PDA

View Full Version : Substituting Natural Gut for a Multi

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 01:47 AM
I am looking for a substitute for natural gut, any input would be great, at the moment im thinking of these strings:

Tecnifibre X-One Biphase
Tecnifibre NRG2
Babolat XCel Premium
Babolat XCel Power
Wilson NXT Tour
Wilson NXT

If anyone can tell me which of the following looks most like gut also that would be great.

Cheers

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 03:05 AM
http://www.**********.com/images/product/main/LSTRING-WRZ997700.jpg

Is what Gut looks like, i would say NXT or X1BF

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Damn it replace the ********** with **********

freshtennis
Damn it replace the ********** with **********

GJ

10 char.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
DAMN IT! replace it with **********

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 03:07 AM
DAMN IT! replace it with **********

your ruining my thread !

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 03:07 AM
OMG replace it with tennis(NUTS)

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 03:10 AM
OMG replace it with tennis(NUTS)

i dont think so, the price is so cheap, dont expect it be 'like' gut

ClubHoUno
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Try:

Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock
Tecnifibre X-One
Tecnifibre NRG2
Babolat Xcel Power

Nothing Can replace natty gut though, bear that in mind :)

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Try:

Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock
Tecnifibre X-One
Tecnifibre NRG2
Babolat Xcel Power

Nothing Can replace natty gut though, bear that in mind :)

xcel power or xcel premium? which feels more like gut?

the problem is im hoping to cross it with alu power rough and i heard it 'eats' through the gut and seeing as i dont make that much money, i need it to last or at least get a cheaper alternative.

what about the wilson nxt strings?
which one looks the most like natural gut?

cheers for the help club!

ClubHoUno
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
xcel power or xcel premium? which feels more like gut?

the problem is im hoping to cross it with alu power rough and i heard it 'eats' through the gut and seeing as i dont make that much money, i need it to last or at least get a cheaper alternative.

what about the wilson nxt strings?
which one looks the most like natural gut?

cheers for the help club!

Only One String is called Xcel power :)

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Only One String is called Xcel power :)

mind rephrasing that? sorry :)

mctennis
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
How about trying string savers with your gut strings. I've tried the other strings here and wasn't impressed. Nothing plays like gut except gut, period, end of story. Don't waste your money playing around with these other strings expecting a gut feel and playability. It's a trade off. It just is how much of a trade off are you willing to accept?

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
How about trying string savers with your gut strings. I've tried the other strings here and wasn't impressed. Nothing plays like gut except gut, period, end of story. Don't waste your money playing around with these other strings expecting a gut feel and playability. It's a trade off. It just is how much of a trade off are you willing to accept?

yeah i use string savers on my luxilon jobs because luxilon is expensive to me :D
and i would like it to last as long as possible, i have no problem playing with dead strings, in fact, i think i enjoy playing with dead strings. i used to play with a one year old phb and pht string job and it had not broken.

wont be disappointed if i dont get the gut feel. probably care which one looks more like natural gut :D

mctennis
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Then I'd try the Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock. I tried that a while back and it frayed like gut does. You'll fool them all.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Then I'd try the Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock. I tried that a while back and it frayed like gut does. You'll fool them all.

haha exactly what im looking to do, fool people into thinking it is natural gut!
where can i get this?

mctennis
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure at one time TW use to carry it. I don't use that string so I can't help you out. Sorry.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure at one time TW use to carry it. I don't use that string so I can't help you out. Sorry.

does babolat xcel or xcel power look like natural gut?

mctennis
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Not to me it doesn't.

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Right now I have my BLX90 strung with main: Alu Power 16L; cross: Wilson K gut 16. I've used it probably around 15-20 times and I can see where Luxilon is cutting into gut strings but didn't break yet maybe because I don't hit very hard or with a lot of spin. The feel and control are amazing, not sure because of the strings or the racquet ( I did use full bed of nat. gut on my older NCode 95 and it wasn't the same ).
I did try Gamma string savers but they would pop out and then very hard to move strings back, so I removed them. Do you know if this is normal or maybe I didn't install them correctly?

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Right now I have my BLX90 strung with main: Alu Power 16L; cross: Wilson K gut 16. I've used it probably around 15-20 times and I can see where Luxilon is cutting into gut strings but didn't break yet maybe because I don't hit very hard or with a lot of spin. The feel and control are amazing, not sure because of the strings or the racquet ( I did use full bed of nat. gut on my older NCode 95 and it wasn't the same ).
I did try Gamma string savers but they would pop out and then very hard to move strings back, so I removed them. Do you know if this is normal or maybe I didn't install them correctly?

i use the federer string saver setup because i hit a little higher up than the sweetspot for the extra spin.

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
i use the federer string saver setup because i hit a little higher up than the sweetspot for the extra spin.
Do you think any string savers are good? The ones I had (Gamma) looked like cheap plastic. I have no clue what is Federer string saver setup. Do they pop out?

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Do you think any string savers are good? The ones I had (Gamma) looked like cheap plastic. I have no clue what is Federer string saver setup. Do they pop out?

i used the babolat ones and they have not broken or fallen out yet. i recommend. for some reason, my k6.1 has barely any vibration (no exaggeration intended). i really like the minimal vibration, i dont use any vibration stopper on it. feels really nice.

this is federer string saver setup. no they dont pop out

http://www9.picfront.org/picture/MuUKZWmpS/img/PICT2751-edited.jpg

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks - that's a great photo of Roger, I do wish however he'd get a nicer watch, like Nadal :)
So he only uses total of 10 saver pieces, 5 on 4th string from top, and 5 on 6th? I had no clue so I used 3-4 pieces on every main string - and they were flying off one after another.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks - that's a great photo of Roger, I do wish however he'd get a nicer watch, like Nadal :)
So he only uses total of 10 saver pieces, 5 on 4th string from top, and 5 on 6th? I had no clue so I used 3-4 pieces on every main string - and they were flying off one after another.

well rolex watches is for the classy. so thats why federer wears it.
nadal wears a lightweight fashion watch for sports (tennis).

yeah 10 and what you said i think.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
does babolat xcel or xcel power look like natural gut?

Nup, they don't look like them

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Nup, they don't look like them

what about nrg2 or x1bp? or maybe wilson nxt?

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 10:39 PM

Oh yeh he does play tennis aye....:-|

'sarcasm'

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
what about nrg2 or x1bp? or maybe wilson nxt?

Probably NXT.

Bro let's just get a all Rough set-up, He uses Gut because he can afford it LOL

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh yeh he does play tennis aye....:-|

'sarcasm'

federers watch isnt for tennis though, its a casual one, nadals is made specifically for sports and tennis is the main focus.

p.s: should convince james to join tt :D

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Probably NXT.

nah i dont like full bed of rough, hybrid-ing mine with a multi, i think you should too! get either nrg2, x1bp, xcel, xcel power or nxt. man i wish i could get 5 of them so i could have each one :D

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 10:50 PM
nah i dont like full bed of rough, hybrid-ing mine with a multi, i think you should too! get either nrg2, x1bp, xcel, xcel power or nxt. man i wish i could get 5 of them so i could have each one :D

ha 5 Blx's for 5 different string jobs!

Ok ok i'm getting Tecnifibre X1BF with Luxilon rough in mains. Anyone one here had experience with that on a BLX 90 here? Me and freshtennis need some feedback.

(ha james would get eaten alive on these forums)

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Ok ok i'm getting Tecnifibre X1BF with Luxilon rough in mains. Anyone one here had experience with that on a BLX 90 here? Me and freshtennis need some feedback.

i wouldnt mind having 6? :D
1 with natural gut than :P

we'll decide on x1bp and nrg2, lets just wait a bit before we make final conclusions.

rough on the mains? D:

haha yeah he would definitely get 'eaten'

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Rolex watches are way overpriced and mass produced - not a great quality either, it's just a name.
Nadal's watch cost over $500K - it is a very light watch but I don't think it's for sport. He got it for free and thats why he plays with it.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Rolex watches are way overpriced and mass produced - not a great quality either, it's just a name.
Nadal's watch cost over $500K - it is a very light watch but I don't think it's for sport. He got it for free and thats why he plays with it.

yeah rolex is for the classy, and nadals is for the sporty?
it is designed specifically for sport im pretty sure. doesnt he get paid to wear it?

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Probably NXT.

I would say NXT 16 looks lighter than (K) Gut - color while in package at least. When you install (K) Gut it looks lighter, especially in places where it is bent.
Just get some NXT and spray-paint them.:twisted:

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
yeah rolex is for the classy, and nadals is for the sporty?
it is designed specifically for sport im pretty sure. doesnt he get paid to wear it?
I'm not sure if they pay him to wear it - all they wrote was he got it for free just to wear it. I can look it up.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:20 PM

Five Hundread Thousand Dollars....how sure are you of this?

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 11:21 PM

yep

10 char.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:27 PM
yep

10 char.

Half a million for a watch. And i thought Rolex was bad!

What brand is Nads?

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Nadal's watch - Richard Mille RM027 - $525,000 Weight = 20 grams, including strap.

http://www.luxist.com/2010/04/10/richard-mille-rm027-rafael-nadal-watch-is-ultra-light-weight/

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 11:30 PM

What brand is Nads?

richard mille

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:33 PM

What brand is Nads?
If you ask any watch collector, they will tell you Rolex is crap. You can get a much better watch for what Rolex cost - IWC, Zenith, Ulysse Nardin, etc... Even Omega or Breitling are better quality I think.
Rolex is a name and is good to show off. But I'm sure they pay Roger good money to wear it, so he doesn't care.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 11:36 PM
If you ask any watch collector, they will tell you Rolex is crap. You can get a much better watch for what Rolex cost - IWC, Zenith, Ulysse Nardin, etc... Even Omega or Breitling are better quality I think.
Rolex is a name and is good to show off. But I'm sure they pay Roger good money to wear it, so he doesn't care.

i think its personal preference.

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
This Richard Mille RM27 model has a Tourbillon - it's a very complicated mechanism. It's pretty much another watch movement inside the movement - was designed many years ago to offset the inacuracy of old pocket watches. The cheapest Tourbillon watch I think costs around $70k, and get this - Rolex does not make a Tourbillon watch.

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
i think its personal preference.

Everything is, depends what you want. If you want a jewelry piece like a bracelet - you get a Rolex so everybody knows it's expensive. But if you want quality - you have many options. You see so many people wearing a Rolex.
This RM27 - only 50 of these were made. Of course it's not affordable for most people but it's nice to look at it.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Nadal's watch - Richard Mille RM027 - $525,000 Weight = 20 grams, including strap.

http://www.luxist.com/2010/04/10/richard-mille-rm027-rafael-nadal-watch-is-ultra-light-weight/

Makes you want to spew, doesn't it?

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Everything is, depends what you want. If you want a jewelry piece like a bracelet - you get a Rolex so everybody knows it's expensive. But if you want quality - you have many options. You see so many people wearing a Rolex.
This RM27 - only 50 of these were made. Of course it's not affordable for most people but it's nice to look at it.

yeah much like tennis,

wilson is probably at number 1 but yet is is poor quality
tecnifibre is down there yet it is high quality.

i want a plastic replica version of it :D

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:51 PM

You are right, because has anybody stoped and thought 'hang on, this Djokovic Sergio Tachhini polo for 129.95$ was probably made for a fraction of that cost LOL"
But we buy it anyway to be seen with the brand.
Although i wouldn't touch that Djokovic Dragon Line ehhh!

Roger No.1
11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Makes you want to spew, doesn't it?

Are you talking about the price or weird design?
I'm pretty sure Nadal wouldn't have paid that much for a watch, but if it's free - why not.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Are you talking about the price or weird design?
I'm pretty sure Nadal wouldn't have paid that much for a watch, but if it's free - why not.

The price.
If you got money to spend...then go for it...i guess :confused:

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Hey Roger1
How many BLX 90s you got? any for sAle?

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-15-2010, 11:56 PM
yeah much like tennis,

wilson is probably at number 1 but yet is is poor quality
tecnifibre is down there yet it is high quality.

i want a plastic replica version of it :D

Yeh Tecnifibre deserves a much bigger rep!

Oh and i hate to say it but....Yonez is probably best value for money, QC standards of couse. Not image LOL.

Plastic replica of what?

Roger No.1
11-16-2010, 12:05 AM
The price.
If you got money to spend...then go for it...i guess :confused:
You need billions to realistically afford one like this, besides there are nicer looking timepieces for less than $100K:)

Roger No.1
11-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey Roger1
How many BLX 90s you got? any for sAle?
I have 1 right now, and just ordered another one to use with different tension/string job. It's probably too much racquet for me but it feels great - I could not hit the ball the same with any other frames I tried. I demoed PB-10 Mid and Youtek Prestige Pro and didn't like them as much, maybe because of cheap demo strings. Are there any frames (besides PS-88) that play similar to BLX/K 90 ?

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:15 AM
I have 1 right now, and just ordered another one to use with different tension/string job. It's probably too much racquet for me but it feels great - I could not hit the ball the same with any other frames I tried. I demoed PB-10 Mid and Youtek Prestige Pro and didn't like them as much, maybe because of cheap demo strings. Are there any frames (besides PS-88) that play similar to BLX/K 90 ?

probably not. maybe dunlop 100 lines?

Roger No.1
11-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Federer's annual earnings - 36 M ; Sharapova - 22.5 M ; Nadal - 20 M.
Sharapova is making more than Nadal and she is hardly playing :)

ClubHoUno
11-16-2010, 12:20 AM
haha exactly what im looking to do, fool people into thinking it is natural gut!
where can i get this?

1. Why do want people to think you are using natty gut :confused:

2. Xcel Power is the only string with that name. I prefer it over regular Xcel

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:22 AM
1. Why do want people to think you are using natty gut :confused:

2. Xcel Power is the only string with that name. I prefer it over regular Xcel

its more like i want champions choice for the low income earner? :L

can you explain why you prefer it over xcel premium? does it feel like gut in anyway?

have you tried nrg2 and x1bp?

ClubHoUno
11-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Who is James and why would he get eaten alive in here

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeh Tecnifibre deserves a much bigger rep!

Oh and i hate to say it but....Yonez is probably best value for money, QC standards of couse. Not image LOL.

Plastic replica of what?

haha yeah i guess so,

nadals watch !

ClubHoUno
11-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I would say NXT 16 looks lighter than (K) Gut - color while in package at least. When you install (K) Gut it looks lighter, especially in places where it is bent.
Just get some NXT and spray-paint them.:twisted:

Look newb, why you talk about [K] Gut, when the issue here is natty gut is beyond me :confused:

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Federer's annual earnings - 36 M ; Sharapova - 22.5 M ; Nadal - 20 M.
Sharapova is making more than Nadal and she is hardly playing :)

rofl haha, maybe because she is sponsored by more companies than nadal?
not 100% sure. or maybe because she is the #1 ambassador for nike womens tennis?

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:33 AM

haha a friend of ours who is better than us but his tennis knowledge isnt as good as cooper and i's :D

cooper, elaborate.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Will do B2
Because he is not on the technical side of tennis, you know racquets strings grips etc.

We are the people that could point out what racquet and string someone is using from a mile away lol, And i'm proud of it:twisted:

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Will do B2
Because he is not on the technical side of tennis, you know racquets strings grips etc.

We are the people that could point out what racquet and string someone is using from a mile away lol, And i'm proud of it:twisted:

my turn,

james can beat us 90% of the time, well at least me. he is good. but he is really poor on the theory side of tennis.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-16-2010, 12:41 AM
my turn,

james can beat us 90% of the time, well at least me. he is good. but he is really poor on the theory side of tennis.

Agreed' but trust me i seriously think i can take James now. I Know you will tell him that LOL but it's the truth LOL

ClubHoUno
11-16-2010, 12:43 AM
its more like i want champions choice for the low income earner? :L

can you explain why you prefer it over xcel premium? does it feel like gut in anyway?

have you tried nrg2 and x1bp?

Yeahhhhhh I've tried all the better multis.
To a noob all natural colored multis look like natty gut, but they really do not.
Also natty gut does not look the same depending on which coating they have.

Babolat VS all have a clear white coating called Thermoguard.

Of all multis, I prefer Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock, but the company is screwed up, so I get the second best for rain - X-One 17 and then do AluRough in the crosses. It plays well but not like my regular setup of VS Team mains and AluRough crosses.

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Agreed' but trust me i seriously think i can take James now. I Know you will tell him that LOL but it's the truth LOL

haha i do it to bring on the heat!

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeahhhhhh I've tried all the better multis.
To a noob all natural colored multis look like natty gut, but they really do not.
Also natty gut does not look the same depending on which coating they have.

Babolat VS all have a clear white coating called Thermoguard.

Of all multis, I prefer Laserfibre Supernatural gut prostock, but the company is screwed up, so I get the second best for rain - X-One 17 and then do AluRough in the crosses. It plays well but not like my regular setup of VS Team mains and AluRough crosses.

do you know which string looks the most like babolat vs?
so x1bp has your vote over nrg2?

i see you are a rich fella :D

Roger No.1
11-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Look newb, why you talk about [K] Gut, when the issue here is natty gut is beyond me :confused:

(K) Gut 16 is a natural gut, I think. I have a new package right in front of me

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 12:54 AM

lol where did you get that from?!

Roger No.1
11-16-2010, 01:12 AM
lol where did you get that from?!

My mistake... I always thought it was a natural string since it says Gut on the package and it wasn't cheap either.

Lambsscroll
11-16-2010, 03:37 AM
I've tried all the ones you listed and with out a doubt X-one has more of the characteristics of natural gut than the others

Lambsscroll
11-16-2010, 03:43 AM
As we all know natural gut grabs the ball for nice spin. So does X-one. Check out this link. http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/COFreporter.php Look at the bottom of the list. Hide hybrids first though.

ClubHoUno
11-16-2010, 08:08 AM

No! You're incorrect !

Wilson [K] Gut is a multi, not a natty gut string !!

DrpShot!
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
X1 BP ain't nothing like natural gut. Tecnifibre NRG2 and Tourna Quasi Gut come relatively close, but Natural Gut is still the best.

IMO Bab Xcel isnt' worth $18 for Premium and $20 for Power when compared to NRG2 at $14 and Quasi Gut at $9.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=332897
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=335316&page=2

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 06:48 PM
X1 BP ain't nothing like natural gut. Tecnifibre NRG2 and Tourna Quasi Gut come relatively close, but Natural Gut is still the best.

IMO Bab Xcel isnt' worth $18 for Premium and $20 for Power when compared to NRG2 at $14 and Quasi Gut at $9.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=332897
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=335316&page=2

quasi gut? really?

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 03:14 AM
nrg2 and x1bp
which looks more like natural gut?
which plays more like natural gut?

Rock Strongo
11-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Instead of buying a multi and disguise it as natural gut, just get some of the cheaper guts. As many people noted here, nothing feels as good as gut and even the cheapest gut strings would feel better. It's a bit like a cheap cut of beef compared to a fillet of beef.

parasailing
11-17-2010, 10:32 AM
quasi gut? really?

All the multis, NRG2, X1, Quasi Gut do not play like natural gut. Natural gut is the standard by which every manufacturer has been trying to emulate. I agree with Rock's suggestion to use cheaper natural gut as it still plays better than any of the multis especially if you don't break strings often.

Each of the strings has their own issues. NRG2 is probably the best value offering a little less power than X1 but being more consistent in tension. Quasi Gut is a good multi but I prefer a crisp feel so it wasn't for me.

kevoT
11-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Instead of buying a multi and disguise it as natural gut, just get some of the cheaper guts. As many people noted here, nothing feels as good as gut and even the cheapest gut strings would feel better. It's a bit like a cheap cut of beef compared to a fillet of beef.

One thing first, tjena! Yes I agree that even cheap guts are much better than multi's etc.

Mmmm fillet of beef, om nom nom nom.

Rock Strongo
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
One thing first, tjena! Yes I agree that even cheap guts are much better than multi's etc.

Mmmm fillet of beef, om nom nom nom.

Tjabba tjena hallå:)! Come to my place and we'll play a game of tennis and then have a beef Wellington. I'll cook:D
Just kidding, those 2 things together would be far too expensive, and I'm a much better cook than tennis player:P

Back on topic and speaking of fillet, for about the same price as a whole frozen fillet of beef here in Sweden you could always pick up the Spintex gut on the bay of E's. Though it's cheap, it's actually very good even though my stringer said it was quite dry. However since it's been a live product before, I don't know if you could get it into Australia....

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM

oh yeah i forgot to mention, rain is also a problem!

All the multis, NRG2, X1, Quasi Gut do not play like natural gut. Natural gut is the standard by which every manufacturer has been trying to emulate. I agree with Rock's suggestion to use cheaper natural gut as it still plays better than any of the multis especially if you don't break strings often.

Each of the strings has their own issues. NRG2 is probably the best value offering a little less power than X1 but being more consistent in tension. Quasi Gut is a good multi but I prefer a crisp feel so it wasn't for me.

rain, mm ...
thanks for the help ...

Rock Strongo
11-18-2010, 07:39 AM
If rain's the issue, you should get the Laserfibre SuperGutNaturalProSuperStockNaturalSuperGutPro or whatever its name is...

EDIT: you could also try not to play in rainy conditions. Does it rain that much in Australia?

athiker
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I'll throw one out not on your list. Prince Premier w/ Softflex 17. I just strung my backup racquet w/ a full bed for the first time the other day. My main racquet has a full natural gut job and I wanted a racquet that I could play in an off/on winter mist, etc. like we had the other day.

I was impressed with its comfort and touch and there seemed to be almost no adjustment for me in terms of power. I strung my nat gut at 60 and the premier at 58. I would probably say I had a bit less spin though. The strings also moved a bit. I played 2 hours of doubles and about 45 minutes of singles with it last night.

I have a sensitive elbow and shoulder so have only played hybrids in used racquets I've bought and always end up cutting them out so I can't comment on how the premier would do in a hybrid. Only that is was very easy to string and compared pretty favorably to my natural gut. I would still favor the full nat gut job. BTW, the nat gut I'm using is a cheap one off the auction site, so take into account what I'm comparing it too.

freshtennis
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
If rain's the issue, you should get the Laserfibre SuperGutNaturalProSuperStockNaturalSuperGutPro or whatever its name is...

EDIT: you could also try not to play in rainy conditions. Does it rain that much in Australia?

rich now, unfortunately yes ... raining the whole week except thursday ..

2handsbothsides
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I'll throw one out not on your list. Prince Premier w/ Softflex 17. I just strung my backup racket w/ a full bed for the first time the other day. My main racket has a full natural gut job and I wanted a racket that I could play in an off/on winter mist, etc. like we had the other day.

I was impressed with its comfort and touch and there seemed to be almost no adjustment for me in terms of power.

I have to second the Prince Premier Softflex, but in 16 gauge as it stretches so much it measures 1.25mm when strung. Still the most comfortable string in my opinion short of VS Gut. I have tried most of the other multi's and mid priced guts and nothing really compares to this one. Very nice power, great feel and pocket one you hit with it for a bit. For me X1 or Quasi Gut feels stiff compared to Softflex. Once you dial in the tension it provides fine control.

LaserFibre has interesting looking products but beware, I ordered LSNG Phenom from them several weeks ago, first they lied about shipping, I opened a PayPal dispute and they shipped me their synthetic gut packaged as the Phenom! The string sent was also the wrong gauge.

freshtennis
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
prince strings :/

mctennis
11-18-2010, 04:35 PM

From what I have heard that is normal.

basil J
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Try Tourna irradated multi. I use gut a lot in hybrids and came across this string by accident and I have been very impressed. It has great durability and plays very much like Klip lengend.

tennisnoob3
11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Try Tourna irradated multi. I use gut a lot in hybrids and came across this string by accident and I have been very impressed. It has great durability and plays very much like Klip lengend.

have you tried quasi? how did it compare if you did try both

charliefedererer
11-19-2010, 06:11 AM
rich now, unfortunately yes ... raining the whole week except thursday ..

Where's your patriotism?

How about using Klip Armour Pro?

With it's unique coating it will tolerat a sprinke (not a steady rain).

Yeah, it's a little stiffer than Babolat, but that may let you string a little lower (better for spin).

From Tennis Warehouse:

"Soggy when wet
Back in the day, getting natural gut wet could mean ruining a good string job. This was a bigger concern for players living in areas with a humid climate, where moisture in the air could penetrate the string and adversely affect its playability. However, today's natural gut strings are coated with a protective layer to prevent water and weather damage.

Even players who are hard on their strings can prolong the life of natural gut to get good value from the string. Several manufacturers recommend players in humid climates apply wax to their strings between usage. As well as keeping moisture out, cleaning the strings down with a cloth and rubbing wax on the stringbed prolongs string life by reducing friction and notching between strings. During play on clay, and even hard courts, dirt and grit lodged between the strings can increase friction. Friction creates notches on the surface of the string, leading to premature breakage. A little care taken to keep the strings waxed-up and grit free will lead to a much longer string life.

Natural gut manufacturers continue to improve their production processes in an effort to increase durability. For instance, Babolat currently uses a high-temperature finishing process in its Thermogut line of strings. The Thermogut treatment is designed to increase the cohesion of the string's fibers all the way down to the core."
- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/lc/naturalgut.html

Have a G'day, mate!

Tar Heel Tennis
11-19-2010, 06:51 AM
to OP:

your title is misleading. you have transposed the string types, so the thread title makes it appear that you are searching for a natural gut string to replace a multi.

freshtennis
11-19-2010, 02:35 PM
to OP:

your title is misleading. you have transposed the string types, so the thread title makes it appear that you are searching for a natural gut string to replace a multi.

no, just no.

Where's your patriotism?

How about using Klip Armour Pro?

With it's unique coating it will tolerat a sprinke (not a steady rain).

Yeah, it's a little stiffer than Babolat, but that may let you string a little lower (better for spin).

From Tennis Warehouse:

"Soggy when wet
Back in the day, getting natural gut wet could mean ruining a good string job. This was a bigger concern for players living in areas with a humid climate, where moisture in the air could penetrate the string and adversely affect its playability. However, today's natural gut strings are coated with a protective layer to prevent water and weather damage.

Even players who are hard on their strings can prolong the life of natural gut to get good value from the string. Several manufacturers recommend players in humid climates apply wax to their strings between usage. As well as keeping moisture out, cleaning the strings down with a cloth and rubbing wax on the stringbed prolongs string life by reducing friction and notching between strings. During play on clay, and even hard courts, dirt and grit lodged between the strings can increase friction. Friction creates notches on the surface of the string, leading to premature breakage. A little care taken to keep the strings waxed-up and grit free will lead to a much longer string life.

Natural gut manufacturers continue to improve their production processes in an effort to increase durability. For instance, Babolat currently uses a high-temperature finishing process in its Thermogut line of strings. The Thermogut treatment is designed to increase the cohesion of the string's fibers all the way down to the core."
- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/lc/naturalgut.html

Have a G'day, mate!

nah i dont want to use gut, i dont thik the coating will hold off sprinkles ..

i was planning to string it around 22kgs.

parasailing
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
have you tried quasi? how did it compare if you did try both

I have tried both and I prefer Irradiated over Quasi mainly due to the crisp feel of the string. Here on the forum, Quasi is more popular and has a following.

Blee1613
11-20-2010, 03:53 PM
So strings like Gaucho and Global Gut are better than high-end multi's like X-1?

freshtennis
11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
So strings like Gaucho and Global Gut are better than high-end multi's like X-1?

prefer not using global or gaucho, heard they break with unexperienced gaucho/global stringers and they sell in 10s only?

nvottennis
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
prefer not using global or gaucho, heard they break with unexperienced gaucho/global stringers and they sell in 10s only?

I'm just wondering, but if youre on dsquad, how come you dont use the dunlop strings? I know its all preference, but was there anything wrong with their strings that you didnt like?

freshtennis
11-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm just wondering, but if youre on dsquad, how come you dont use the dunlop strings? I know its all preference, but was there anything wrong with their strings that you didnt like?

no, i would use their string but i have a preferred players package offer but i didnt get the 4d package im waiting for the biomimetic package to come out (next year)