PDA

View Full Version : Soft Poly Suggestions?

lstewart
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone using a poly that you were recommend that is on the softer/comfortable end of the spectrum (for a poly anyway)? My arm absolutely does not handle poly very well, but I sure love ripping groundstrokes and having them stay in the court. I've tried several polys and am currently hitting a hybrid with multi in the mains and poly in the crosses. I'm using Solinco Tour Bite 18g, and have used Lux ALU Rough and Spin in the past. Liked these better than some of the others. Would love to find one that is truely softer and more arm friendly, while still getting the spin benefit. There seems to be dozens saying they are soft. Any of these really live up to the claim?

bad_call
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
PS Big Ace Micro is quite soft and liked by a few.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=290664&highlight=micro

also check out Kirschbaum PLII 1.20...found that one to be quite comfy as well.

rodrigoamaral
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
i have tried quite a few and my list is:

polyfibre tcs
poly star energy
pro supex big ace micro
topspin cyber blue
kirsbaum touch turbo

these would be good strings to strt with

lstewart
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks... looks like some good options. Do you guys find you need to string some of these choices (like the Micro 19g) tighter than what one might string standard poly? Reading about some of these I keep seeing "powerful and lively", which sounds like they might have a little too much pop if strung too low.

Darkhors
11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
If you like Tour Bite, then you should try Barb Wire. It's the tourbite string (essentially) but it's also twisted. It's a co-poly so it's softer than tourbite, but it has ridiculous spin potential. I'm not sure what racket you're using or what tension you're stringing the Tour Bite at, but you may have to tweek the tension a bit.

I would at least try it at your current tension and then go from there. Another good string to test out would be Volkl Cyclone. Also a co-poly, it's soft and gear shaped so it can produce a lot of spin as well. Both of these are much cheaper than Lux and I feel are better strings.

The last benefit from co-poly's that I think is under rated is that you get back some of that touch you lose with standard poly's.

Good luck with your search.

DH

lstewart
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks... interesting to hear about the Volkl string. I've justed switched to the Becker London frame which started this new string seach, as the Becker is not as arm friendly with the hybrid poly set-up as I was using before. I like the Tour Bite compared to other polys I've tried, but am still looking for something a little easier on the arm, so these other options are worth a try. I generally back off a little on the poly tension, but don't go to the real low levels. Right now I'm hitting multi mains at 60, and Tour Bite 18g crosses at 54. Works pretty well, but still checking out other options. Would love a string with some of the spin that you get from poly, but otherwise to feel a little more like a synthetic gut or low powered multi.

bad_call
11-16-2010, 02:53 PM
string the MG Prestige Pro with BAM mains and Gosen OGSM 17 crosses at 50/53. not a real "powerful" poly IMO. definitely give it a try and u might be pleasantly surprised.

jmhs
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
....Another good string to test out would be Volkl Cyclone. Also a co-poly, it's soft and gear shaped so it can produce a lot of spin as well...DH

I know so much of this is individual, but I've read around here a number of times that Cyclone is relatively stiff. Good to hear that you think it's soft.

Icedorb217
11-17-2010, 08:07 PM
+1 on Polystar Energy. Thing feels like syn. gut to me.
Also IMO the Genesis poly line up its all soft and each as its own characteristics.

hescobal
11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Genesis hexonic
Weiss cannon scorpion

Scorpion is softer, but both are soft for a poly. I have hexonic at 60lbs and scorpion at 62 lbs, but should have probably strung it at my racquets max tension of 63.

rudester
11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Genesis SpinX and Typhoon, good tension retention
Signum Pro Hyperion, soft playable
Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite, very nice in tight pattern racquet
Big Ace Micro, Great in closed pattern racquets
Polystar Energy, is very soft very powerful, loses tension quickly

mawashi
11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
PS Big Ace Micro is quite soft and liked by a few.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=290664&highlight=micro

also check out Kirschbaum PLII 1.20...found that one to be quite comfy as well.

Agree, add SPPP, Cyberblue and Black Magic too.

mawashi

airman88
11-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I think you ned to make different categories of soft: mushy and soft, crisp but soft, soft-playing (but stiff), soft but play stiff.

lstewart
11-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Wow, now the question is what to string some of these choices at. Sounds like some, if not most, should be strung close to normal tensions for synthetic or multi. Sounds like it I string them too loose I might not get a good idea of their control, since alot of these are listed as lively and powerful. I've got 6 of these soft poly suggestions on the way. Probably will test them as hybrids, matched with synthetic or multi. Only have 2 Becker London frames at this time, so will take some time to check all these out unless I am restringing every couple of days. Looking forward to testing these options. Right now am hitting Babolat Addiction 16g multi in the mains at 60lbs, and Solinco Tour Bite 18g poly in the crosses at 54lbs. Felt good for a couple of days, but strings have loosened up a little and the multi has become too lively. Still get good spin from the poly and the strokes are dropping as you would expect with spin, but just don't like that extra jumpy power that multi can generate. Feel like I am hitting the ball 700mph... just too much power!

Preston
11-18-2010, 07:15 AM
I think you ned to make different categories of soft: mushy and soft, crisp but soft, soft-playing (but stiff), soft but play stiff.

Airman- would you mind providing some examples of the last two you said here, soft playing but stiff and soft but play stiff.

I've hit a couple that raised this thought from me, but I figured it was unfounded on my part.

mozzer
11-18-2010, 07:45 AM
I find PolyStar Energy to play really crisp whilst being very soft, on the other hand, Blackcode was way too mushy and soft.

airman88
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Airman- would you mind providing some examples of the last two you said here, soft playing but stiff and soft but play stiff.

I've hit a couple that raised this thought from me, but I figured it was unfounded on my part.

RPM is one example. Supposedly has a similar stiffness as PHT, but people say it is soft.

XFactorer
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Topspin Concept Pure is soft and crisp.
Topspin Cyber Blue is soft and powerful.
PolyStar Energy is a mushier, springier soft and powerful with plenty of control.
Lux Fluoro is a soft string that plays stiffer but not crisper.
PolyFibre HighTec is a firm kind of elastically soft.

I like Concept Pure the most for its overall tension maintenance and playability (for my game and racquet). PolyStar is a close second, but I restring that weekly.

ccapp
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyone using a poly that you were recommend that is on the softer/comfortable end of the spectrum (for a poly anyway)? My arm absolutely does not handle poly very well, but I sure love ripping groundstrokes and having them stay in the court. I've tried several polys and am currently hitting a hybrid with multi in the mains and poly in the crosses. I'm using Solinco Tour Bite 18g, and have used Lux ALU Rough and Spin in the past. Liked these better than some of the others. Would love to find one that is truely softer and more arm friendly, while still getting the spin benefit. There seems to be dozens saying they are soft. Any of these really live up to the claim?

If you are having arm trouble, stay away from a true poly. There are lots of really nice co-poly strings that offer nice shock absorption at impact, but don't trampoline the ball like a mult-filament. I use Black Code 18g. I string it max, just as I did the NXT Tour I used to play with. Kirschbaum Pro Line II is even softer than Black Code. It's a co-poly that is probably as soft as many high-end mult-filaments. It was too soft for my preference, but definitely easy on the arm.

kiteboard
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
If you are having arm trouble, stay away from a true poly. There are lots of really nice co-poly strings that offer nice shock absorption at impact, but don't trampoline the ball like a mult-filament. I use Black Code 18g. I string it max, just as I did the NXT Tour I used to play with. Kirschbaum Pro Line II is even softer than Black Code. It's a co-poly that is probably as soft as many high-end mult-filaments. It was too soft for my preference, but definitely easy on the arm.

Listen to this guy.

lstewart
11-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Several recommended soft poly's arriving today, so will string one or two over the weekend and check them out. So many choices!

mawashi
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow, now the question is what to string some of these choices at. Sounds like some, if not most, should be strung close to normal tensions for synthetic or multi. Sounds like it I string them too loose I might not get a good idea of their control, since alot of these are listed as lively and powerful. I've got 6 of these soft poly suggestions on the way. Probably will test them as hybrids, matched with synthetic or multi. Only have 2 Becker London frames at this time, so will take some time to check all these out unless I am restringing every couple of days. Looking forward to testing these options. Right now am hitting Babolat Addiction 16g multi in the mains at 60lbs, and Solinco Tour Bite 18g poly in the crosses at 54lbs. Felt good for a couple of days, but strings have loosened up a little and the multi has become too lively. Still get good spin from the poly and the strokes are dropping as you would expect with spin, but just don't like that extra jumpy power that multi can generate. Feel like I am hitting the ball 700mph... just too much power!

If you're going to go full copoly it's always a good idea to change one thing at a time, stick to your regular tension n then go on from there.

mawashi

radigan
11-19-2010, 04:59 PM
It may not be a true full poly but I really like the new Technifibre X-Code. I tried it in both 16 and 17 ga but prefer the 17ga. Take a look at it. Definately soft and so far easy on the arm. I am on my second set.

The Big Kahuna
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Softest Poly tested:
Babolat Pro Hurricane 18 Polyester 1.21 187 22.29
Technifibre Promix 17 Polyester 1.27 199 13.72 - Our favorite co-poly
Head Sonic Pro 17 Polyester 1.23 199 23.09
Pacific Poly Power 18 Polyester 1.09 201 21.17
Luxilon Adrenaline 1.25 Polyester 1.23 261 19.40

The first number is the string gauge, second is stiffness index and third tension loss. Promix is the first co-poly made like a multi, plays and feels great. It also holds tension much better than all other soft poly strings.

Reference guide: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/01/string_selector_2010.html

The softest poly's according to TW:

Polyfibre Poly Hightec 18 123.4 - good choice for hybriding
Wilson Enduro Tour 18 124.6
IsoSpeed Pulse 17 124.6
Head Sonic Pro 16 125.2
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 17 125.2
Polyfibre Cobra 17/1.20 125.2
Polyfibre TCS Rapid 16L/1.25 125.7

use this link:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php

mozzer
11-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Just ordered a set of Polyfibre TCS which is supposed to be extremely soft, anyone had some experiences? Will post mine after i have used it!

JackB1
11-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Just ordered a set of Polyfibre TCS which is supposed to be extremely soft, anyone had some experiences? Will post mine after i have used it!

I can't imagine any copoly softer feeling than TCS. My only issue with it was that it was too low powered for me, but most polys and copolys are low powered in general.

There was also a comment above about a certain copoly being as soft as some high end multifilaments and I believe this to be totally false. IMO, No copoly can come close to the softness of a multi. The softest coppoly is still way harsher than the stiffest multi.

bad_call
11-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I can't imagine any copoly softer feeling than TCS. My only issue with it was that it was too low powered for me, but most polys and copolys are low powered in general.

There was also a comment above about a certain copoly being as soft as some high end multifilaments and I believe this to be totally false. IMO, No copoly can come close to the softness of a multi. The softest coppoly is still way harsher than the stiffest multi.

tension maintenance and durability not so good for TCS. here's a TW review.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=350367&highlight=polyfibre

Don't Let It Bounce
12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm unable to find a published stiffness rating for any gauge of Volkl Cyclone. Does anyone here know of one?

EDIT: Whoops... TW itself has Cyclone 16 on the String Performance Database: for fast swing speed, 232 @ 62 lb, 197 @ 51 lb, and 170 @ 40 lb.– not especially soft. Anyone know about the thinner gauges?