PDA

View Full Version : Save Money, With Great Strings

stevenwags987
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
We all know that Luxilon, Babalot, Technifibre, etc all make fantastic strings. But lets face it, your paying for the name right?

I believe that cheaper strings are just as good as expensive strings, just without the big names.

That being said I wanted to start a thread about WHAT YOU THINK ARE THE BEST POLY'S FOR UNDER 10 DOLLARS A SET.

I personally have never used a string under 10 dollars because there's so many to choose from and I just don't know what to choose, and Im sure there are many people who also have that same problem so im hoping this thread will help.

So to sum this up, post your favorite poly's for under 10 dollars. No specific criteria either, just what you believe is the best poly for your buck.

-Steven

WitheringDemise
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Oh gosh. This is gonna be a pretty long list :|

But just to name a few...

Topspin Cyber Flash
Topspin Cyber Blue
Topspin Cyber Red
Unique Big Hitter Blue
Pro Supex Big Ace/Big Ace Micro
Pro Supex Blue Gear
Luxilon Adrenaline
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Volkl Cyclone
MSV Focus Hex
Technifibre Pro Redcode
Genesis Black Magic
Genesis Typhoon

List goes on and on...but those are the string I have tried..

stevenwags987
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Also if you could describe what you like about your favorite strings, that would probobly be even more helpful for eveyone ( including myself :)

-Steven

HiroProtagonist
11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
I actually did a TON of research on this very topic when I first found these boards, I wasnt lazy like you:) and actually searched for the info I wanted and read through countless threads to find the most recommened and well thought of strings under $10 a set.

Because I am a nice person I will share my findings and I will stick to poly's, in no particular order.

-SPPP
-WC Scorpion
-MSV FH(I have taken this off my list of strings to try)
-Tourna BHB
-Volkl Cyclone
-Genesis Typhoon& Hexonic
-PolyStar Energy
-Top Spin Cyber blue
-Blue Gear

Basically the same list as above so just a little confirmation for you.

stevenwags987
11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I actually did a TON of research on this very topic when I first found these boards, I wasnt lazy like you:) and actually searched for the info I wanted and read through countless threads to find the most recommened and well thought of strings under $10 a set.

Because I am a nice person I will share my findings and I will stick to poly's, in no particular order.

-SPPP
-WC Scorpion
-Tourna BHB
-Volkl Cyclone
-PolyStar Energy
-Top Spin Cyber blue
-Blue Gear

hahaha, I have done a lot of research to be honest with you.

It just seems like the more research I do the more everyone contradicts each string.

Im just hoping that there will be a good pattern of strings that everyone seems to like by having them list em.

I would find a good string for cheap and think to myself "im deffently getting these" then after a bit more research I think to myself "eyyy well to many people actually disliked it"

Now I know theres not a string that everyone is going to like, just hoping to find a few strings with a good majority of likings

galain
11-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Gosen Polylon is a surprisingly good string for its price if you like a softer poly.

Icedorb217
11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Genesis SpinX!!! Also poster above did you try Polystar Energy?

Oriental_Noodle
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Genesis SpinX!!! Also poster above did you try Polystar Energy?

Polystar Energy is a great string but lose tension really fast. That's what I've been hearing

HiroProtagonist
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
hahaha, I have done a lot of research to be honest with you.

It just seems like the more research I do the more everyone contradicts each string.

Im just hoping that there will be a good pattern of strings that everyone seems to like by having them list em.

I would find a good string for cheap and think to myself "im deffently getting these" then after a bit more research I think to myself "eyyy well to many people actually disliked it"

Now I know theres not a string that everyone is going to like, just hoping to find a few strings with a good majority of likings

Well really I think you will come to the same conclusion I did, and that is that the reason we see/saw so much variation in people's opinions is because this is a subjective thing and different people look for different aspects in their strings.

So I compiled that list and set forth bravely to test those strings and see which one was for me. I really think that is the only way you are going to find what you are looking for, as all the strings on that list are obviously high quality but vary in playing characteristics.

You will never find "the one" cheap co-poly from people's opinions.

kiteboard
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Topspin Cyber Flash
Topspin Cyber Blue
Topspin Cyber Red
Unique Big Hitter Blue
Pro Supex Blue Gear
Luxilon Adrenaline
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Volkl Cyclone
MSV Focus Hex
Technifibre Pro Redcode
Genesis Black Magic
Genesis Typhoon

Cf is gooey and loses tens. way fast.
Sppp holds tens very well, with low power.
Msv hex is good spin for 1/2hr, then goes long on you.
Redcode is a good stiff string, but the second half of reels is brittle and shear breaks are too common.
Blue gear is best among these chosen, with sppp/redcode next.

brownbearfalling
11-16-2010, 01:46 AM
When calculating per set price for a reel wiesscannon silver string comes out to under $10 a set. Many would agree that this string is the best value for the price. It maintains tension on par with Alu power and the more expensive polys.

To add to the already thorough list:
(basically any poly under $160 a reel qualifies)
Kirschbaum competition/ spiky shark/ pro lines 1 and 2
Iso speed baseline
Golden set polys
Wilson enduro
Solinco outlast and revolution
Head sonic pro
Boris Becker orange poly
IMO iso speed baseline has the best value of any poly. The playability is average ( a little soft) but the price can't be beat. And the available gauges ensures that you are getting what you want.

I played with sp poly plasma for a while then sp poly pure. Now playing with silver string and sometimes black magic. Both are worth the extra money. I always keep a reel of iso speed around for experimenting with tension and to string up racquets im playtesting

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Mantis Poly Power = Luxilon Alu Power

freshtennis
11-16-2010, 02:34 AM
Tourna Big Hitter Silver = Luxilon Alu Power
Klippermate Power Burst = Luxilon Alu Power

jack crack
11-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Isospeed spin hybrid with isospeed control. 4.95 for each half set. I'm a relative beginner. Switched to this after trying Technifibre code black. Like them both but the Isospeed seems to give better control and comfort with no loss in spin.

DrpShot!
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
If your arm can take polys this is a phenominal string for less than $5/set that works great in powerful, open pattern rackets:
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Silver String 16 Reel = $69.95 TW

rodrigoamaral
11-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Topspin Cyber Flash
Topspin Cyber Blue
Topspin Cyber Red
Unique Big Hitter Blue
Pro Supex Blue Gear
Luxilon Adrenaline
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Volkl Cyclone
MSV Focus Hex
Technifibre Pro Redcode
Genesis Black Magic
Genesis Typhoon

agree with the list here.. would probably just add poly star energy and polyfibre tcs to the list

shubydoobydo
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM

-SPPP
-WC Scorpion
-Tourna BHB
-Volkl Cyclone
-PolyStar Energy
-Top Spin Cyber blue
-Blue Gear

Do you have the whole list ploys etc. Do you have it in excel that you could email to me? And yes I am that lazy guy... I just read and don't research that much

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Tourna Big Hitter Silver = Luxilon Alu Power
Klippermate Power Burst = Luxilon Alu Power

Lol you haven't hit with those strings...............

stevenwags987
11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Lol you haven't hit with those strings...............

Love your sig!

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Love your sig!

HA cheers! I think it speaks for itself:twisted:

Oh BTW gotta love your Federer Avatar.....what was Feds thinking!

stevenwags987
11-18-2010, 08:06 AM
HA cheers! I think it speaks for itself:twisted:

Oh BTW gotta love your Federer Avatar.....what was Feds thinking!

hahaha he was young, we all do wacky things.....

But Fed, the blonde doesn't work, keep those perfect brown locks!