PDA

View Full Version : What does hitting through the ball mean???

icklemoley
06-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Can someone please explain what hitting through the ball means please? Thank you.

paulfreda
06-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Briefly, the opposite of brushing up the back of the ball to generate max topspin.
It is hitting flat (in the extreme).
Imagine a slow mo picture of the ball over a distance of one foot; sorta like there are 5 or 6 balls in stop action. Then try to make all those balls go "thru" the frame/strings by swinging so the frame is going toward the TARGET, not the sky as one would for topspin.

papa
06-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah, another visual might be trying to drive the ball into a pipe/tube.

Thanatos
06-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Yeah, another visual might be trying to drive the ball into a pipe/tube.

That's my similar opinion about hitting through the ball. Your racket path takes a more linear swing. Instead of making contact with the ball and quickly following through with the racket over your shoulder. You should extend the follow through further (linearly) and then over the shoulder. This will increase your timing of the ball and hitting zone, which results is less mis-hits or framing of the ball. Not sure if my explanation is clear in writing. I guess another way to say it is to "drive the ball".

TwistServe
06-07-2005, 05:51 AM
You played baseball right? The normal way you hit with a bat is to go "through" the baseball. This tends to give maximum penetration. Same thing with tennis.. To go through the ball means to drive it out forward. Still keep your low to high motion but drive it forward too.

Kana Himezaki
06-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Hitting through a tube is good to visualize it.

Just push your palm out through the ball as far as you can. It's essential for drives, depth, and even topspin with the low to high motion.

redtennis55
06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
You should try to hit through the ball on most strokes. It gives you more depth.

Marius_Hancu
06-08-2005, 02:40 AM
yes, liniarize via various means:

- push with elbow or shoulder
- step into the ball
- "stay with the ball," don't separate/detach from it too early (some say for 4-6 ball lengths)

papa
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
That's my similar opinion about hitting through the ball. Your racket path takes a more linear swing. Instead of making contact with the ball and quickly following through with the racket over your shoulder. You should extend the follow through further (linearly) and then over the shoulder. This will increase your timing of the ball and hitting zone, which results is less mis-hits or framing of the ball. Not sure if my explanation is clear in writing. I guess another way to say it is to "drive the ball".

OK, but don't put words in my mouth --- I'm not saying to not follow through and finish around the shoulders. What I was saying is that for a short part of the swing the racquet does have a more lateral movement during the hitting zone as compared to "just" a upward motions. The linier movement is generally in conjunction with the weight shift/punch aspect of the stroke.

TwistServe
06-08-2005, 10:22 AM
One tip about going through the ball..

I've heard lots of coaches explain that you need longer "extension" and that you need to "reach" as far as you can, and keep "contact" with the ball as long as you can thereby making your arm straight (no bent elbow). I think this is total bad advise.

Hitting through the ball does not mean to flatten out the ball. You still want the heavy upward motion but you want to go forward too. That's how you get the heavy penetrating spin! Do not get the elbow too far away from the body. Brush up hard while going forward, just like a serve and any other stroke.

Also different grips will change the swing path but ultimately you want to brush up while going forward.

kevhen
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Continue your swing after you strike the ball. Many beginners will stop the swing as soon as they make contact with the ball but you can add more spin and control to your shot if you swing through it and will have a much nicer looking shot if you follow through.

krnboijunsung
06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Thats what alot of new players not do. Hitting through makes the biggest difference. Whether it be for a flat shot or for topspin. The place you end your arm with (either across your body or over the opposite shoulder) decides the outcome of what type of shot.

papa
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Continue your swing after you strike the ball. Many beginners will stop the swing as soon as they make contact with the ball but you can add more spin and control to your shot if you swing through it and will have a much nicer looking shot if you follow through.

What you've said is true but the reality is also that one of the best ways for begineers to get hurt is trying to stop the racquet after the hit - it just has to keep going and if your concerned, catch the racquet with you non hitting hand. However, the swing will slow down nicely by itself.

This ranks right there with those that insist on keeping the non hitting hand attached to the stomach during the entire process - different problem of course but the same mind set. Incidently, to most of us its one of the tell tales signs that the "newer" player has had little or no sports background with anything involving a racquet, stick, bat, etc.