PDA

View Full Version : Tough draws in tournaments.

jakemcclain32
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
128 players in my 3.0 league, and it all starts tonight.

I have a really really tough draw. First guy I play was 6-1 this year, and if I beat him, the next guy is 7-0. If I'm going to win this tournament, I'll be earning it, haha.

Anyone else here been in tournaments and fallen into a tough draw?

obtn
11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I had to play the 3 seed once in a 128 man draw in the second round. I almost beat him though, could've gone either way. The way I see it, is a lot of the top seeds just had easy divisions, so your odds are better than you might think. :)

jakemcclain32
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree, and I'm playing my best tennis right now, so I do like my odds.

But I know the higher seeds have a couple cupcakes, so I do know I'll be seeing them in the third round at least

BashTheMashIsBack
11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
10 chars. s. s.

coloskier
11-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Don't feel too bad. I faced the #1 seed in the 1st round in my first three tourneys this summer. Managed to get 1 win, so I'm not too unhappy.

robert
11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Seeded players don't mean much in NTRP tournament.

I beat every seeded players in my 15 NTRP tournaments when I wasn't seeded.

I got an actual tough draw recently in my Open tour. 1st round local top junior. 2nd round USC #3 singles player.

jakemcclain32
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I lost 7-6 6-1. I was down 5-0 and 15-40 in the first set and hustled my way back to a tiebreak. Second set, my game went to hell.

Not happy I lost, but I played my guts out and played a superior player. I realize I'm a step away from moving up(need more winners), and it's back to the drawing board.

goober
11-17-2010, 05:35 AM

I got an actual tough draw recently in my Open tour. 1st round local top junior. 2nd round USC #3 singles player.

Hmm you were playing 3.0 in 2009 and now you beat a top local junior and played the #3 singles player at USC one year later? Sure...

obtn
11-17-2010, 05:36 AM
I lost 7-6 6-1. I was down 5-0 and 15-40 in the first set and hustled my way back to a tiebreak. Second set, my game went to hell.

Not happy I lost, but I played my guts out and played a superior player. I realize I'm a step away from moving up(need more winners), and it's back to the drawing board.

Haha, just looked up the playoff draw for my league, and I think I know who you are now. :P

This is for Ultimate Tennis, no? I am in your same league, finished the season tied for 3rd overall in the league, but had to opt out of the playoffs since I will be out of town all next week.

Anyhow, sounds like you gave him a run for his money, not bad at all! :)

JoelDali
11-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Hmm you were playing 3.0 in 2009 and now you beat a top local junior and played the #3 singles player at USC one year later? Sure...

http://melanieoudin.biz/files/melanie%20oudin%20believe.jpg

jdubbs
11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I play a tournament this weekend and got the #1 seed. But all it means is I'm going to be really aggressive and go for shots, because what do i have to lose?

jhick
11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not following...where does he state that he played in 3.0 NTRP tournaments?

T1000
11-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Last tournament I played I had to go through an unseeded, 2nd seed, 5th seed, 3rd seed, and then lost to the first seed in the finals. I guess that's a tough draw, not my worst though

jdubbs
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Love your tagline ha ha.

What was the key to your success in the tourmanent? Mental toughness, fitness...what?

T1000
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Love your tagline ha ha.

What was the key to your success in the tourmanent? Mental toughness, fitness...what?

I won because I was better than them. Mental toughness is not really one of my strengths, more like a weakness haha but it was good for this tournament which really helped me to play well. I've also been lifting a lot lately so my strength, speed, and fitness were a lot better than they used to me and I was able to grind out points easier without getting tired. I also played a lot of serve and volley and tried to move forward a lot. My best shots are my serve and volleys and I was trying to hit them a lot. I also played a lot to his backhand and forced errors/short balls by hitting deep with spin. I lost the final only because I ran out of gas, had a long semi and had to play the final right away because I had a train to catch to go back to school.

Jim A
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
if you play enough tournaments you will be seeded...at the NTRP level don't worry about seeds if you don't know the player..

I played/won 3 tournaments last year, 10 matches total.My toughest match was a Final against another unseeded player who didn't play a lot of tournaments either.

Even this year I played 2 tournaments @ 3.5, in the first the guy who I lost to in the semi's is typically seeded and was the worst out of the 3 that day. In the next none of the top seeded players made it to the final.

robert
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Who said that I played 3.0 in 2009?

jakemcclain32
11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Haha, just looked up the playoff draw for my league, and I think I know who you are now. :P

This is for Ultimate Tennis, no? I am in your same league, finished the season tied for 3rd overall in the league, but had to opt out of the playoffs since I will be out of town all next week.

Anyhow, sounds like you gave him a run for his money, not bad at all! :)

I did, but I think I used everything in my tank to fight back. Disappointing because I like being one of those guys that can wear people out, and not tire.

Last night was something that probably needed to happen. I'm like one step away from really getting good, but I still have weaknesses, primarily not hitting enough winners. Ahhh well, before the league, I hadn't played in 14 months, and I end up 5-2 for the league, and 10-5 overall for the year so far, and I hadn't lost in about 2.5 months overall, so not a bad start for a first time in league play.

goober
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Who said that I played 3.0 in 2009?

Who said? YOU SAID!

Posted 10-20-2009

I am 3.0. My partner is 4.0. So we plan to play 7.0 Doubles touraments.
It means that we may face most of 3.5+3.5 players. If we got many wins in Doubles touraments, would I get bumped to 3.5?

posted 9-27-2009

Sorry for the confusion. I played three 3.0 Adult League for this year. Haven't played 7.0 Mixed Doubles League and 7.0 Mens Double Touranment yet. And my current rating is still 3.0.
Sounds like the Mixed Double league isn't an issue. How big is the impact of my 7.0 Mens' Double Touranment results to my the end of year rating?

goober
11-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Here pick one of these excuses:

1. My 3.0 brother and I share the same computer, he was just posting some stuff last year.

2. I was actually 4.5 playing 3.0. I was sandbagging big time.

3. Someone hacked my account and is posting stuff to make me look like a low level tennis player. Dang those hackers.

4. I was just asking a theoretical question about NTRP, not really MY ACTUAL NTRP rating. I brought up 3.0 just as an example. Even though I said I was in a 3.0 league twice, I really wasn't referring to myself.

5. Ok you got me- the top junior I played was only 9 years old and USC is not University of Southern California but actually the Universal academy for Special needs Children.

Ajtat411
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
^Damn! haha

dizzlmcwizzl
11-17-2010, 07:08 PM

1. My 3.0 brother and I share the same computer, he was just posting some stuff last year.

3. Someone hacked my account and is posting stuff to make me look like a low level tennis player. Dang those hackers.

4. I was just asking a theoretical question about NTRP, not really MY ACTUAL NTRP rating. I brought up 3.0 just as an example. Even though I said I was in a 3.0 league twice, I really wasn't referring to myself.

5. Ok you got me- the top junior I played was only 9 years old and USC is not University of Southern California but actually the Universal academy for Special needs Children.

This is when the forum gets really good!

LuckyR
11-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Owned.

Good one.

jdubbs
11-18-2010, 06:01 AM

Damn dude, you beat every seeded player in 15 tourneys? Didn't you feel bad about playing at 3.0? If i played at 3.0 I guarantee I'd have multiple titles by now. Just spin in second serves and keep the ball in play lol.
How'd you do in the open tournament?

jdubbs
11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Damn dude, you beat every seeded player in 15 tourneys? Didn't you feel bad about playing at 3.0? If i played at 3.0 I guarantee I'd have multiple titles by now. Just spin in second serves and keep the ball in play lol.
How'd you do in the open tournament?

So i played a tournament this weekend, and I heard the guy in the court next to me going: " You got a kick serve? You're 3.0 but you got a kick serve? Bull___"

So I watched in between games and sure enough the guy had a better serve than I do -and I play 4.0.

I'd be embarrassed to show up and destroy a 3.0 who's still learning the game, but I guess that's the way it goes.

But on the other hand, I played a legit 4.0, so not everyone games the system.

Sandwichman
11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Yup, one time I went more than four months and five tournaments without playing two of the top three seeds in some STA level 2/3's I went to. Though one time I did beat the top two seeds :P

Sandwichman
11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
First, it was 2 and 1 back to back. Then, it was 3 and 1 with one match in between, then, it was 1 and 2 a few matches later, then 2 and 3 back to back, and finally 1 and 2 again.

SweetH2O
12-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Since this thread started out being about Ultimate/K-Swiss league playoffs, I'll post my story here.

I've made it to the Sweet Sixteen in my 128 player league playoff, which I'm pretty happy about. But if you believe the seedings are accurate, my draw really opened up for me. I've played the 84th, 109th and 116th seeds so far. Each of them has beaten division champs this season though so they are good players in their own right.

Just goes to show you that you can't look too far ahead in an NTRP based tournament because really anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

ibeeskeef
12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
So i played a tournament this weekend, and I heard the guy in the court next to me going: " You got a kick serve? You're 3.0 but you got a kick serve? Bull___"

So I watched in between games and sure enough the guy had a better serve than I do -and I play 4.0.

I'd be embarrassed to show up and destroy a 3.0 who's still learning the game, but I guess that's the way it goes.

But on the other hand, I played a legit 4.0, so not everyone games the system.

A 3.5 buddy of mine played 6.5 combo against a 4.0/2.5 combination this season. The 2.5 was serving and volleying better than me and I am a 4.5. Needless to say this guy got DQ'd very quickly.

gunnd5000
12-02-2010, 06:20 AM

awch u just mauled his short talk tennis career!

gunnd5000
12-02-2010, 06:33 AM
meh not that bad played a round robin tournament with a similar format to the wtfs and my group was 1st and 3rd seeds plus me and another guy. finished top of my group won all my matches, next played the 2nd seed who was runner upin the other group, won that then lost to the 1st seed after beating him the day before. I was not pleased.

Just your luck mate but everyone in that tournament I played was about the same level.

When you first see a draw do you look at records and seeding? I dont bother.

another example is when i was 13 or 14 i played a mens quali event and got the first seed in the first round. I had beat his younger brother in the Quarter finals of the junior event a couple days before in a cclose match and i was not particularly confident. The match lasted about an hour against the older brother and I won 6-2 6-2. 3 hours later I went to play the next round to qualify for the main draw against another unseeded player and I lost 6-0 6-2 despite being expected to win.

In most tournaments the ability level is about the same for most players the gap is never that big so dont rule yourself out of matches before you step on court!

Sherlock
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I think in everything except pros ranked 1000 and up and highest level junior rankings, the rankings/ratings only tell you who is the best of who plays the most. They are a mixture of playing enough and winning enough. There are guys ranked in the top 10 of our section who have losing records, but they play enough to make some semis and accumulate a little bit of points here and there. The same thing applies even for pros in the 1000s who play qualifiers for futures. There are plenty of good players out there (like TonLars) who are not interested in paying out loads of money to try and get a few ATP points, but could probably beat many of the players ranked in the 1000s.