PDA

View Full Version : Hockey tape instead of head tape

kevhen
06-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Last night I saw that hockey tape was half the price that tennis head tape was so I got some for $2. I put about 3/4 of an ounce on each of my frames and still have some left over. Has anyone else used hockey tape to protect the frame and add weight to the head? I will see how it holds up but it looks pretty cool being a mean looking black instead of the typical gray head tape. Hockey tape comes in a variety of colors as well. It does seem a little thinner but sticks just as well to the frame.

tcjackson
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
You said you used 3/4 of an ounce of head protection tape on your racket? Why would you do that? Head protection tape is normally only used 1 layer at a time---just to protect the frame from scraping the ground.

You probably should get some lead tape applied to those racquets if you are trying to shift the swing weight or balance of the frame.

kevhen
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Lead tape tends to fly off when I serve so I use head tape where I can place it more to where I like and can make small adjustment. I did use like 4 layers in some spots but it stays on. I used to scrape the ground alot but not so much anymore as either I get to the ball sooner or don't chase as many down!

papa
06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Lead tape tends to fly off when I serve so I use head tape where I can place it more to where I like and can make small adjustment. I did use like 4 layers in some spots but it stays on. I used to scrape the ground alot but not so much anymore as either I get to the ball sooner or don't chase as many down!

I think I'd stick with lead tape, however, what you're doing will work - I guess. Hockey tape is like a "friction" tape that was used primarily by electricians before they mostly switched to the current black plactic type.

When you apply lead tape, put it on the "inside" of the frame as compared to the outside and it probably won't "fly off" when you serve. Something that many do, especially if your using slotted lead tape, is to run thin pieces of electrical tape (type mentioned above) (cut in half so its like a 1/4 in) around the lead tape and the frame. Go between each row of strings - takes just a couple of minutes to do and the lead tape will stay put.

Most racquets these days have plastic head protectors that can be replaced when you re-string. Some of us do manage to wear these out every six months or so but its no big deal because most stringers have a pretty good inventory of them and they only cost a few bucks.

tcjackson
06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Well, SLOW YOUR SERVE DOWN, then the lead tape will stay on! Just kidding.

pistolero
10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Very old thread. just wanted to say I prefer hockey tape over lead tape because it's more uniform and does not dramatically change the balance of the racquet. As mentioned, It doubles as a frame protector. The downside is the glue residue it may leave behind on the racquet, especially after a scrape. Otherwise, it is a quick and easy solution to adding some descent stability to any frame.