PDA

View Full Version : If Mantis is Third Best...

TimothyO
11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Given that the first-place string in this category is a natural gut, this means that Mantis Comfort Synthetic is the second best synthetic string for Comfort in our playtests.

The quote above is from RSI's review of Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16.

Anyone know what the first and second best strings were and how one might find this list? I found one RSI list but it doesn't mention Mantis at all.

GameSetMatch
11-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Probably a Zyex based string eg. Ashaway Dynamite Soft 17.

Can't say I really understood the appeal of ultra soft strings (apart from arm injury related issues) because you just end up having a much slower response off the string bed, which doesn't help in taking time away from your opponent. Seriously, I cringe when I hear people say there's alot of dwell time and huge pocketing of the ball.

mikeler
11-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Check out post 199 in my thread below:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5173336&highlight=pepka#post5173336

Mantis Comfort is the softest multi I've ever hit with by a long shot. It does not match the RSI stiffness rating given.

Valjean
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
The quote above is from RSI's review of Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16.

Anyone know what the first and second best strings were and how one might find this list? I found one RSI list but it doesn't mention Mantis at all.
Your quote is taken from the playtest itself, so it refers to the Comfort category rating, one of 10 which playtesters are asked to submit.

This should not be confused with the lab stiffness rating assigned the string, which RSI also publishes.

The Comfort rankings were:

1. Wilson's Natural 16
2. Tecnifibre's X-One Biphase 17
3. Mantis's Comfort Synthetic 16/Prince's Premier LT (tied)

P.S. Prince's Premier LT isn't the softest string, BTW, too!

mikeler
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
^^^ Thanks for posting that.

TimothyO
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
This should not be confused with the lab stiffness rating assigned the string, which RSI also publishes.

Yes, excellent point! I've now experienced the difference between stiffness rating and actual performance. I tried a less expensive version of my now standard VS mains + Xcel crosses configuration and paid for it with arm pain and less control. On paper the strings were similar but in reality they were wildly different!

mikeler
11-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Most of the multis I've tried to date do correlate well between elbow comfort and the RSI stiffness numbers with the exception of Mantis Comfort.

JT_2eighty
11-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Can't say I really understood the appeal of ultra soft strings (apart from arm injury related issues) because you just end up having a much slower response off the string bed, which doesn't help in taking time away from your opponent. Seriously, I cringe when I hear people say there's alot of dwell time and huge pocketing of the ball.

The appeal is largely from us in the over-30 crowd, looking for exactly that, arm health.

Getting old is a pain, enjoy your youth while you can! Once you hit ~29+ all the years of shock to your joints will have you reaching for the "softies"! :lol:

Uvijek Argen
11-16-2010, 08:55 AM
The appeal is largely from us in the over-30 crowd, looking for exactly that, arm health.

Getting old is a pain, enjoy your youth while you can! Once you hit ~29+ all the years of shock to your joints will have you reaching for the "softies"! :lol:

Amen to what you just said...:wink:

mikeler
11-16-2010, 08:55 AM

The magical age where the elbow tendons got brittle was 35 for me.

TimothyO
11-16-2010, 09:03 AM

I'm 44 and fully agree!

I run, fence, try to eat right and now play tennis but there's no avoiding certain aspects of getting older.

WRT tennis I've learned that my upper limit for string stiffness is ~170. Everything I've tried at that point and higher tends to cause some level of discomfort. Babolat Xcel 17 Premium crosses is about as much as I can take.

However, I will be trying Mantis as I'm very curious about its low power performance.

mikeler
11-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm 44 and fully agree!

I run, fence, try to eat right and now play tennis but there's no avoiding certain aspects of getting older.

WRT tennis I've learned that my upper limit for string stiffness is ~170. Everything I've tried at that point and higher tends to cause some level of discomfort. Babolat Xcel 17 Premium crosses is about as much as I can take.

However, I will be trying Mantis as I'm very curious about its low power performance.

The only real downside of the Mantis is lack of durability since most multis are not known for spin potential anyways. I'd rather kill my strings and save my arm though.

TimothyO
11-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Mikiler,

How do you think the following would perform relative to one another:

VS 16 Mains + Mantis Comfort 16 Crosses...

compared to...

VS 16 Mains + Technifibre X-1 Biphase 17 Crosses...

Currently I'm using Xcel Premium 17 for the crosses. Objective is #1 comfort, #2 low power/control. I know it's a hypothetical but you seem to have lots of experience with different strings and might be able to gauge this. (badda bing!) :)

What's the tension loss on the Mantis?

Any idea how Biphase 17 compares to 18?

mikeler
11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I can't comment on VS 16 Mains or Biphase. I'm a little too cheap to spend that much money for strings. The Mantis tension loss does not seem to be as much as RSI measured either. I string all my sticks at the same tension and like to use the old "ping" test to see what tension the strings are at. When I was testing out various multis, the Mantis always had the highest ping even after it was used longer than the other multis I was testing.

BreakPoint
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, excellent point! I've now experienced the difference between stiffness rating and actual performance. I tried a less expensive version of my now standard VS mains + Xcel crosses configuration and paid for it with arm pain and less control. On paper the strings were similar but in reality they were wildly different!
That's why it's best to try strings for yourself rather than rely on those RSI stiffness ratings, which I've found to be misleading quite often.

BreakPoint
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
The only real downside of the Mantis is lack of durability since most multis are not known for spin potential anyways. I'd rather kill my strings and save my arm though.
Agreed! Mantis Comfort Synthetic is an arm saver.

pvaudio
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
That's why it's best to try strings for yourself rather than rely on those RSI stiffness ratings, which I've found to be misleading quite often.
Couldn't agree more. Numbers don't even tell a fifth of the story. Forten Sweet is listed as stiff. It feels like pudding. Laserfibre SNGPS is listed as stiff. If I close my eyes, I can't tell that it's not gut. Genesis Black Magic is listed as soft. Feels like a board. You have to put the strings in and find out for yourself, that's the only way.

mawashi
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Couldn't agree more. Numbers don't even tell a fifth of the story. Forten Sweet is listed as stiff. It feels like pudding. Laserfibre SNGPS is listed as stiff. If I close my eyes, I can't tell that it's not gut. Genesis Black Magic is listed as soft. Feels like a board. You have to put the strings in and find out for yourself, that's the only way.

Black magic feels like a board? I actually found it very soft for a poly even when strung at 57/57... barely lasted 30 mins for me but the spin and control while it lasted was amazing.

The softest poly I've used is cyber blue but it felt mushy and I didn't like it at all.

mawashi

pvaudio
11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Black magic feels like a board? I actually found it very soft for a poly even when strung at 57/57... barely lasted 30 mins for me but the spin and control while it lasted was amazing.

The softest poly I've used is cyber blue but it felt mushy and I didn't like it at all.

mawashi
Feel is the wrong word I guess. It played like it was made out of wood. Hated every minute of it. SpinX, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorites. I even bought a reel of it.

coloskier
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Probably a Zyex based string eg. Ashaway Dynamite Soft 17.

Stay away from Dynamite Soft 17 unless you like restringing your rackets after every 90 minutes of play. It will play great for that 90 minutes, but then it will be broken. My set only lasted 75 minutes, and I'm a flat hitter.

mikeler
11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
My last set of Mantis Comfort 16 almost made it through 5 long sets. Such great feel, if only it lasted longer.

The Big Kahuna
11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Mantis Comfort makes a superb cross string in a hybrid - feels very close to gut. Blend it with a soft co-poly with some bite, and you have something that is greater than the sum of it's parts - in my case, Signum Pro Tornado.

What I got was a great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added good touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado. My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

Enough comfort for us old guys and enough radical spin for you young whipper-snappers.

mikeler
11-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Mantis Comfort makes a superb cross string in a hybrid - feels very close to gut. Blend it with a soft co-poly with some bite, and you have something that is greater than the sum of it's parts - in my case, Signum Pro Tornado.

What I got was a great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added good touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado. My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

Enough comfort for us old guys and enough radical spin for you young whipper-snappers.

What kind of durability do you get? Does the Mantis break first? Thanks!

bad_call
11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
What kind of durability do you get? Does the Mantis break first? Thanks!

notched/fraying multi crosses and poly mains...not a good combo unless one likes "locked" polys. probably great for an hour or so.

el sergento
11-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Let's put that theory to the test:

Switched to flexy racquet (MG PMP) - check
Started hybriding instead of full bed poly - check
Prefer using softer polys - check
Prefer soft multis, NXT, X1 - check
Tensions have been dropping (60 to 54) - check

Looks at drivers licence, over 29 - check

CRAP!

JT_2eighty
11-30-2010, 12:55 PM
^^ are you saying you still have pain when you play? If so, then it's time to completely ditch anything with the word "poly" in your setup, and even start looking at nat gut... over time you will get used to the softer feel, although will continue to long for the spin and control that polys provide... I had to go all the way to gut mains/multi crosses, strung around 60-62 pounds and my arm feels great, with solid control. I've never been a big spinner though, with my eastern strokes, so, it just depends on how far you are willing to go to save your arm, and since I couldn't stop playing due to my tennis addiction... Gut it is!

el sergento
11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
^^^^^

I was being facetious :) I actually have a bum shoulder from playing rugby (torn labrum :(). Had I never played Rugby who knows, maybe I'd be able to play with a Babolat strung with Kevlar.

You're right though, eventually I will have to switch a full multi or gut. Till then, I like my cheapo Cyberflash/Gosen (sometime NXT) combo.