you can get BDE and Bow easily any more.

The Babolat was insanely powerful from what I recall. It also felt stiffer from what I remember. It may have been because it held tension better. Not sure. I cut that one out quickly since I really did not like it at all. The other 3 were good, but Kilp was the best of them.

I'm tend to like low powered setups though, so YMMV.

mctennis
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I like the feel and playability of the uncoated better. It seems to bite the ball better IMHO. I also really liked Bow brand gut. I wish I could find it. I thought they stopped making tennis strings and kept making instrument strings. Then I heard they were going to be making tennis strings again. I hope they do. I liked Bow best of all next to Pacific Tough Gut.

Racer41c
12-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Which version do you think is better? I'm considering getting these because they are cheap compared to other gut strings.

I think both are good strings. I just got done doing a long test (4 setups, about 15 hours per setup) of uncoated 17g. In the end I would say I had it dialed in pretty good. I have since started a test of Pacific Classic 16g and prefer it over the 17g uncoated. The primary reason is I can string the Classic 2 lbs lower for the same power and in the end it means that it pockets a bit better. I also think the bite is better with the Classic.

Next Stop will be either Pacific Prime, Tonic + or Performaxxx.

Netspirit
12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
^ Try Pacific Prime first, you will not be disappointed.

Performax was meh. Not a bad string, but it did not feel an entire league above multifilaments.