PDA

View Full Version : RPM ignorance is my down fall...

nvottennis
11-16-2010, 05:10 PM
So, previously trying to ignore buying the strings so that I wouldnt be another around my area who fell into the "hype", im curious now to see if its really worth it. Anyways, I'm planning on hybriding it with nat gut, however, I dont want a string set up that I have to cut out every few hours. Does RPM last long before dieing? Also, what tension do you recommend? I usually string up low 60's for all strings regardless if poly or multi (which im going to have to change).

WarrenT
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
I found RPM to be a pretty decent poly. It's distinguishing characteristics being it's softer, more comfortable & more powerful than your average poly. It also provides a minor spin production boost. But is it what all the "hype" was about, I didn't think so. I think for it's price range, there are many better alternatives. Both times I used it RPM lasted me about 7 hours before breaking and there was a moderate tension drop so I can't vouch if it's a long lasting poly or not. RPM is definitely not a stiff poly so if you're used to stringing low 60s for polys, you should be fine stringing it as you usually do.

Gene1994
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
What's your definition of lasting long?

For me, RPM played good for about 1 week of playing 2 hours every day. That's long enough for me.

thebuffman
11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
OP definitely do not waste expensive gut as a cross with poly. you will be cutting the gut out much too soon. you are best served using a syn gut as a cross with poly if you do not want to go full bed poly.

brownbearfalling
11-17-2010, 04:04 AM
^^^ Agreed.

You shouldn't be worried about the durability of Rpm if you are hybriding it with gut (doesn't matter mains or crosses).

As for Rpm full bed, it's a soft poly so as soft polys go, they don't hold tension as well as stiffer polys.

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 04:08 AM
how do you guys care about if your string feels dead or not.
i played with a 1 year old pht+phb hybrid job... all was good

nvottennis
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Hmm, what multi should I hybrid it with max spin? I have some kgut and livewire, but i can buy some different brands. Ive tried x-1, but it wasnt exactly what i wanted and i do have gosen syn gut. My ultimate goal is spin and feel.

nvottennis
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
how do you guys care about if your string feels dead or not.
i played with a 1 year old pht+phb hybrid job... all was good

If you cant differentiate dead or alive polys, go play some more tennis :D
its the best way to learn

WarrenT
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM

My thoughts exactly!

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 04:18 PM

rofl i cant differentiate if a poly is dead or alive. it doesnt really bother me, i still play well with it. but i guess its good in a way not knowing if its dead or not because it saves me money because there is no need for new strings every now and than.

i guess i can tell a poly is dead when i have being using it for a year w/o breaking .. :D

thebuffman
11-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Hmm, what multi should I hybrid it with max spin? I have some kgut and livewire, but i can buy some different brands. Ive tried x-1, but it wasnt exactly what i wanted and i do have gosen syn gut. My ultimate goal is spin and feel.
a poly main / multi cross can be expensive as well. this is why i really advocate a nice synthetic gut. most of these poly's will become dead after 10 hours of play. would you really want to hybrid that with $16 x-1 biphase? especially when you can get the same softness and pop from a great $3 syn gut like og sheep.

whomad15
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
rofl i cant differentiate if a poly is dead or alive. it doesnt really bother me, i still play well with it. but i guess its good in a way not knowing if its dead or not because it saves me money because there is no need for new strings every now and than.

i guess i can tell a poly is dead when i have being using it for a year w/o breaking .. :D

generally a dead poly will just be... dead... less of everything

ever play a stringed instrument with old strings on it? theres no feeling in old/dead strings

kevoT
11-18-2010, 07:13 AM
So, previously trying to ignore buying the strings so that I wouldnt be another around my area who fell into the "hype", im curious now to see if its really worth it. Anyways, I'm planning on hybriding it with nat gut, however, I dont want a string set up that I have to cut out every few hours. Does RPM last long before dieing? Also, what tension do you recommend? I usually string up low 60's for all strings regardless if poly or multi (which im going to have to change).

Nice and soft :) spin preduction is pretty good but you obviously need to do the work to get it. It's also fairly powerful so you'll have to be a player that hits with spin, anyway. It does have a tendency to loose tension quickly but it then levels out (IMO).

kevoT
11-18-2010, 07:14 AM

And you call yourself 'freshtennis' shame on you! :)

pheonix6579
11-18-2010, 07:41 AM
+1 for the Gosen OG, you can find other cheap multis, however you cant really beat $3-4 a set for the Gosen.

pvaudio
11-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I noticed how no one mentioned that it costs $17 when polys costing half as much play better or at least the same.

Fedace
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM

In my experience, this string dies fairly quick like 6-8 hours or so. so i would not hybrid this with gut. There are many synthetics that are cheat and nice. why gut. ?

nvottennis
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
In my experience, this string dies fairly quick like 6-8 hours or so. so i would not hybrid this with gut. There are many synthetics that are cheat and nice. why gut. ?

I want the ultimate level of feel and spin. Generally, I havent found much spin generated from a multi, so I couldnt imagine what would happen if I hybrid it with a poly. However, I did try the pht/vs hybrid with pht mains... it wasnt that spin producing. Also, I noticed kiteboard uses vs and alu. if alu is known to die so quickly, why keep paying and replacing? THere has to be something worth the cost, which is what im looking for in the rpm/vs hybrid

pvaudio
11-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I want the ultimate level of feel and spin. Generally, I havent found much spin generated from a multi, so I couldnt imagine what would happen if I hybrid it with a poly. However, I did try the pht/vs hybrid with pht mains... it wasnt that spin producing. Also, I noticed kiteboard uses vs and alu. if alu is known to die so quickly, why keep paying and replacing? THere has to be something worth the cost, which is what im looking for in the rpm/vs hybridI love spin strings just as much as the next guy, but honestly, your technique is far more of a factor than anything. If you aren't getting much spin with any of these setups, then you're probably not using a spin generating stroke.

Fedace
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I want the ultimate level of feel and spin. Generally, I havent found much spin generated from a multi, so I couldnt imagine what would happen if I hybrid it with a poly. However, I did try the pht/vs hybrid with pht mains... it wasnt that spin producing. Also, I noticed kiteboard uses vs and alu. if alu is known to die so quickly, why keep paying and replacing? THere has to be something worth the cost, which is what im looking for in the rpm/vs hybrid

Nat Gut + Poly setup is Really nice, i agree. but i didn't think it was worth keep replacing the poly cause it goes flat. and when i switched to Multil like X-1 biphase, difference wasn't that great. Sure Nat gut gives you better Feel but then it is $20 more expensive.

courtking
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

I used to play with VSGut main & ALU Power Rought cross.. after reading the hype up of RPM I tried replace it with ALU.. strung it at 44lb, vsgut 48lb on my kps88.. It is not even half as good as Alu power rough.. not much power, spin .. so don't do it.. I cut it out after a few days.. waste half set of my vsgut..