PDA

View Full Version : Tension question

jack crack
11-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Need a bit of advice.

I have only been playing about 3 years. Still experimenting and figuring things out. So please bear with me if this is basic question:

I am trying different string set ups every couple months. I understand how and why lower tension should equal more spins potential. What I am not clear on is the relationship between tension and power and tension and control.

I have had mixed experience and am getting mixed advice on this. Feedback appreciated.

thebuffman
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
and just to confuse you further let me add that scientific results apparently are proving lower tension does not equate more power. higher and lower tensions are directly proportional to lower and higher ball trajectory. in other words if you are hitting short, lower the tension. if you are hitting long, up the tension. same power, same swing speed, different trajectory.

jack crack
11-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Okay, that I didn't know.

LeeD
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Problem becomes one of involving the player the question is directed at.
Big fast long swingers want lower bounce, so tend to use higher tensions.
Short slow swingers want more bounce off their rackets, so use really stiff rackets that have low string tension.
But what about YOU? If you up the tension, you need to swing harder to get the pace and depth, but is that good for your control?
OTOH, when you down the tension, the ball does jump off your strings quicker, but can you limit your swings slow all the time, and does that allow for you to get control...the slow swing?
Some people use high swing speeds for control.
Some people use LOW swing speeds for control.
But which are you?

pheonix6579
11-18-2010, 05:09 AM
think of it this way...imagine jumping up and down. Your surface (tension) will determine how you land. if you are jumping on a tramopline when you land you sink in and then the surface shoots you back up (which is teh case with lower tensions). If you were jumping on concrete (high tensions) when you land, you dont get as much bounce ;) .

jack crack
11-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Problem becomes one of involving the player the question is directed at.
Big fast long swingers want lower bounce, so tend to use higher tensions.
Short slow swingers want more bounce off their rackets, so use really stiff rackets that have low string tension.
But what about YOU? If you up the tension, you need to swing harder to get the pace and depth, but is that good for your control?
OTOH, when you down the tension, the ball does jump off your strings quicker, but can you limit your swings slow all the time, and does that allow for you to get control...the slow swing?
Some people use high swing speeds for control.
Some people use LOW swing speeds for control.
But which are you?

Honestly, I am working on that still. I am tall and lanky, 6'4". I like taking fast, compact cuts. I have been reworking things though. Trying to open up, and slow down my swing. Trying to get more control while knowing my arm length will transfer into more racket speed anyway. A more efficient and accurate stroke. Have to say I am still experimenting and not really settled into a style I call my own yet. I need more control than anything else.

Oddly enough I feel the strings with lower tensions I am currently using (isospeed co poly spin in mains and control in crosses) seems to give better control and less power than the tighter black code I was using.

This got me confused as it seems opposite of what should be happening.

Then a pro just told me it is important I jack up the tension for control and spin. Mixed message between what I have experienced and what I have been told.