PDA

View Full Version : High bh volley vs fast balls

kickingbird
06-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Here's one shot I've been trying to work on, but I make the same mistake each time. Racquet face is too open and the ball sails long. I use a continental grip and it's just so hard to 'come down' on the ball on the backhand side, because the position of the wrist is not very stable. The racquet face naturally opens up if I 'lay' my wrist back (pretend you're doing a thumbs up motion, and keep going until the wrist locks) into its powerful position. This is okay vs slow incoming balls because I can cut down on it to compensate for the open face. But vs fast balls, it just floats. Can anyone provide me with some imagery of what I should be doing with my racquet and wrist? Thanks...

alan-n
06-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you aren't keeping your wrist and arm firm, use your body weight and step into / lean into to take the racket face THROUGH the ball. When you are facing fast / heavy shots.... not stepping into / leaning into the stoke leading with your shoulders with firm arm / wrist = shanks.

kickingbird
06-07-2005, 12:06 AM
OK, so am I meant to hit through the ball instead of hitting it down?

In order to hit the ball square, I have a feeling it's something to do with the supinating/pronating of the wrist to get the correct racquet angle... Any thoughts?

paulfreda
06-07-2005, 03:29 AM
I like to think on both sides fh/bh to keep the face beveled open for any ball I see chest high or lower and make the face closed for any ball I see upper chest or higher.
It is the 2nd decison I make after determining which side the ball is coming to.
No swing is needed as the face is correct right from the start.

Grimjack
06-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Here's one shot I've been trying to work on, but I make the same mistake each time. Racquet face is too open and the ball sails long. I use a continental grip and it's just so hard to 'come down' on the ball on the backhand side, because the position of the wrist is not very stable.

Lots of good advice already.

Another possible factor: high BH volleys vs fast shots are VERY unkind to those without strong forearm and shoulder muscles. Volleying in that position puts you in an anatomically vulnerable position, allowing the ball to push against your arm like it would against a lever. If you're not strong enough to counter this action without thinking, your racquet will open more than you want it to, and you will tend to float or sail balls longer than you desire.

Not saying you're weak or anything, but that is one reason why even people who understand the form on certain shots can have trouble executing. If you get your form perfect and still have trouble, this might be something worth looking into.

Rickson
06-07-2005, 06:59 AM
My second favorite volley is the high backhand volley after the overhead. Try stepping into the shot more with the right foot in front, don't be in an open stance. Punch down on the ball and don't even think about slicing it. If your face is open, you're not turning your wrist enough so turn until you can see a portion of your palm side.

Marius_Hancu
06-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Check the racket face control by Sampras

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/Q.Luo/tennis/sampras06.swf
(URL courtesy of Exile)
he's doing it here in the style of Rosewall (come forward with the edge of the racket, straigthen it up right before contact)