PDA

View Full Version : Best Gut for Spin?

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Title says it all. Also, is there a specific gut/poly or multi hybrid that would produce more spin than an all gut set up alone?

tlm
11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
To me any nat. gut gives excellent spin.

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I forgot to mention, but tw says that tonic+/hepta twist would produce the most spin. However, I'm afraid that the hepta twist would probably die quickly-> cut the strings out.

Mighty Matteo
11-14-2010, 04:01 PM
vs gut 17 and rpm blast 17 gauge would produce crazy spin provide rpm was in the mains.

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
sadly i heard rpm dies quickly..

thebuffman
11-14-2010, 05:48 PM
i would definitely check with kiteboard as his string configuration is natty gut (m) with technifibre black code (c)

and like others have said, gut mains w/ poly crosses is the best spin combo on the planet. what the chart below shows is that poly crosses w/ gut mains holds the lowest coefficient of friction (the most critical attribute to spin) as more and more pressure is added to the string bed. in short, with this setup, the strings continue easily sliding against one another no matter the amount of pressure added to them; unlike other combinations.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nhNHgisvegk/TOCRdEIGNSI/AAAAAAAAAQU/1Pk-28KAT0s/s400/cof%20of%20fric.jpg

nvottennis
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
so by theory, a low tension strung setup will produce the most spin compared to a high one?

thebuffman
11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
so by theory, a low tension strung setup will produce the most spin compared to a high one?
it seems that way from some of the latest research done. check out this (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=319527) thread where the tw professor lead an experiment with poly strings at very low tensions. i experimented with it and must say that poly strings at a tension of 30# gave me spin like i have never experienced in my life. my ball would literally dive out of the sky just before the baseline. my opponents at times would chase my ball and then hold up their finger signaling "long" and then go "oh wait it fell it". this happened a lot. other strings though are simply too elastic at these low tensions ESPECIALLY GUT and will hit the back fence way before the magnus forces can drive the ball down into the court shy of the baseline. this low tension setup also is an added help to the low friction coefficient inherent to poly strings so you pretty much have super low friction from loose strings PLUS a low friction coefficient inherent in the chemical attribute of the poly which equates maximum spin.

however this type of setup just didn't work for me. the strings are very very very muted. like you hardly even hear the ball hit the strings. the feel is entirely different than 50+ lb tension setups. volleying is difficult to get use to because there is not tight stringed pop. if you are a baseliner who enjoy crazy spin and action on the ball, this might be just what the doctor ordered especially with a polarized racquet.