PDA

View Full Version : YT PP - what are your fave strings?...

Ross K
11-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Only tried RPM Blast thus far. Am about to restring with Sonic Pro. Think I'll come down to maybe 50 lbs. Really want to find a tad more oomph and heaviness of shot, and maximum topspin assistance is a must.

So what are YTPP users favorite strings? What do ppl think has worked best for them.

TIA,

R.

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 01:55 AM
luxilon big banger original. most atp players who use prestige use it i think .. :/
correct me if im wrong

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-17-2010, 02:11 AM
luxilon big banger original. most atp players who use prestige use it i think .. :/
correct me if im wrong

Yeh most do, but that's because they grew up playing with it. I think Luxilon BB alu power plays much better

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 02:13 AM
Yeh most do, but that's because they grew up playing with it. I think Luxilon BB alu power plays much better

haha yeah probably. but i like my original the way it is .. i kinda changed my forehand so its better and im more confident with it because its got additional spin than from the last time we played haha, hoepfully i can win this time. otherwise the rebel comes out !

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-17-2010, 02:16 AM
haha yeah probably. but i like my original the way it is .. i kinda changed my forehand so its better and im more confident with it because its got additional spin than from the last time we played haha, hoepfully i can win this time. otherwise the rebel comes out !

You need to throw that "stiff" thing out.

Yeh i just thing BB Alu Power is more suited to the modern game.

freshtennis
11-17-2010, 02:19 AM
You need to throw that "stiff" thing out.

Yeh i just thing BB Alu Power is more suited to the modern game.

haha fair call than. bbo is still good :)

fantom
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Genesis Black Magic at 58 lbs (17 guage)

ClubHoUno
11-17-2010, 03:42 AM
I use VS Team mains and Alu Rough crosses. Break Them after 8-10 hours. Use a couple of stringsavers after 6 hours of usage.

Thisted is my favorite setup and I never play with other setups than this unless it rains heavily, in that case I use X-One instead of VS Team in the mains.

bad_call
11-17-2010, 05:03 AM
^^Club - u posted that u quit. u back to playing ?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5164293&postcount=14

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5167550&postcount=20

ClubHoUno
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
^^Club - u posted that u quit. u back to playing ?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5164293&postcount=14

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5167550&postcount=20

I almost quit - but in the last minute decided to get extra treatment and will fight and try fo give it 6 weeks and see if I will see an improvement in my knees condition.

drakulie
11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Black Magic 17g at 60 lbs.

Ross K
11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Cheers guys ^^^

Now can anyone please tell me what they think of multis in the YTPP?... a no-no?... some work really well in it?... any thoughts here most welcome.

Secondly, I know it's all personal and subjective, but do ppl think 50lbs would just be too low on a poly?... I do usually go to about 50 lbs with other frames these days...

TIA,

R.

Ross K
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Cheers guys ^^^

Now can anyone please tell me what they think of multis in the YTPP?... a no-no?... some work really well in it?... any thoughts here most welcome.

Secondly, I know it's all personal and subjective, but do ppl think 50lbs would just be too low on a poly?... I do usually go to about 50 lbs with other frames these days...

TIA,

R.

BTW I mean full bed with the multi not a hybrid.

R.

Lex
11-18-2010, 03:38 AM
I am curious about a full multiple setup too. I'm thinking about trying alpha gut 2000.

EDIT_____-----____

I just strung up a full bed of Alpha Gut 2000 in 17g at 52#. I'll have drills on Sat morning with it and play 2-3 sets on Sun.

I'll report back!!!!

Marcus
11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
try Volkyl cyclone mains & alu crosses !

Spin central with decent pop !!

Ross K
11-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Cheers guys ^^^

TIA,

R.

Thought I'd try 1 time more.

slice bh compliment
11-19-2010, 03:13 AM
VS Gut with either Hurricane, RPM BLast or Pacific Poly.
But I use that mix on just about all my sticks.

Full disclosure: I only have one YT Prestige. I wish it were a Dunlop 200 or a Pure Storm Ltd, to be honest.

T1000
11-19-2010, 04:28 AM
I used a full bed of Kirschbaum Touch Multifibre twice and didn't like it. I didn't feel like I got any extra feel or pop. I also lost spin and control. It just didn't match with me, much prefer full beds of poly in this frame. And I also broke both sets in 2 hours so it wasn't worth it to try again.

The Big Kahuna
11-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I have tested a full range of multis and polys on my YT PP the last 4-5 months.

Of the multis, X-One Bi-Phase, Tourna Quasi Gut, and Mantis Comfort stand out. That said, the best play came when combined with a nice soft Co-Poly in the mains strung low in a hybrid. I tested dozens of combinations using the three multis noted above at 46# in the mains and 50# in the crosses. At this tension, the racquet showed the best aspects of control, power, and comfort when using a good co-poly string in the mains. I had far more control and bite on my balls in the hybrid then with a full bed of multi - which I have alwats favored in the past. Some of the best polys to hybrid with this racquet were:

Kirshbaum Helix 17
Volkl Cyclone 17
Technifibre Duramix HD 17 (for those you like a softer string bed)

My favorite, however, ended up being the Signum Pro Torando 17 in the mains with Mantis Comfort in the crosses. It was the best blend of spin, power, and comfort (Tornado is rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - the top four are all gut - and their current top rated Poly). Compares to TF Black Code. Lively and Explosive. Add the Mantis Comfort and is was an great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME!

My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Compares well to, but provides a bit better feel and spin than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

I am happy to share reports on any and all of the polys / multi combos tested. I tried:

Tecnifibre Black Code 18 String
Tecnifibre Promix 17 String
Technifibre Duramix HD 17 (replaces Promix)
Solinco Revolution 18 (1.16) String
Solinco Barb Wire 16L String
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough String 17
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 18/1.10 String
Topspin Cyber Blue String 17L (1.20) Gauge
Kirschbaum Helix 17 (1.25) String
Polyfibre Hexablade 17L (1.18) String
Signum Pro Poly-Plasma 17L (1.18)
Tecnifibre X-Code 17 String (poly-mix - use full bed)
MSV Focus HEX 17 and 18
Volkl Cyclone 17 and 18
Babolat RPM Blast 16 and 17
Signum Pro Tornado 17 and 18

Hopefully, this will help you and save you the $500. in string I ran through to find these results for the Head Youtek Prestige Pro. Of course, in the end, they are all subjective. :)

Gene1994
11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Out of everything I've tried in the prestige, I liked Proline II 17g and Alu Rough the most.

Ross K
11-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Cheers everybody^^^

Of the multis, X-One Bi-Phase, Tourna Quasi Gut, and Mantis Comfort stand out. That said, the best play came when combined with a nice soft Co-Poly in the mains strung low in a hybrid. I tested dozens of combinations using the three multis noted above at 46# in the mains and 50# in the crosses. At this tension, the racquet showed the best aspects of control, power, and comfort when using a good co-poly string in the mains. I had far more control and bite on my balls in the hybrid then with a full bed of multi - which I have alwats favored in the past. Some of the best polys to hybrid with this racquet were:

Kirshbaum Helix 17
Volkl Cyclone 17

My favorite, however, ended up being the Signum Pro Torando 17 in the mains with Mantis Comfort in the crosses. It was the best blend of spin, power, and comfort (Tornado is rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - the top four are all gut - and their current top rated Poly). Compares to TF Black Code. Lively and Explosive. Add the Mantis Comfort and is was an great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME!

My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Compares well to, but provides a bit better feel and spin than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

I am happy to share reports on any and all of the polys / multi combos tested. I tried:

MSV Focus HEX 17 and 18
Volkl Cyclone 17 and 18

Hopefully, this will help you and save you the $500. in string I ran through to find these results for the Head Youtek Prestige Pro. Of course, in the end, they are all subjective. :)

Thanks Kahuna. Very informative. I confess to already being a fan of Tornado (blew me away when I played it in a Prestige mid a while back.) I think I'd definitely like to check out a poly/multi hybrid sometime.

Qsn if I may though... What do you think you get from such hybrids that is missing from a full poly job?

Thx,

R.

slice it
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Im intrigued about tornado now!

Im surprised i haven't heard it been talked about as much

mawashi
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
yeah but at $176 a reel its more than 2x the price of msv hex or genesis bm or hexonic.

Heck typhoon's a bargain at $118.

Unless you're a competition player, I don't see any reason why some cheaper strings won't be just as good.

mawashi

slice it
11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Well I be playing varsity/college tennis in the near future which makes me wonder:

I really want to maximize my ytpp's potential and get a setup that is good and start playing with it a lot to get the most comfortable....

Is there a big difference between some of the more popular co-polys and strings like these?

NLBwell
11-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, I use Microgel Prestige Pro, so not exactly the same, the Microgel is somewhat flexier. However, for spin - hitting those poly shots that aren't possible with multis - I haven't found anything like full bed of Lux alu spin or alu rough. Similar spin and control between the two, slightly different feel. For maximizing potential without regard to cost, string longevity, comfort (though they are pretty comfortable), etc. this seems to be the way to go.
I also like the Kirsh Helix - better consistency over time, temperature, etc. - I feel like I know what the response will be.
I've used both with AlphaGut 2000 as a cross. It is a more comfortable stringbed (especially the Helix) and the performance is similar to the full poly bed except slightly more power and slightly less spin, though I don't think it results in any difference in winning or losing matches.

55 to 57 lbs -- 17g

Ross K
11-19-2010, 11:20 PM
YTPP string gurus,:grin:

Actually, I have to say I'm mainly looking for added power and spin... both are very important to me, and both have been slightly lacking since I started hitting with the YTPP, though tension plays a part here and I'll be stringing lower in future.

These factors apart, I'm VERY impressed with this racket thus far :) ... beautiful balance and weighting... addictive 'whippiness'... quality build... the frame's great imo, and the only real issue is whether I'm good enough to use it.:wink:

Anyhow, about to check out Sonic Pro I think, though I've also recently got some Alu Power, Andrenaline, Weisscannon S/String, Solinco Tour Bite, Signum Hypierion, Topspin Cyberflash... btw, any of those a good match in the YTPP in ppl's opinions?

Keep your string recommendations coming - I'm taking notes!

Cheers,

R.

onkystomper
11-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Hey Ross.. I have been using the YTPP & before that the MGPP.. I went through a lot of setups.. I used SilverString a lot. It had great bite and control and would still be using it but I switched over to the black star 5 edge.. it has all the same aspects of the silver string but with some extra pop..

If you are only looking for extra power silver string may not be the wat to go as it is not overly powerful.

mawashi
11-20-2010, 05:20 AM
YTPP string gurus,:grin:

Actually, I have to say I'm mainly looking for added power and spin... both are very important to me, and both have been slightly lacking since I started hitting with the YTPP, though tension plays a part here and I'll be stringing lower in future.

These factors apart, I'm VERY impressed with this racket thus far :) ... beautiful balance and weighting... addictive 'whippiness'... quality build... the frame's great imo, and the only real issue is whether I'm good enough to use it.:wink:

Anyhow, about to check out Sonic Pro I think, though I've also recently got some Alu Power, Andrenaline, Weisscannon S/String, Solinco Tour Bite, Signum Hypierion, Topspin Cyberflash... btw, any of those a good match in the YTPP in ppl's opinions?

Keep your string recommendations coming - I'm taking notes!

Cheers,

R.

Holy crap... if you have that many strings why don't you post a review when you're done...

mawashi

bad_call
11-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Holy crap... if you have that many strings why don't you post a review when you're done...

mawashi

agreed...tho dialing in the "right" tension might take a bit.

polyfibre1
11-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Hey guys,
You all have to try Polyfibre Black Venom ! It's the best new comer string of 2010 / 2011 woith Babolat RPM Blast ! So, everyone have to try it ! You can buy in shops and on internet: www.polyfibre.de ! I advice you !:)

slice it
11-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Hey guys,
You all have to try Polyfibre Black Venom ! It's the best new comer string of 2010 / 2011 woith Babolat RPM Blast ! So, everyone have to try it ! You can buy in shops and on internet: www.polyfibre.de ! I advice you !:)

hah

"WHO DO YOU WORK FOR" - James Bond

The Big Kahuna
11-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I read somewhere on the Technifibre website that they recommend a multifilament string for their lighter racquets - which need more power and carry as they lack heft - and a poly or poly hybrid on their heavier racquets to impact control as they already are a bit more stable - like the 12 oz Head YPP. I started looking a various hybrid combinations for the same reason with the YPP - a full bed of multi just had to much "tampoline" effect off this racquet and I needed to dampen the power with using it's heft and stability to my advantage by integrating a string with a bit more "bite" on the ball. It just took a while to find some hybrids that both increased control and spin and did not notably decrease comfort and feel. Some of the best were:

Mains: 46/50 MSV Focus Hex 17 (1.23) Black / Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Power: A-
Control: B+
Feel: B+
Comfort: B+
Spin: A-
Tension Stability: B
OVERALL: A-
Focus - HEX is an ultra durable co-polyester monofilament string in hexagonal profile. It offers great power and added ball bite, enhanced spin and excellent control. Highly rated on Stringforum.net. Colours: white, natural, gold, yellow, sky blue, red, silver and black. Focus-Hex is a great string for the price. Great control, spin, and durability. It's not the softest string, occasionally after using it for a while I need to switch to a softer string or hybrid it with a syn gut. Signum Pro Torando has similar playing characteristics with a softer feel. comfortable, solid, crispy, precise - similar to Black Code without the same tension stability (but at half the price).

Mains: 46/50 - Technifibre Duramix HD 17 mains w/ TF X-One Biphase 17g in the Crosses
Power: A
Control: A
Feel: A-
Comfort: A-
Tension Stability:
OVERALL: A
Starting RA 55 (10/31/10) / RA 43 after 4 hrs.
Initially, felt very crisp and made a loud thwack! on groundstrokes - almost felt like a full bed of TF X-Code. Good spin and power. A bit less comfortable and less feel than the Quasi Gut test string - but a bit more pop. After 2 hours still felt crisp, but softer and more playable. Nice combo.

Mains: 50/50 - Technifibre X-Code 17 mains & crosses (full bed)
Power: B+
Control: A-
Feel: B+
Spin: B+
Tension Stability:
OVERALL: B+
Starting RA 55 (10/31/10)
Solid core of poly wrapped in a black multi sleeve. Played like stiff multifilament. Good comfort, feel, control and spin - but not outstanding on any front. Played very crisp, but still reasonably comfortable. String felt like it might not last that long as outer coating is prone to peeling. Felt a bit like a Duramix Hybrid with X-one Biphase, but without the tension stability.

Mains: 46/50 Polyfibre Hexablade 17L (1.18) / Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Power: A
Feel: B
Comfort: B
Spin: A
Tension Stability: C
This ethylene string has a characteristic, hexagonal profile which provides extra grip on the ball‘s felt, producing optimum spin. A positive side-effect of this surface structure is that the string notches quickly, preventing slippage. The Polyfibre Hexablade feels slightly stiffer than other strings, but thanks to Polyfibre’s Standardized Molecular Distribution Technology (SMD) it is extremely durable and its high dynamic elasticity makes it particularly easy on the arm. Slightly "brittle" feeling, slightly "dampened". Good power and control and decent feel. I could play with this string. Starting RA 47 / after 2 hrs RA 35(!)

Mains: 46/50 Volkl Cyclone 17g / Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Power: B-
Control: B
Spin: A
Tension Stability: B
Notes: Great string for the money. Lots of bite on the ball and plays soft. Good ball pocketing and feel. Plays well at low tensions. Felt like I had a huge sweet spot at this tension (less control). Very playable.

Mains: 46/50 Tecnifibre Promix 17 String / Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Feel: A
Comfort: A+
Tension Stability:
LOVED this string! Promix is a combination of Poly bundles surrounded by multi bundles, which delivers a great combination of feel, power, durability and control. Great ball pocketing and decent spin potential. Rarely missed with this combo. Starting RA 55 / after 4 hrs RAll 44 - same after 7 hours. Replaced by DURAMIX.

Mains: 46/50 Tecnifibre Black Code 18 String/ Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Feel: A-
Tension Stability: A-
Notes: Starting RA 53 / 48 after 2 hrs / 42 after 4 hrs.
Tecnifibre Black Code is a 3rd generation polyester string with a pentagonal cross-section and a co-polyester core for ultimate durability. Functional Benefits: More FLEXIBLE - less shock on impact compared to 2nd generation polyesters. More TOLERANT - less risk of premature breakages from off center hits due to an increased sweet-spot. More SPIN - due to pentagonal structure. Excellent control, yet comfortable. Solid, yet also soft.

Mains: 46/50 Kirschbaum Helix 17 mains / Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Power: B+
Control: B+
Comfort: B
Tension Stability: B-
OVERALL: B+
Notes; tension dropped from 45 to 42 after 2 hours and dropped to 34 after 6 hours of play and began to get mushy (kicks serves lacked bite). Initially crisp, bit not harsh. Fantastic control and good pocketing. Definitely among the better ploys for 6-10 hours of play. Plays like a more expensive Cyclone.

The Big Kahuna
11-20-2010, 07:34 AM
In general 16g POLY was too firm and too harsh in the YPP and 18 gauge lacked a bit of control against big hitters with the open string pattern of the YPP. 17 guage string seems to be the ideal thickness with the 16/20 string pattern to blend power and control.

WORST strings in the YPP I tested:

RPM Blast 16g
Tourna Big Hitter Blue 17g

Best Multifilament Cross strings:

√ Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro 16 String 8.95 / no reels available
An innovative structure of high elastic multifilament and our exclusive "Power-Spin Coating" that will generate superior spin while maintaining the response and feel of natural gut. A distinctive "Pre-Stretch" method combined with double winding nylon wraps helps maintain string tension and optimizes playability. Noted: Stringforum reports that string plays well at lower tensions (51#). Pro version stiffer with more control.

√ Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 String 9.00 / 99.00 reel
MANTIS Comfort Synthetic has been specifically developed to provide a soft string with gut like feel and playability whilst the special double coating enhances durability. Thousands of micro fibres are compressed and then nano coated to provide a core with superb feel. This is covered with highly durable monofilaments before the string is coated by a special elastic resin bonding process.

√ Tourna Quasi Gut String 17 8.06 / 99.00 reel
RSI reviewed: Our playtest team found Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 impressive even for a soft nylon, giving it ratings in the top 20 in four separate categories: 5th overall for Touch/Feel, 6th overall (tie) for Playability, 7th overall (tie) for Comfort, and 11th overall (tie) for Power. Bolstering these results are the teams’ well-above-average ratings for Tourna Quasi-Gut for Control, Spin Potential, and Tension Retention. As a result, Unique Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 is tied for 16th overall out of the 140 strings we’ve playtested to date for publication. Additionally, our playtest team told us that Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 doesn’t sacrifice playability for durability or vice versa.

Lex
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I had the Alpha Gut 2000 17g in the YPP today while I did 2+ hrs of drills. It was strung at 52#.
The touch/feel was very nice but just a bit too springy on groundies.

I think Sonic Pro 17 in the mains and AG2K for the crosses will be the next experiment.

I agree with other opinions on RPM 16g. It's just too stiff/board-like in the YPP.

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I had the Alpha Gut 2000 17g in the YPP today while I did 2+ hrs of drills. It was strung at 52#.
The touch/feel was very nice but just a bit too springy on groundies.

I think Sonic Pro 17 in the mains and AG2K for the crosses will be the next experiment.

I agree with other opinions on RPM 16g. It's just too stiff/board-like in the YPP.

I tried a hybrid of Sonic Pro 16g and Prince original syn-gut 16g two months ago. I strung it at 50#. It had a soft, borderline mushy feel. It didn't excel--nor perform too poorly--in any one area. It was not a "bad" setup, but it was not positively remarkable, either. I cut it out after six or seven hours, having failed to discover what advantages it had to offer. It left me nonplussed. I was thinking, "Hmmm, okay. Next..."

Ross K
11-20-2010, 11:31 AM
mawashi,

Yes, I recently bought a load of strings off a board member (thought 'what the heck? It will save time and hassle compared to how I usually get strings')... I just need more YTPP's to test them all now!

Kahuna,

Excellent details. Thank you.

R.

bad_call
11-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Ross - if your wanting power and spin...Blue Gear 1.28 is your string.

btw - have that now in one of the MG PP.

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Thought I'd try 1 time more.
I have had a full bed of gamma Live Wire strung in my YTPP on two separate occasions. It was very comfortable. It was also trampolini only, in a way, noticeably different than how, say, a Pure Drive with its enlarged grommets, is trampolini; I felt at times disconnected from the ball on my string bed, but it was fun being able to swing big at everything without inflicting myself with pain. Gamma livewire is the only multi that I've tried.

The Big Kahuna
11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
String Poly 10% Lower than other string to obtain same effective tension. Restring about every 10-12 hours of play (about every three weeks).

Hvybrid Strings:

i) with polyester or monofilament strings, you should keep your Luxilon monofilament strings at the same tension in the mains, and install the crosses 5-10% higher. Most people prefer an increase of 5%.

ii) If you currently are playing with gut strings, multifilaments, or synthetic gut, you should keep you normal tension on the crosses with your multifilament string, and install the mains 5-10% lower with a Luxilon Monofilament. Most people prefer a 10% drop in tension.

My best set-up was:

Mains: 46/50 Signum Pro Tornado 17 (1.23) / Mantis Comfort 17g in the Crosses
Comfort: A
Tension Stability: A
Starting RA 52 / after 2 hrs RA 48
Great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added good touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado. My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

The Big Kahuna
11-20-2010, 03:26 PM
For Multifilament string - your original question - I might suggest checking these out.

MULTIFILAMENTS: Best Values

These are the price-to-performance ratio (PPR) ratings from the "forum on strings" website...

NRG2 17 - 2.08

X-1 17 - 1.93

NRG2 16 - 1.92

X-1 16 - 1.72

X-1 18 - 1.31

K Gut 16 - 0.98*

K Gut 17 - 0.74*

Xcel Power - No PPR ratings listed

slice it
11-20-2010, 04:31 PM
t.b.k-

Do you think tornado would be fine by itself?

Ross K
11-20-2010, 11:10 PM
slice,

I don't see why not. I loved it (full job) in the Pres mid. Very powerful and very spinny and... super-smooth and modern feeling... ???... sorry, very hard to describe... and of course it's completely subjective.

Everyone,

Keep your YTPP string recs coming in... this is becoming a really useful thread whereby YTPP users can check out string info etc.

R.

slice it
11-21-2010, 04:44 AM
I ordered tornado and some alu rough from TW last night

I have yet to try both.....

I will string them up with a full job

Review to come

The Big Kahuna
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I like a Hybrid set-up as it is more comfortable and I get more feel than a full poly set. Obviously, so do a lot of pros - I think more than half play with a mix of poly and multifilament strings or poly and natural gut. You get a lot more feel and it is much easier on the arm. You might also try the same hybrid set-up switch the gut or the multifilament string to the mains if you want more ball-pocketing (say, if you hit a flatter ball), like Federer does (Mains: Natural Gut at 44lbs. / Crosses: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough at 47lbs.).

Note how low Federer strings is racquets, as well. More power, more comfort, more pocketing, more feel.

Ross K
11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Cheers all ^^^

Well, for only my second string-job with the YTPP, for that oomph and spin increase, I decided to take a look at Sonic Pro @ 52lbs and the frame is at the stringers. Unfortunately I'm now fearing Sonic won't be spin-friendly enough for my tastes... :roll: .... we shall see... but I do like the sound of a few ppl's suggestions here and want to experiment a bit (though the fact I've only the 1 frame at present kind of slows everything up :( .)

R.

BTW, slice,

How did you like the Tornado?

Lex
11-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Ok, the Alpha Gut 2000 17g only lasted 3 hours. I really liked the feel!!

I put in a full bed of AG2K in 16g and don't like it.

I'll try the Sonic Pro 17g hybrid at the next opportunity.

ClubHoUno
11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
My favorite strings for the TGK 238.5 YTPP are:

VS Team 17 and Alu Rough :)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2lxxcua.jpg http://i56.tinypic.com/2pqoyet.jpg

The Big Kahuna
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Slice,

Are arm issues an problem?

If so, I would avoid full Poly sets - no matter how soft they are.

Ross K
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey YTPP users,

Have had a break from this frame for a bit, and it's not entirely due to my racketaholic tendencies this time as the frame actually got stolen by some total barstool :evil: .

Anyhow, with a new 'special' racket, new mod job, etc, I'm now coming back to seriously looking at the YTPP again - a racket that in my brief time with before, had so many great qualities and appeal to me. However, it wasn't quite firing on all cylinders, as it were, for me with RPM Blast in the mid-upper 50's. But I still want to look at full poly jobs as that's my thing (^ I do hear you Kahuna - and thanks again for your excellent insights earlier in this thread.) I'd also add there seemed before to be a very wide consensus of opinion on what polys played well in this... so... yes... I can't quite decide still.

Could ppl please recommend to me their fave full poly jobs - and say a bit about why they like it.

Big power... big spin... that would be my first 2 requirements... followed by: feel, control, string life.

TIA,

R.

BTW, I'd probably also string in the 5o-52 lbs vaccinity next time...

Ross K
01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey YTPP users,

Have had a break from this frame for a bit, and it's not entirely due to my racketaholic tendencies this time as the frame actually got stolen by some total barstool :evil: .

Anyhow, with a new 'special' racket, new mod job, etc, I'm now coming back to seriously looking at the YTPP again - a racket that in my brief time with before, had so many great qualities and appeal to me. However, it wasn't quite firing on all cylinders, as it were, for me with RPM Blast in the mid-upper 50's. But I still want to look at full poly jobs as that's my thing (^ I do hear you Kahuna - and thanks again for your excellent insights earlier in this thread.) I'd also add there seemed before to be a very wide consensus of opinion on what polys played well in this... so... yes... I can't quite decide still.

Could ppl please recommend to me their fave full poly jobs - and say a bit about why they like it.

Big power... big spin... that would be my first 2 requirements... followed by: feel, control, string life.

TIA,

R.

BTW, I'd probably also string in the 5o-52 lbs vaccinity next time...

^^^ Anyone?...

Well, I've never played it before but I'm now seriously considering the YTPP with full job of Big Hitter Rough (Blue)... seems relatively powerful and spinny and not too harsh either and doesn't die in like 2 hours.

This has slightly edged out Alu. PL2 and SPPP in my thinking.

R.

Lex
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm really liking BlackCode 17 and a nice 17g Syn cross (Mantis or Gosen). The 17g AlphaGut 2000 is nice too but seems to fray quickly.

I'm stringing these combo's at 50 or 52#'s. Seems about right for my game and tendencies.

t135
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite is amazing in the Youtek prestige pro. More spin than I think I've ever had on serves. Great power and feel. I am amazed!

Ross K
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
t135,

Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite is amazing in the Youtek prestige pro. More spin than I think I've ever had on serves. Great power and feel. I am amazed!

Would you happen to know if this Mosquito is anything at all like Weisscannon Silverstring? I only ask because I have a set of the latter. I'd be interested to hear how they compare, and if Silverstring is worth looking at in the YTPP.

Lex,

I'm stringing these combo's at 50 or 52#'s. Seems about right for my game and tendencies.

If you're talking about wanting good power and you're a b-liner - well, that's my tendencies too, and I also string @ early 50's.

R.

phnx90
01-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Alu Power, in all variations! Though I could swear that Alu Rough is just a gimmick.

Did pick up RPM Blast for a trial too, it's pretty nice, though I find it a bit too soft for my liking.

Will try Alu Power Spin next time.

As for tennis elbow, I've never had it in the many years I've been playing with full beds...

t135
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Feels totally different from silverstring to me.

TonLars
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey guys!

Am interested in this racquet. I have some stringing questions. I have tried the YPMP with full alu power. It was strung at 57 and felt too boardy for me. Perhaps I just need to get used to it, but perhaps its just not a good setup. I tried it more going eventually all the way down to 48 pounds and liked it better, however still leaving more to be desired in power and all around ease of use. I am use to using a flexpoint radical OS with full alu power at 61-62 and this feels much more powerful and comfortable.

I can see the definite potential of the prestige racquets to provide more power for serves while maintaining control on groundstrokes, but I want a setup that wont be so stiff, and therefore feeling like a wooden paddle. Would like to stay away from hybrids if possible. What full polys, or other types, of string would you recommend for someone like me, and at what tension? I am basically a 5.5-6.0 player who likes to rip forehands and hits alot of flat balls and moderate topspin. Would like a powerful setup that doesnt feel like a board when hitting returns and backhands, and can provide power on serve.

Thanks in advance!

vsbabolat
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey guys!

Am interested in this racquet. I have some stringing questions. I have tried the YPMP with full alu power. It was strung at 57 and felt too boardy for me. Perhaps I just need to get used to it, but perhaps its just not a good setup. I tried it more going eventually all the way down to 48 pounds and liked it better, however still leaving more to be desired in power and all around ease of use. I am use to using a flexpoint radical OS with full alu power at 61-62 and this feels much more powerful and comfortable.

I can see the definite potential of the prestige racquets to provide more power for serves while maintaining control on groundstrokes, but I want a setup that wont be so stiff, and therefore feeling like a wooden paddle. Would like to stay away from hybrids if possible. What full polys, or other types, of string would you recommend for someone like me, and at what tension? I am basically a 5.5-6.0 player who likes to rip forehands and hits alot of flat balls and moderate topspin. Would like a powerful setup that doesnt feel like a board when hitting returns and backhands, and can provide power on serve.

Thanks in advance!

Give the YT Prestige MP a try with HEAD Sonic Pro at 55 and work from there.

TonLars
01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Give the YT Prestige MP a try with HEAD Sonic Pro at 55 and work from there.

Thanks for the response!

Ive received YTPP's from sponsorship and so id like to find a way to play with those, should i do the same thing for the pro racquet, sonic pro at 55? Or something different?

vsbabolat
01-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the response!

Ive received YTPP's from sponsorship and so id like to find a way to play with those, should i do the same thing for the pro racquet, sonic pro at 55? Or something different?

I found the Pro to have a little livelier string bed compared to the MP when I hit with it. Sounds like that is what you are looking for. Yeah, go for the Sonic Pro at 55 which is in the middle of the range and then you can work from there up or down in tension as needed.

DeShaun
01-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the response!

If your options include using other strings than those made by Head, the string that produced the very best results with my Pres Pro--and this may surprise you--is Pro Red Code 16g (yes, 16!) at 32lbs tension. You are a borderline pro player, Ton, and I am just a 3.0, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this setup if you could get around to trying it. It really blew me away, the stiff co-poly Red Code, it just seemed to belong in, or have been meant for, this racket. It's rather difficult for me to explain (I'm still new to the game) which is why I would like to hear your ideas. I've tried Sonic Pro 16g @ 50lbs and Gamma Zo 18g @ 35lbs, in my Pres Pro; VS Touch @ 60lbs, and LiveWire as well as various syn-guts all in the mid-high 50s tension range, but none of these other setups came close to doing as superbly in the Pres Pro as the Red Code--the difference is in kind, not degree, it's not even that close, Ton...the ball bite is just game-changing. Well, anyways, these are my candid thoughts. Good Luck!

Ross K
01-21-2011, 11:17 PM
DeShaun,

Very interesting. With that kind of recommendation, I might well have to check your theory for myself. :wink: Qsn though - what does the Red Code have in the YTPP that the Black Code doesn't? I'm curious as I've just got some Black Code in and I thought the general view was it was slightly better than the Red all around... you probably disagree though, right?

TonLars,

Well, this string thing is just so subjective, and with your level being so high and me being an aging moonball hacker with a dodgey knee and racket and strings addiction problem - LOL! - I'm weary to pass on 'advice'. :lol:

What I will say is, RPM Blast didn't work for me @ 56 lbs. Just not enough juice and spin for me, a bit boardy, and it felt somehow 'dry'... I like smooth or slightly oily feeling strings (so hard to decribe this stuff!:roll: ) That said, it could also have been related to not having the frame modded up then as I do now (lead @ 12 and experimenting with grips etc has made a big difference to this racket for me.) I'm looking at SPPP at the moment, and I'm liking it a lot (btw, I previously loved Tornado in my Prestige mid and really want to check it out in the PP) I find SPPP relatively soft but still retains firmness and isn't mushy, it's powerful enough, has fairly good spin, nice bite, and is smooth (hard to define, but it just has a smooth feel to me that I like.) I'm also about to finally check out Sonic Pro in my other YTPP, mainly based on its popularity and recs from others. And basically, I've a load of strings I want to check out (Black Code, MSV Hex, and more Signum stuff, which I seem to like.) Oh, and also, I've found going lower with the full polys in the YTPP to be the way to go for me. I'm now at 52s and I'm getting closer to what I require, ie, more power!... might go to 50 lbs dead on next time.

Everyone,

Keep these recommendations coming in maties - especially on the full polys.:wink:

Best,

R.

DeShaun
01-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Yeah, most everyone thinks Black Code is better than Red Code. Having never tried Black Code, I can't give an opinion. Black Code must be fantastic to be retaining such a following though. I understand the Red is muuuch crisper than the Black. Red Code is so stiff, in fact, stringing it can be unpleasant. I suppose it has nearly equal the pop to the Black, but none of Black's elasticity; so, even at extremely low tension, Red Code has no trampoline effect. Being a crisp, slick co-poly, it holds tension well, too--all the more so in the extreme lower range. The racket and string seem to complement one another intuitively. The YTPP, when I'm hammering serves for instance, it seems to feel like I'm swinging a well balanced field hockey stick, made of a dense heavy wood. The racket feels, at once, like a cudgel and also some stainless steel, precision-oriented tool which would be used in the operating room to assist doctors performing a surgery. Whatever it is about this stick, it's suited very well to Red Code at 32lbs in my garbled opinion.

Dags
01-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Ross,

Red Code vs Black Code is a stiff vs soft poly battle. You won't find many people who like both. I'm not sure one is really more popular than the other on here, but because Black Code is a newer string it has more recent posts about it. I'd take the Red any day.

If your goal is more power, then I think you should move away from the full poly. You have to generate all of your own pace with it. That's fine if you're on the attack and like to swing your stick like a whirling dervish, but as soon as you have to make a defensive block you'll realise just how little help the strings give you.

TonLars
01-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Will try the Sonic pro at 55 and work my way from there, might also try some of the other power polys you guys suggested.

Deshaun, interested in the red code at 32! That just sounds insane as I have never used a tension like that anywhere close. But since I have no idea, only way is to try it out at some point.

ill report back soon

kiteboard
01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
You won't like it, as it will go long on you, and launch, but give good spin if you can get it in. Just tried blue gear ultra, with hexablade cross. VEry good control. Both bc and rc are great hybrid with vs team 17g mains.

t135
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite is my favorite. Does exactly what Weiss Cannon says it will do.

Alzer
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm so pleased this thread has been started! I've been using pull RPM blast in my YTPP @58lbs for a couple of weeks now and whilst I can get decent power, it requires very good timing - anything late and it goes nowhere and absolutley wrenches your arm as the racket is already stiff (IMO). I have the same setup in my MG Prestige Mid and have no such issue with arm pain on miss-timed hits.

So, I'm also after something easier on the arm which has a little extra "pop" without so much effort. Looks like the sonic pro is worth a shot.

share1law
01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
It is so subjective. Many posts on this already, everyone has a story to tell. The key is: you do not change anything if you are winning, not even your wristband.

rudester
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite is my favorite. Does exactly what Weiss Cannon says it will do.

+1 for Mosquito Bite, a poly with great touch and feel, super spin.

Ross K
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
rudester, ti135,

Now you guys are starting to get my attention re Mosquito Bite!:wink:

share1,

It is so subjective. Many posts on this already, everyone has a story to tell. The key is: you do not change anything if you are winning, not even your wristband.

Ha, ha - ROTFLMAO!!!:lol:

R.

SStrikerR
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough

Best string I've ever used.

Alzer
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Ordered 2x Wilson NXT 17 yesterday... good reviews on them even if they dont last very long. Will string one bat with nxt full bed and one with Alu power mains NXT crosses.

Looking forward to trying them out.

Ross K
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Okay. So I've now tried Blast (not really for me, I must say), Hyperion (Liked it plenty - I'm a fan of Signum stuff), and the very popular Sonic (I can see it's appeal maybe not quite my thing.) Am considering future string jobs...

Might have to use up some that Mantis Power I've now accumulated (hmm, will it work in the PP though?)... Lux Alu Power is also kind of, er, calling out to me (lots of recs for this in here earlier)... and also thinking of actually maybe looking at the hybrid option...

Which remind me - if you haven't already, it's well worth scrutinizing Big Kahuna's earlier excellent posts/reviews of strings for the YTPP in this thread... in fact, I'm going to delve in there once again right now. :)

Any new experiences/insights fellas with this racket/strings - post up your thoughts!:)

Cheers

R.

bfactor61
01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I would have to say pro line 2 would be my fav. I tried helix, but i missed the feel of pl2 in my prestige.

hey, im trying to decide what color pro line to put on my yt pp: red or black? what looks better?

what do you think of mixing them?? red in the mains and black in the cross or vise versa....

xeros
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
With rpm blast in the main which tension is better with vs touch in the crosses?24/23kgs is it good?

JT_2eighty
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's a good read.
I just finished demoing this stick... and wow, it's a heavy contender for me now in replacing my PT280.... it was strung with full X-1, and I was impressed; maneuverable yet solid, stiffer response but not harsh, easy access to spin yet no issues when flattening out... so when will the price be dropping on these? :D

I bet Mosquito Bite would be ridiculous in this stick.

backatcha
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I just finished demoing this stick... and wow, it's a heavy contender for me now in replacing my PT280.... it was strung with full X-1, and I was impressed; maneuverable yet solid, stiffer response but not harsh, easy access to spin yet no issues when flattening out... so when will the price be dropping on these? :D

Check out the thread "Diary of a Racketaholic", the discussion regarding the Prestige Pro and the various polys continues!

PS I firmly believe that ultimately a hybrid is a much better option given the lower swing weight and power of this racquet. I think it is a cycle... we all start off trying the different polys and tensions but eventually will go to a hybrid to increase the feel and power. I think you will enjoy this other thread... it is fun to listen to the ongoing adventure (honeymoon) of Ross K.

theyhatethecans
03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Gamma Asterisk spin 16 gauge on Yonex rdis100 mp @ 58. Great control and power when you need it. Like black code as a poly but get almost as much control with the asterisks and better at the net and easier on the arm.

Ross K
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

JT,

Intrigued to hear this - and not least as I know you're a Pro Tour devotee; and I, although I never used it consistently, er, don't consider I was ever quite the same again after playing with it LOL! :) and this had a major bearing on not being able to settle on a number of subsequent frames!... have to say though, the PP is the closest to the mythical 'slightly easier to use open pattern PT630' I've kind of been looking for over some years now.

Re strings/PP frames, my faves thus far are probably the Signum strings: Hyperion, SPPP and Tornado... Tour Bite, I'm a fan of too < Revolusion is therefore on my list... I'm about to look at Black Code, and I'm big-time looking forward to testing Typhoon... ones that haven't quite done it for would include Blast, Sonic Pro, and MSV is beginning to prove a bit unfathomable to me also... btw, I'm stringing lower and lower and am finding that desired power and pop and softness now with this frame.

R.

JT_2eighty
03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
JT,

Intrigued to hear this - and not least as I know you're a Pro Tour devotee; and I, although I never used it consistently, er, don't consider I was ever quite the same again after playing with it LOL! :) and this had a major bearing on not being able to settle on a number of subsequent frames!... have to say though, the PP is the closest to the mythical 'slightly easier to use open pattern PT630' I've kind of been looking for over some years now.

R.

Ahh yes, the never ending quest to fill the void of the Pro Tour. Over my 2-day excursion with the YTPP, I found myself remarking how it indeed is a slightly lighter, more maneuverable version of the PT (and I've been demoing a lot of the YT stuff lately, except Extremes). It took me no time to lock-into the PP; from serves to volleys to groundies... the touch, power, control, spin... it really delivered. In its slightly less heavy form than the PT, which I now am looking to move away from, I was really enjoying it.

Glad to see that your racquet-aholism found this frame. Whether I pull the trigger remains to be seen, I'm going to give the YTRadMP a decent look (wondering if you did and if so, thoughts?), since it sounds a lil more flexy and has room to add lead; although, my fav part of the YTPP is that it's great as it is... no need for lead, etc (IMO). Going to give the IGSpeed300 a whirl, and then I'll be ready to retire the PT? Or, at the very least, take a little break from that 12.8 oz beast. :D

Since this is the string sub-forum, I'll have to add the SP line of strings to my trials, once I get through WC and a sampling of Polystar and Polyfibre.

Did you ever try any WC strings or Tourna BHB in the YTPP??

Ross K
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Ahh yes, the never ending quest to fill the void of the Pro Tour. Over my 2-day excursion with the YTPP, I found myself remarking how it indeed is a slightly lighter, more maneuverable version of the PT (and I've been demoing a lot of the YT stuff lately, except Extremes). It took me no time to lock-into the PP; from serves to volleys to groundies... the touch, power, control, spin... it really delivered. In its slightly less heavy form than the PT, which I now am looking to move away from, I was really enjoying it.

Glad to see that your racquet-aholism found this frame. Whether I pull the trigger remains to be seen, I'm going to give the YTRadMP a decent look (wondering if you did and if so, thoughts?), since it sounds a lil more flexy and has room to add lead; although, my fav part of the YTPP is that it's great as it is... no need for lead, etc (IMO). Going to give the IGSpeed300 a whirl, and then I'll be ready to retire the PT? Or, at the very least, take a little break from that 12.8 oz beast. :D

Since this is the string sub-forum, I'll have to add the SP line of strings to my trials, once I get through WC and a sampling of Polystar and Polyfibre.

Did you ever try any WC strings or Tourna BHB in the YTPP??

Played Weisscannon Silverstring in a Rad Tour TT and BHBR in a TF V02 320 - but not in a PP. (For the record, I found WCSS a bit subtle and low-powered for my tastes; and BHBR a bit stiffer than I was expecting, although I seem to be in a minority on this... maybe more to do with the frame me thinks?)

Would definitely like to try other WC strings though (Black5Edge). Poly Energy I initially liked, but went off quite majorly - just too soft and plays awfully after a while.

BTW, Have never played YT Rad MP.

R.

SammyBoy999
03-04-2011, 02:58 PM
My demo a couple of weeks ago had some Wilson Hollowcore on it and i hated it haha

but once i bought my racquet i put some full Luxi ALUrough on it @57.
ohmann i love it.

nice pop, feel, spin. great switch from RPM imo :)

Ross K
03-07-2011, 05:12 AM

Kirshbaum Helix 17
Volkl Cyclone 17

MSV Focus HEX 17 and 18
Volkl Cyclone 17 and 18

Hey Kahuna,

Just to say I haven't forgotten this post, and despite my full poly tests, I definitely plan on taking a look at this Tornado/Mantis hybrid sometime this early summer.

R.

slice it
03-19-2011, 01:48 PM
If you had to put a string setup in the YTPP from one of these brands ( http://www.*******.com/cartr/STRINGS_PG.ASP ) which would it be?

slice it
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
sorry about the broken link,
the brands are:

Technifibre
Lux
Kirsh
Mantis
Babolat
wilson
unique
head
goosen
gamma

Ross K
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Hi YTPP users,

After a good number of months away from my YTPP/TGK PP, I went back last week and... well, as I've said elsewhere, I must need pschiatric help, what fantastic frames!

So...

Any more fave set ups or string recommendations?

I use Solinco Tour Bite 125 in my TGK. It has fantastic spin (my kick serve was really leaping about last week), great power and control. However, it's kind of my nature to experiment, and that's what I'll be doing I think in my retail PP. It's presently strung with Tornado @ 52. Will report back when I've hit with it some more.

Tell me then, what are all you PP users liking out there right now... full poly ppl, hybriders, etc, what's doing it for you?

R

Hotrocks
06-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Okay. So I've now tried Blast (not really for me, I must say), Hyperion (Liked it plenty - I'm a fan of Signum stuff), and the very popular Sonic (I can see it's appeal maybe not quite my thing.) Am considering future string jobs...

Might have to use up some that Mantis Power I've now accumulated (hmm, will it work in the PP though?)... Lux Alu Power is also kind of, er, calling out to me (lots of recs for this in here earlier)... and also thinking of actually maybe looking at the hybrid option...

Which remind me - if you haven't already, it's well worth scrutinizing Big Kahuna's earlier excellent posts/reviews of strings for the YTPP in this thread... in fact, I'm going to delve in there once again right now. :)

Any new experiences/insights fellas with this racket/strings - post up your thoughts!:)

Cheers

R.
Ross- Give Signum Pro- Tornado(17) and Mantis-Power Synthetic a try @ 53 lbs. Doesn't get much better!!!

Backhanded Compliment
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Ive got Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 1.24 on it at 56 lbs right now and I really like it... looks nice and the ball does those big dives right at the end.

Silverstring 1.20 might be great too... Ive got that on my MP which is my main stick... for me my YT Prestige Pro is for playing pushers or anyone absorbing pace and extra windy days that keep me pinned at the baseline with unpredictable junk.

Ross K
06-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Ive got Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough 1.24 on it at 56 lbs right now and I really like it... looks nice and the ball does those big dives right at the end.

Silverstring 1.20 might be great too... Ive got that on my MP which is my main stick... for me my YT Prestige Pro is for playing pushers or anyone absorbing pace and extra windy days that keep me pinned at the baseline with unpredictable junk.

Well BH Comp, seriously, as that's exactly what I like, maybe should check it out. :wink:

Hotrocks,

Ross- Give Signum Pro- Tornado(17) and Mantis-Power Synthetic a try @ 53 lbs. Doesn't get much better!!!

Thanks, yes I've actually got Tornado as a full job in my YTPP ATM (which I need to play a bit more to get a better POV)... as I've been saying for a while though, I do want to try the hybrid option one of these days, so, hmmmmm...

R

bfactor61
06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
anyone try sppp hextreme?

el sergento
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Ross, nice to see you loving the PPro again.

As for setups, I'm loving B5E mains and NXT 17 crosses, 53/55. Super soft, great spin, touch and comfort.

I find the PPro to be a spin machine, so I love a soft multi as a cross to add power and easy depth to the mixture.

This setup also makes for a large SS and massive dwell time. You really feel the ball dig into the stringbed only to be redirected at will.

Backhanded Compliment
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, according to these boards B5E seems to produces those end dives as well... I have some of that on backorder. I suspect it is less stiff than the BHSR...

Honestly for the price Ill probably stick to BHSR unless B5E is somehow extra magical.

el sergento
06-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, according to these boards B5E seems to produces those end dives as well... I have some of that on backorder. I suspect it is less stiff than the BHSR...

Honestly for the price Ill probably stick to BHSR unless B5E is somehow extra magical.

Stick to what works for you honestly. B5E isn't the second coming of Jeebus. It's a great string, but compared to higher end poly's it's not a super high performance string.

I mostly use it because it's soft and durable. Spin is adequate but you have to produce your own, it won't do anything extra special, but for the price it's hard to beat.

Ross K
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
el, BH Comp, all,

A short session this week with my YTPP w/Tornado @ 52... yes, I'm liking this again, I must say... a certain crispness/softness, good power, spin's nice... can it take pride of place over the Tour Bite in my TGKPP? I doubt it tbh, as I find the spin/power/crunchy feel and the way the ball kind of gets locked on to with TB to be sort of addictive. :) That said, I want to take a better look at Tornado.

bfactor,

I haven't tried that Hextreme string. However, I do like Signum strings in general (as above illustrates.) In fact, prior to discovering Tour Bite, my face string for the PP may well have been Hyperion.

R

pelusi
06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Ross K,can you tell me what this gauge,power, topspin,feel,Tension stability of solinco tour bite????

Ross K
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Ross K,can you tell me what this gauge,power, topspin,feel,Tension stability of solinco tour bite????

Hey pelusi,

All completely subjective of course but...I use 16L Gauge/1.25... loads of power (like, say, Typhoon) plus loads of topspin too (not quite Blue Gear spin but BIG spin none-the-less), the feel is distinctive: grabby and crunching, and relatively stiff... to me the string is kind of an extension or update of Alu, though it doesn't go dead so quickly.

R

Backhanded Compliment
06-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Hmmm still looking for the perfect string so I might try tornado some time but Silverstring is my fall back now and it works for me on my MP, for my PP BHSR is fine... it got me out of jam on friday (nearly blew a 5-0 lead... ugh, switched to the PP at 5 all and finished it 7-5). It felt Murray-esque, ha!

bfactor61
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
anyone tried typhoon or cyclone?

mkv
07-15-2011, 04:53 AM
String Poly 10% Lower than other string to obtain same effective tension. Restring about every 10-12 hours of play (about every three weeks).

Hvybrid Strings:

i) with polyester or monofilament strings, you should keep your Luxilon monofilament strings at the same tension in the mains, and install the crosses 5-10% higher. Most people prefer an increase of 5%.

ii) If you currently are playing with gut strings, multifilaments, or synthetic gut, you should keep you normal tension on the crosses with your multifilament string, and install the mains 5-10% lower with a Luxilon Monofilament. Most people prefer a 10% drop in tension.

My best set-up was:

Mains: 46/50 Signum Pro Tornado 17 (1.23) / Mantis Comfort 17g in the Crosses
Comfort: A
Tension Stability: A
Starting RA 52 / after 2 hrs RA 48
Great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added good touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado. My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

Hi thanks for the great review,

does the Mantis Comfort come in 17g?
Tennis warehouse only has the 16g versions.. :(

Where did you get your 17g from?
And what if I mix Tornado 17 with this Mantis 16g?
How will it possibly be like?

Thank you!

Backhanded Compliment
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Ive used Cyclone 17 and 18 on my YTPMP and it could work great on the YTPP (they arent that different just that the YTPP is spinnier and perhaps slightly more baseliner oriented). I like the 18 much better... a less dampened feel and better spin and nearly the same durability. 12 hours on a full set of 18 at 53lbs on the MP so maybe 55-56lbs on the YTPP? If you arent a huge hitter you can go into the low 50's upper 40's... I require a firmer string bed though.

bfactor61
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
bhsr feels great on the ytpp

johndagolfer
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
anyone tried typhoon or cyclone?

I've used typhoon on my ytpp for the past 5 months or so. Before that I used spin X.

My take:

Spin X - Great pocketing, extremely good topspin, great pop on the serve, decent feel, play a really heavy topspin ball but can't always generate power unless I go all out

Typhon - Great pocketing, good top spin (flatter trajectory, probably due to the power of th strings), really powerful string (sometimes tooo powerful if I am out of control that day, incredible serve pop, decent feel.

The Big Kahuna
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM

I prefer Mantis Comfort, but damn close! NOW, try swapping the the two strings and put the Tornado in as the crosses and wait for the string bed to open up - a bit more power and a lot more touch this way. Nice if you hit the ball flatter.

Torando would likely suit you better in the Main strings if you are a baseliner or spin-master.

Either way, it feels perfect for this racquet.

The Big Kahuna
08-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi thanks for the great review,

does the Mantis Comfort come in 17g?
Tennis warehouse only has the 16g versions.. :(

Where did you get your 17g from?
And what if I mix Tornado 17 with this Mantis 16g?
How will it possibly be like?

Thank you!

Mantis Comfort only comes 16g and - yes - you can mix the two and it feels INCREDIBLE.

JT_2eighty
08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
I've been enjoying Polystar Turbo thoroughly in the YTPP.

Recently a full bed of Tornado has equal spin and less power for slightly more accuracy under pressure. I find that Tornado is great for days when I'm not in the zone, which is sometimes required with a high-powered string like Turbo. Tornado is a great string, with far better tension hold & similar comfort; making it a perfect backup setup to Turbo. However, when I'm dialed in or practicing, nothing beats the comfort and heaviness that comes with Turbo. It's easier on my arm in full bed of poly than many other poly/gut hybrids.

I've tried a few other setups in the YTPP and these are my top 2.

Marcus2137
08-31-2011, 06:46 AM
only had my YTPP for a few months now but this is what I've tried as I've been trying to find a setup I like.

My stringer friend first set me up with Luxilon 5-star 15L mains and Prince Topspin 15L strung at 50/52lbs.

It worked well except it is a little heavy of a setup (18grams), and I was having issues with balls unexpectedly spraying a little, and the biggest issue was that I was constantly blasting balls past the baseline when tried to hit a winner.

Based on what I read online about the prestige pro being stiff and stuff, I had the first set up strung loose at 50/52lbs. I historically have enjoyed tighter setups, and with the issues I was having controlling the power, I decided to try something different when I broke these strings. I also have NEVER tried a thinner string so I thought I would give it a shot.

Now I have Head Sonic Pro 17g mains/ Head Fibergel 17g crosses at 60/62lbs. I'm loving this setup. The spin seems just as good as the Luxilon 5-star 'spin string'. The directional control/accuracy is much better; depth control is much better; consistency is much better; and the power feel much more controlled than before (I can really swing through the ball and it still drops in, where before it would just blast to the fence).

I think the higher tensions are definitely the way to go for me personally. I can add power when I want and I have great control. And I have no issues getting enough depth when reaching for, or blocking back, a wide shot while on the run. And unlike many people here I actually really like the stiffness of the YTPP frame. I tried a soft flexible frame for a while (still have it and try occasionally) and really don't like the feel.

Hotrocks
09-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Kirshbaum Helix 17
Volkl Cyclone 17

MSV Focus HEX 17 and 18
Volkl Cyclone 17 and 18

Have you ever tried the Mantis-Power Synthetic in the crosses w/Tornado in the mains? If so...How would you compare the Mantis- Power versus the Comfort. Never tried the comfort but very happy with Power Synthetic sttrung @ 51/49.

AirK
09-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Just broke my tourbite 17g in my YTPPs @ 52lbs

More spin less power compared to PLII 16g..that's the only comparison I have. PLII probably a bit softer once broken in imo.

Looking to try typhoon/black magic/ one of the big hitter strings and maybe something else...

The Big Kahuna
09-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Have you ever tried the Mantis-Power Synthetic in the crosses w/Tornado in the mains? If so...How would you compare the Mantis- Power versus the Comfort. Never tried the comfort but very happy with Power Synthetic sttrung @ 51/49.

Having done some testing now on hybrids that include natural gut (see numerous threads on that subject over the last month) I have now gone from a poly/multi combo hybrid to a gut/poly one with GREAT results. The extra money is definitely worth it in terms of spin, comfort, feel, power, tension stability, and - yes - even durability.

I can highly recommend 52 KLIP Legend Tour black gut (17g) mains / 48 MSV C0-Focus 1.18 (18g) crosses in the YT PP.

Adidas_Anderson
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe my problem?
I am using NXT Tour 16 + Alu power Rough @60lbs
Which is sucks....... I tried full bed of Alu power rough, feels amazing......
But the NXT Tour SUCKS when making the combo..
My opinion

Backhanded Compliment
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I definitely prefer BHSR to B5E on the YTPP

AirK
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
delete please

ncwxx717
09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Lux Savage

AirK
09-17-2011, 04:33 AM

Kirshbaum Helix 17
Volkl Cyclone 17

MSV Focus HEX 17 and 18
Volkl Cyclone 17 and 18

Hey Big Kahuna just wondering if you could tell me if you found any major loss in spin potential or control with your poly/syngut hybrid compared to full poly e.g. bhbr/ cyclone 17g/ tornado 17g thanks!

Ross K
09-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Okay, now I'm back on track with my TGKPP and YTPP, I'm looking for softer full poly option to Tour Bite but I still want BIG power and BIG spin - TB is pierless in this regard for me. Anyhow, what would you good folks recommend? Shoot me some advice!:)

TIA
R

JT_2eighty
09-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Okay, now I'm back on track with my TGKPP and YTPP, I'm looking for softer full poly option to Tour Bite but I still want BIG power and BIG spin -
TIA
R

Not sure if you already tried it, but soft + power + spin = Polystar Turbo all the way.

I know some people complain about tension maintenance, but once you lock-in to the power and feel of this string, it becomes apparent that it is simply a *massive* power poly with *incredible* softness/comfort. It is the only poly I've found that stays soft for it's entire lifespan. Granted, the first 4-5 hours are the best, it still remains playable until it breaks, if not at least as a practice setup. For the price, I haven't looked back. And yes, this is in the YTPP which I've fully transitioned to now for the last 4+ months.

Ross K
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Not sure if you already tried it, but soft + power + spin = Polystar Turbo all the way.

I know some people complain about tension maintenance, but once you lock-in to the power and feel of this string, it becomes apparent that it is simply a *massive* power poly with *incredible* softness/comfort. It is the only poly I've found that stays soft for it's entire lifespan. Granted, the first 4-5 hours are the best, it still remains playable until it breaks, if not at least as a practice setup. For the price, I haven't looked back. And yes, this is in the YTPP which I've fully transitioned to now for the last 4+ months.

Thanks, JT. Shall read up Turbo. Not a string I know. How does it compare to Poly Energy?

R

AirK
09-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Okay, now I'm back on track with my TGKPP and YTPP, I'm looking for softer full poly option to Tour Bite but I still want BIG power and BIG spin - TB is pierless in this regard for me. Anyhow, what would you good folks recommend? Shoot me some advice!:)

TIA
R

In the same position as you mate will keep you updated on what i try! Have BHBR, cyclone, black magic and hyperion on the way (although you say you've tried hyperion?) Meanwhile...have you tried PL2? I have good memories of that string

JT_2eighty
09-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Thanks, JT. Shall read up Turbo. Not a string I know. How does it compare to Poly Energy?

R

Has better durability and tension settle than energy. Texture is akin to blue gear. Comfort and power like energy, yet control is better. Worth a try especially in the pp

Ross K
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Has better durability and tension settle than energy. Texture is akin to blue gear. Comfort and power like energy, yet control is better. Worth a try especially in the pp

You've converted me JT with this post!:) I'll try and track down a set and give it whirl. Cheers for the tip.

R

Ross K
09-19-2011, 10:14 AM
In the same position as you mate will keep you updated on what i try! Have BHBR, cyclone, black magic and hyperion on the way (although you say you've tried hyperion?) Meanwhile...have you tried PL2? I have good memories of that string

Personally I liked BHBR I think a bit more than Hyperion, but that's a great string too for sure, and TBH I like them both a lot. The BHBR seems to me to be a tad softer, spinnier and with more oomph, and for my tastes it has a general dynamic feel I ever so slightly prefer. Cyclone? I want to try. Black Magic? Never hit with it. Re PL2, my memories are that it was slightly stiffer than advertised and a tad low powered. Additionally, I'd add that Typhoon for me was probably even more to my liking than BHBR... ah, so many great strings now; so hard to choose!:)

Keep us posted on your findings.

R

AirK
09-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Personally I liked BHBR I think a bit more than Hyperion, but that's a great string too for sure, and TBH I like them both a lot. The BHBR seems to me to be a tad softer, spinnier and with more oomph, and for my tastes it has a general dynamic feel I ever so slightly prefer. Cyclone? I want to try. Black Magic? Never hit with it. Re PL2, my memories are that it was slightly stiffer than advertised and a tad low powered. Additionally, I'd add that Typhoon for me was probably even more to my liking than BHBR... ah, so many great strings now; so hard to choose!:)

Keep us posted on your findings.

R

Hmm but BHBR was less dynamic than tour bite to you then? I guess i'll be finding out any soon(ish) anyway and i'll definitely let you know how cyclone and black magic go, really looking forward to trying the latter seems to get a very positive response here... Yea PL2 was like that with me at first too but i think once it 'broke in' felt MUCH better to me...dno how long you stuck along with it.

mkv
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Having done some testing now on hybrids that include natural gut (see numerous threads on that subject over the last month) I have now gone from a poly/multi combo hybrid to a gut/poly one with GREAT results. The extra money is definitely worth it in terms of spin, comfort, feel, power, tension stability, and - yes - even durability.

I can highly recommend 52 KLIP Legend Tour black gut (17g) mains / 48 MSV C0-Focus 1.18 (18g) crosses in the YT PP.

Hi,

Any updates on all your string setups that you have been using on your YT PP?

Would be interested to know if there are any more insights.

Thanks

Hotrocks
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Signum Pro-Tornado(17g) in the mains @ 57lbs./ Mantis-Power Synthetic in the crosses @ 58.5lbs. Tried a lot of strings and I find these quit nice.

clarky
01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Lux Alu power or Lux Alu Power rough, period. I have tried so many polys over the past 3 years, at the end of the day you cant go past Lux Alu Power. I just picked up a Head Youtek IG Prestige MP, come strung with Sonic Pro, getting it strung up with Lux Alu Power this weekend. I always come back to this string, I read these forums and end up changing string, costs me a lot of money and time, so from now on I will just stick with the Lux Alu :)

Lex
01-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I just tried the Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite.

Whoa, I'm in LOVE!!!!!! I read the TW Staff review and decided to try a set.

This is good stuff in the YouTek PP!!! Nice bite, not too stiff and decent pocketing at 52# on a lock-out machine.

I may reconsider the TF Blackcode as the Holy Grail in the Prestige Pro.

Worth a try folks!!

clarky
01-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Lex

Have you tried Lux Big Banger Alu Power rough in your prestige?

Lex
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I have tried the BB ALU Rough and didn't care for it. Maybe a thinner gauge would be better.

I prefer a thinner string (17, 17L or even 18).

mkv
01-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Signum Pro-Tornado(17g) in the mains @ 57lbs./ Mantis-Power Synthetic in the crosses @ 58.5lbs. Tried a lot of strings and I find these quit nice.

Hi
Does this setup give your shoulder problems?

Thanks

Hotrocks
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi
Does this setup give your shoulder problems?

Thanks

No shoulder problems. I use to string in the lower 50's, the ball would end up long on returns. I believe the Mantis synthetic softens up the string bed.