PDA

View Full Version : anyone dare to try 4 string hybrid?

arche3
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
say,,,
RPM blast center mains (55lbs). Genesis BM outer mains (45lbs)
VS 17 gut center crosses (60lbs), Alu power outer crosses (55lbs)

I bet you can go nuts with this, lol. :)

aggietex08
11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Is using 4 strings in a hybrid legal or safe for the frame?

Nuke
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
If you want to use multiple strings just for the heck of it, get the Blackburne double strung racquet. It has two complete planes of stringing so you could have a different hybrid for your backhand and forehand side.

http://www.blackburneds.com/assets/images/homepict.jpg

bcart1991
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

stevenwags987
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
If you want to use multiple strings just for the heck of it, get the Blackburne double strung racquet. It has two complete planes of stringing so you could have a different hybrid for your backhand and forehand side.

http://www.blackburneds.com/assets/images/homepict.jpg

I actually have one of these exact rackets....

They are so unbelievably unfair, no wonder they are banned.

-Steven

meowmix
11-15-2010, 12:11 PM
There's actually a place that strings 3 piece hybrids. Don't remember the name of the store, but they're in Atlanta... They also posted some interesting articles on it.

arche3
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
It would be an interesting experiment. I prefer all poly. I tried a alu-vs hybrid but prefer all poly.

GameSetMatch
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
say,,,
RPM blast center mains (55lbs). Genesis BM outer mains (45lbs)
VS 17 gut center crosses (60lbs), Alu power outer crosses (55lbs)

I bet you can go nuts with this, lol. :)

ROTFL!!! WTF?

Have to admit I tried something similar for a bit of fun years ago though I alternated each main string with the alternative string as in 1,0,1,0 etc, and then did the same with the crosses. Inconsistent feel and response of the stringbed wouldn't begin to describe it!

T1000
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
so basically a 6 piece string job? I guess I'll try it with some crap string I have that I'm not using with an old racquet, should be fun and it seems possible.

coachrick
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Ah, you youngsters don't know diddly(how do you spell d-i-d-d-l-y?)! :) Back in the '80s, we had the ultimate hybrid rackets from Head. EACH string was independent of the others, allowing a 'total' hybrid--no two strings matching! I probably had no more than 12-15 different string types in a String-Lok Vector at one point. If you had three-dozen or so different string pieces, you could string the 'ultimate'. Three-piece, four-piece...HA!...child's play! ;)

arche3
11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
so basically a 6 piece string job? I guess I'll try it with some crap string I have that I'm not using with an old racquet, should be fun and it seems possible.

Totally post a picture.

arche3
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Ah, you youngsters don't know diddly(how do you spell d-i-d-d-l-y?)! :) Back in the '80s, we had the ultimate hybrid rackets from Head. EACH string was independent of the others, allowing a 'total' hybrid--no two strings matching! I probably had no more than 12-15 different string types in a String-Lok Vector at one point. If you had three-dozen or so different string pieces, you could string the 'ultimate'. Three-piece, four-piece...HA!...child's play! ;)

Its good us ocd string guys here don't have that option.... I would never leave the house.

coachrick
11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Its good us ocd string guys here don't have that option.... I would never leave the house.

:) :) They come up on elbayo from time to time. Gotta have the barrel inserts, however. If someone has the barrels and inserts, I'm pretty sure any of the non-tubular Head models(aluminum, of course) can be per-ver-ted--I mean converted--to StringLok. We changed out a Red Head, Head Edge, in addition to the 'factory' Vector w/StringLok.

I can hear it now: "I need to change that third main from the outside to poly...the multi is just too lively". :) The fun is having all different colors, making for a real bizarro string job!

Thanks to jimbo333, we have a shot of the String Lock frame, barrels and inserts:
http://i42.tinypic.com/5d2zw0.jpg

Ambivalent
11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I can try to do this next time I string my own rackets. I'd probably just do the left mains with big hitter blue, the right poly with red code, the top crosses with gosen og sheep and bottom with technifibre nrg

mctennis
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Why would you want to do this? It doesn't make sense. I don't think it would work very well at all.

freshtennis
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
how about

a natural gut, a multi, a luxilon, and synthetic gut?

arche3
11-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Why would you want to do this? It doesn't make sense. I don't think it would work very well at all.

I agree. Probably hit like sh*t. But if anyone does string it please forward picture and thread to Davyenko's brother.

goran_ace
11-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Playability aside, we probably come up with a multi-piece string pattern to make a plaid or gingham check pattern that would look cool.

mawashi
11-16-2010, 06:02 AM
The string bed is only as strong as the weakest link or in this case string... all that effort and when one string breaks you'll have the joy of doing it all again :)

mawashi

goran_ace
11-16-2010, 06:18 AM
The string bed is only as strong as the weakest link or in this case string... all that effort and when one string breaks you'll have the joy of doing it all again :)

mawashi

that was the point of the Head String-Lock system. if one breaks you can replace just that one string and not have to do the whole string bed! cool idea, but apparently didn't work out so well in real life.

Lefty5
11-16-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm going to have nightmares about tying 8 knots, 4 of which I'd have to expand the grommet... no thanks!

kkm
11-16-2010, 06:27 AM
There's actually a place that strings 3 piece hybrids. Don't remember the name of the store, but they're in Atlanta... They also posted some interesting articles on it.

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/going-rogue-in-the-stringing-workshop/