PDA

View Full Version : What's tougher on your arm / elbow ?

Marcus
11-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Guys....

just wondering what would be tougher on your arm ?

Gut at Hight tension - say VS Gut @ 64lb

or

Poly at low tension - say RPM Blast @ 50lb

Reference frame would be Youtek Prestige Pro

Thanks

Mark

big bang
11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Mark

Gut would be softer on your arm even at high tension.
Poly can still be tough even at low tesion, but never had any problems myself strung around 50 with a soft poly. Higher than 55 I had some pain in my elbow and biceps last year.

jdubbs
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Had poly at 55 and it tore me up. Shoulder, elbow argghhh.

Moving to Babolat natty guy 17g at 55 and will let you know...get em back today, and can't wait! I expect to break a few, so it might get kind of expensive, but worth it if it helps me play pain free.

pheonix6579
11-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Don't really have much experience with gut at THAT high of a tension, but if you worried about the effect of poly on the arm you might have to go lower than #50. I think overall you would be more pleased with gut at #64.

duketennisgal
11-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Don't really have much experience with gut at THAT high of a tension, but if you worried about the effect of poly on the arm you might have to go lower than #50. I think overall you would be more pleased with gut at #64.

I had been using gut at 53, I didn't know much about the RPM Blast when I tried them so I had them strung at 50. Tore my shoulder and elbow up, I've never had any pain in my arm and within a month I couldn't pick up a glass of water without pain. I ditched the strings but it's been over a month and my arm isn't completely healed. It is getting better though.

I would say go lower than 50 for sure if you are concerned with the effect it will have on your arm.

sidzej
11-18-2010, 07:32 AM
My typical setup is gut/poly hybrid. I enjoy playing with full gut, but find it difficult to control (as I don't want to string above 60) and I like a lot to play with co-poly strung very low (35-40).
Co-poly, even if strung this low, is still harsh on my arm. I simply can't over do it with poly and I need to alternate racquets during the week.

At the end it comes down to definition of what "tougher on arm" means :) You can have a look at some curves from TW professor, showing that stiffness of poly (even if strung very low) is simply much higher than stiffness of highly strung natural gut.

ccapp
11-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Guys....

or

Thanks

Mark

I think you would have to give it a play test. Obviously at some point, you can string a poly loose enough to provide a soft feel. However, poly has very little resiliency (stretch) to it. Therefore, when you string it very loose, it's the entire sting bed that is moving, not the string. Make sense? At that point, you are no longer gaining the benefit of the poly characteristics.

If you go have to go below recommended tension to save your arm, you are better off going to a softer string. In general, I think a softer string at higher tension is going to play better than a stiffer string at a very low tension. Again, it's probably something to experiment with.

As far as your arm goes, you can string the RPM low enough so it doesn't bother your arm, but like I noted above, you will drastically change the playing characteristics of the string bed.

pheonix6579
11-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I think you would have to give it a play test. Obviously at some point, you can string a poly loose enough to provide a soft feel. However, poly has very little resiliency (stretch) to it. Therefore, when you string it very loose, it's the entire sting bed that is moving, not the string. Make sense? At that point, you are no longer gaining the benefit of the poly characteristics.

If you go have to go below recommended tension to save your arm, you are better off going to a softer string. In general, I think a softer string at higher tension is going to play better than a stiffer string at a very low tension. Again, it's probably something to experiment with.

As far as your arm goes, you can string the RPM low enough so it doesn't bother your arm, but like I noted above, you will drastically change the playing characteristics of the string bed.

Very good point you make. eventually teh lower you go the benefits of poly are lesser and lesser. Especially if you used to a certain tension. Nat. Gut at 64 and poly at 35 might both be easier on you arm but will feel and hit COMPLETELY different.

thebuffman
11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
the gut will definitely be easier on the arm. it is simply not stiff/harsh material. be careful trying to string it at 64 though as you might immediately lose your investment like i did. POP! right there in the stringer on the 2nd from last main. i popped two gut jobs right behind each other while stringing because of the high tension. i have strung many gut jobs and never had this happen as long as i was keeping the tension at < 60. i think i tried stringing
@ 65 when i popped both sets.

TennezSport
11-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Natural Gut(NG) string will always be better for your arm but tension has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about Elasticity, and NG has the most elasticity of any string on the planet. Its that elasticity and resiliency that makes NG so good as it absorbs shock. No synthetic gut(SG) or poly/co-poly string even comes close.

On the other hand Poly/Co-poly strings have the least amount of elasticity/resiliency and do not absorb shock, so that means you do. Also, poly strings loose tension very quickly and once it's lost, there is no elasticity at all, which makes the string play even stiffer (or dead). At this point you have to hit harder to get your normal distance and all shock is passed onto you. Dropping the tension in a poly to compensate helps the string to live longer, but it will still get to that dead state no matter what you do.

Pro players want a "durable" string to last them one match, becasue they string almost every day. The big mistake that most rec players make with poly string is thinking that it's "durable" since it's harder to break, then they keep it in their racquets too long. While that may be the case for some the better question is is it "playable" (poly string life lasts about 4-20hrs depending on player level). So if you compare poly playable life to a SG or Multi life, they are about the same, it's just the SG or Multi will break to let you know it's gone.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

thebuffman
11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
^^^^^^well said my friend, well said^^^^^

Tar Heel Tennis
11-19-2010, 06:57 AM
another experienced player agrees that natural gut is easier on the arm (in my case, anyway)

i play with natty gut at 62lbs in kps88 and pstgt frames.

i can play tennis for hours without using an arm band and not have any elbow pain with these strings.

with ANY OTHER string, regardless of softness rating, i MUST wear my arm band, unless i wish for my elbow to scream out in pain after 30-60 minutes of playing.

ccapp
11-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Natural Gut(NG) string will always be better for your arm but tension has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about Elasticity, and NG has the most elasticity of any string on the planet. Its that elasticity and resiliency that makes NG so good as it absorbs shock. No synthetic gut(SG) or poly/co-poly string even comes close.

On the other hand Poly/Co-poly strings have the least amount of elasticity/resiliency and do not absorb shock, so that means you do. Also, poly strings loose tension very quickly and once it's lost, there is no elasticity at all, which makes the string play even stiffer (or dead). At this point you have to hit harder to get your normal distance and all shock is passed onto you. Dropping the tension in a poly to compensate helps the string to live longer, but it will still get to that dead state no matter what you do.

Pro players want a "durable" string to last them one match, becasue they string almost every day. The big mistake that most rec players make with poly string is thinking that it's "durable" since it's harder to break, then they keep it in their racquets too long. While that may be the case for some the better question is is it "playable" (poly string life lasts about 4-20hrs depending on player level). So if you compare poly playable life to a SG or Multi life, they are about the same, it's just the SG or Multi will break to let you know it's gone.

One more point regarding poly or co-poly: TenezSport mentioned the short playability life of poly strings. Tension hold is an important characteristic, and if, following the initial tension drop, if the string stabalizes at a suitable tension, it can play well for a while. I would guess 6hrs. minimum, but that's just my best guess. I will tell you that at about the 10hr mark my co-poly is still playing great, but then is snaps. However, I'm using 18g, because the way I see it, there is no benefit to the strings lasting (not breaking) beyond their optimal playability characteristics. My philosophy is to match the time the string breaks, with the time it takes for the string to go dead. In other words, you don't want the strings to break while they are still playing well, but it is a playing liability to stick with dead string, just becuase they haven't broken yet. That's why I go to such a thin guage with a co-poly. I think most would agree that thinner guage string is better in many respects, and if it can last up until the string goes dead anyways, it's worth it. I think most could play with a thinner guage poly or co-poly and the longevity to playability ratio would be more in sync.

beststringer
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Guys....

or

Thanks

Mark

Poly will feel just as comfortable but it will hurt in the long run.

rudester
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM
I played with natural gut for many years strung at 67 pounds in a Pro Staff 85, with no problems. Now, i know from experience that luxilon strung at 55 in a K six-one tour, is guaranteed to give me tennis elbow. I know that the new co-poly's are more arm friendly and i can play with them at that tension, but would not string even a soft co-poly as tight as i have gut.
Anyway this has been my experience

DrpShot!
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
TennezSport is right on. Over the years I've played mainly Head Prestige MPs, from the i.Prestige the Youtek, and mainly with natural gut at 62lbs. No arm problems. About 10 years ago I switched to a lighter Volkl racket, got tennis elbow bad within two weeks. Back to the Prestige MPs with nat gut, no problems a few months later.

The only other time I've gotten TE is with poly string. It took about three months, but a little twinge eventually turned into a lot of pain over the elbow, up the back of my upper arm and down into my forearm. I tried hybriding but it wasn't going away and certain serves and off center hits still hurt. Back to natural gut, a few months later I'm TE free and have been playing the whole time. Still have some twinges here and there after playing for more than 2 hours at a time, but by and large TE is gone.

I love the way the copolys play though, especially Big Hitter Silver in an open pattern, heavier racket like the Radical Tour, and am going to try natural gut and quasi gut type strings in the mains with poly crosses. If TE comes back, I'll stick to nat gut and multis, but I'll miss the combination of control, power and spin I get with all poly.

Tennis_Crazed
11-24-2010, 04:24 PM

good stuff... will copy and paste this :)