PDA

View Full Version : Big Ace or Black Code?

OMGOAT
11-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Hi tennis masters :)

I just bought my Pure Storm GT few days ago. Asian Spec (295g)
I'm gonna string either

1) Black code 17G with Gosen OG micro sheep 16G
2) Big Ace 17G with Gosen OG micro sheep 16G

I'm looking for good tension maintenance & durability. The spin shouldn't differ much between 1 and 2 right?

If I run out of choices, i'll be stringing either

3) Black code 17G
4) Big Ace 17G

All replies are welcomed =)

pheonix6579
11-18-2010, 06:25 AM
I strung Black Code 17g and PSGD 16g in my Pure Storm and I loved it. For that particular frame it was a very nice combo.

ccapp
11-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi tennis masters :)

I just bought my Pure Storm GT few days ago. Asian Spec (295g)
I'm gonna string either

1) Black code 17G with Gosen OG micro sheep 16G
2) Big Ace 17G with Gosen OG micro sheep 16G

I'm looking for good tension maintenance & durability. The spin shouldn't differ much between 1 and 2 right?

If I run out of choices, i'll be stringing either

3) Black code 17G
4) Big Ace 17G

All replies are welcomed =)

I know Black Code very well, but have never used Big Ace or Gosen OG micro sheep. I use Black Code for the entire string bed, so my assessment may be off when used in a hybrid set up. I can tell you that Black Code is a very soft co-poly. After the initial break-in (1 - 2hrs. of solid hitting), it is nicely cusioned at impact without being "mushy." Obviously, the tension hold contributes to this change in the characteristics of the string. Having said that, after the string breaks in, I think it holds tension well. I have never had to restring because I felt it had lost a significant amount of tension. However, I use 18 guage, so it breaks in about 10 sets of tennis. I don't think you need to worry about tension hold. I think the durability will be excellent for this string at 17g. Black Code is a hexagonal string, so if you want the benefit, you ought to string them as mains. Probably a topic for a different thread.

mozzer
11-18-2010, 07:43 AM
I much prefered Big Ace out of these too and found that it did everything superior. I found Blackcode unbelievably mushy with dire tension maintenance.

rodrigoamaral
11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
I'd go with big ace.. cant beat it for its price

thebuffman
11-18-2010, 08:14 AM
funny you should ask. i was just working out the ball machine with black code in one stick and signum pro poly plama in the other yesterday. black code really won out for me as it gave me a more consistent deep ball. sppp seemed to be a little lower powered and not as consistent a depth a black code.

i have also used pro supex big ace and thought it was too powerful. i launched too many balls 5'+ past the baseline. since my BA testing, i have pretty much left 3 packs of it sitting in a container. black code played way better for me than BA. in all honesty though i did not string them near the same tension with matching sticks. perhaps i will give it a whirl now that all of my new pb10's are matched.

coloskier
11-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Don't know much about Big Ace, but Black Code only lasted about 6 sets for me, and I'm a flat hitter.

kiteboard
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
funny you should ask. i was just working out the ball machine with black code in one stick and signum pro poly plama in the other yesterday. black code really won out for me as it gave me a more consistent deep ball. sppp seemed to be a little lower powered and not as consistent a depth a black code.

i have also used pro supex big ace and thought it was too powerful. i launched too many balls 5'+ past the baseline. since my BA testing, i have pretty much left 3 packs of it sitting in a container. black code played way better for me than BA. in all honesty though i did not string them near the same tension with matching sticks. perhaps i will give it a whirl now that all of my new pb10's are matched.

Listen to this guy.

ccapp
11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Listen to this guy.

Strings are incredibly subjective. Even more so than racquets I think. There are lots more variables, and I think you find more agreement with how a particular frame plays, than string. When you factor in guage and tension, you really open up pandora's box. If you have the time, two frames, and the money or your own stringing machine, you can eventually find the right string set-up. It only took me about 2 yrs. :)

kiteboard
11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
VEry true. Strings are the soul of any frame/game. Someone who has paid the string dues. Bc is a good copoly, hex string, with good tens. main., and good as a cross with softer strings such as nxt, weiss scorpion, technifibre competition, vs gut.

obana48
11-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I've had same experience as mozzer. I have 2 dunlop 4d 200 and BC starts to play mushy and unpredictable after 30-60 minutes. Spin is OK only during 1st hour.

Big Ace Micro gives me 6-8 hours of controllable and crisper feel. Power is the same but BC provides more power after 2-3 hours I think. Just string BAM a bit tighter than regular poly.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-19-2010, 05:17 AM
I am one of the few people that didn't enjoy Black Code, i struggled to gain any pace or spin off them. Felt dead as soon as i started hitting? Also didn't like X Code aswell, probably the funniest feeling string. I hope Tecnifibre strings can return to form.

OMGOAT
11-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Now I have another three choices.
Big Ace Revo
Blue Gear Ultra Spin
Blue Gear Ultimatum Spin

I am currently using Black Code now on another racquet, it plays well but it's too soft for my liking.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the hybrid( Option 1 and 2)? Cause the the tension stays better if I string it as a hybrid right?

Thanks so much!

Ten_nuts
11-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I have 4 Babolat Pure Storm GTs. All 4 have lead tape at 1:30 & 10:30 & on handles to make them equally 11.84 oz strung with around 5 point headlight. 1 was strung with Pro Red Code 16g at 57 lbs. It feels hard at 1st but after 2 or 3 hours hitting, it feels awesome. Great power without losing control, and this Pro Red Code 16g string last....forever. By the way, does anyone know the Pro Red Code 16g string can maintain tensions for a long long time? I play everyday, 2 to 3 hours a day, very powerful, flat forehand and this string can last me at least 2 months.
2nd racquet was strung with Luxilon Power Rough 16 cross at 52 and Wilson NXT 16 main at 57 lbs. I always use this for warming up because it feels very easy, soft. When i need to use topspin forehand, i'd prefer this setup because the bites is awesome. The WIlson NXT will break in around 4 to 6 weeks.
3rd racquet was strung with Solinco Tour Bite 17g at 57 lbs. Great for either flat or topspin forehand with great ball bites. I break this string in the main in 5 or 6 days, never last to 7th day. Tension loses in 1 to 2 hours. Not a very good string.
4th racquet was strung with Solinco Tour Bite 17g in main at 55 lbs and Babolat Revenge 16g in cross at 58 lbs. Awesome ball bites and tension lasts longer than full Solinco stringbed. String will break in 3 to 4 weeks.
In short, no matter what racquet you play, if you prefer full Poly, i suggest the Tecnifibre Pro Red Code 16g or 17g (17g is much better than 16g in everyway but will break quicker). Man i love this string. And if you want to mix, i suggest that the Luxilon Power Rough 16 vs. Wilson NXT (or Prince Syn gut 16). Stay away from Solinco Tour bite because this string is only great for the 1st couple of hours, and it is very stiff string too. Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading.