PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut string too dry...anything I can do?

darkman
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a Babolat Tonic natural gut string that I bought about 2 years ago. I recently brought it to City Sports to get it strung on my racquet and they said the string was too dry and the string might break if they try stringing it. Is there anything I can do with the string or should I just throw it out?

GPB
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
You could try to find another stringer who is willing to take their time and string it up. If they break it, I doubt they'll reimburse you, since you know it's iffy.

Or you could try to sell it to somebody on here; there might be someone willing to give $5 to try it. I've strung dry Global Gut before with no problems...

Good luck!

GameSetMatch
11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Bow Brand gut conditioner. Rub it on.

pvaudio
11-17-2010, 05:57 PM
This entirely depends on how it was stored. It's stored in a sealed packet, yes, but two years is quite a long time to keep a set of natural gut just lying around. While it does have good environmental resistance, it really is meant to used within a decent amount of time of purchase. Huge temperature and humidity swings will affect the string regardless of the little foil packet it comes in.

If it were me, since you don't string for yourself, I would just toss it and spend another 30 bucks on a new packet. If you end up not liking it, how do you know if it was due to age or not? Even when conditioned, it still isn't the same as fresh gut just like restored leather will never have that same natural suppleness as fresh leather.

southend
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Damage to the string is a done deal, but if I had it and cost to string was not an issue (could be a lost cause), I would lightly rub olive oil or baby oil on the string and let it sit for awhile before stringing.

freshtennis
11-18-2010, 04:33 AM
vaseline ...?

morten
11-18-2010, 06:31 AM
baby oil..

pvaudio
11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Um, I wouldn't rub any petroleum based oil on it. I would stick with natural oils if you are going to try to "restore" it without using the gut conditioner. Petroleum based oil has the tendency to make just about anything deteriorate.

athiker
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Related question...how best to store natural gut? I have several packages that I likely won't get around to using for some time. They did come in apparently sealed foil packages at least.

I was thinking of putting in a zip-lock freezer bag and putting in the back of a closet...figured less temp fluctuation. I thought about the freezer or fridge but then thought that might dry it out faster.

Thoughts?

thebuffman
11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
you definitely do not want to rub petroleum oils on your gut strings. i have always used olive oil and never had a problem global gut breaking on me. i apply it by dabbing a few drops of olive oil in a napkin and then pinch the string with the oiled part of the napkin pulling the string through slowly.

diredesire
11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Related question...how best to store natural gut? I have several packages that I likely won't get around to using for some time. They did come in apparently sealed foil packages at least.

I was thinking of putting in a zip-lock freezer bag and putting in the back of a closet...figured less temp fluctuation. I thought about the freezer or fridge but then thought that might dry it out faster.

Thoughts?
In a dark, cool, dry place. If it's foil sealed, there's no reason to put it in a refrigerated place, it won't receive any damage in there, but once you remove it, you'll likely get some condensation issues unless there's a silica packet inside.

you definitely do not want to rub petroleum oils on your gut strings. i have always used olive oil and never had a problem global gut breaking on me. i apply it by dabbing a few drops of olive oil in a napkin and then pinch the string with the oiled part of the napkin pulling the string through slowly.
Olive oil, or baby oil will be fine. There is specifically formulated gut treatments (and weather coating), but it's not worth the money unless you use gut strings a lot.

I have a Babolat Tonic natural gut string that I bought about 2 years ago. I recently brought it to City Sports to get it strung on my racquet and they said the string was too dry and the string might break if they try stringing it. Is there anything I can do with the string or should I just throw it out?
Was it sealed when you brought it in? If so, it should be good for stringing.

kiteboard
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Bees wax/...

Richard Parnell
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
As dire says.
Sealed aluminium foil packaging really doesn't have a limited shelf life so as long as it was sealed..........
All the best

athiker
11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks, I was hoping the sealed shelf life was good. I just hope the seal is as good as it looks. I put it in the coolest room in the house.

Fedace
11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
What about dipping it in the Conditioner ? not the shampoo but the conditioner ??

insiderman
11-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Gut actually gets BETTER with age! Albeit without extreme exposure to elements - so the longer it 'sits' the more the natural cologen of the serosa can 'blend' with the coatings, etc - totally a Wives Tale that 'old' gut is going to go bad - once it is processed, and sealed with the coating applied, you can leave it opened (OK, don't go with extremes - as that effects ANYTHING - natural, or synthetic) and not have any issues - again, this is for talking of reputable gut Mfg's like Babolat & Pacific. Funny how everyone assumes that there is "fresh" (days/weeks old) gut coming to the Market - if it was not aged and it was released "fresh", it would break ASAP...
The magic of gut is soooooooo miss-understood!

scotus
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Gut actually gets BETTER with age! Albeit without extreme exposure to elements - so the longer it 'sits' the more the natural cologen of the serosa can 'blend' with the coatings, etc - totally a Wives Tale that 'old' gut is going to go bad - once it is processed, and sealed with the coating applied, you can leave it opened (OK, don't go with extremes - as that effects ANYTHING - natural, or synthetic) and not have any issues - again, this is for talking of reputable gut Mfg's like Babolat & Pacific. Funny how everyone assumes that there is "fresh" (days/weeks old) gut coming to the Market - if it was not aged and it was released "fresh", it would break ASAP...
The magic of gut is soooooooo miss-understood!

I have tried a gut that is over 20 years old and it strung up and played like it was new.

Having said this, I am clueless as to whether gut actually gets better with age. But as long as gut has been stored with some care, it should be good for at least a couple of decades.