PDA

View Full Version : Would this appeal play in my favor?

ryushen21
11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I was looking at the USTA site yesterday and saw that they are already processing the rankings for the new year. During the dates for consideration I played three matches and was 1-2 so that's a .33 win percentage. But during this season of league play I am currently 3-0 so I would have a 1.00 win percentage and have one more match to play. So even if I lost I would still be at .75 win percentage.

League play will be concluded by the time rankings post so would I be able to argue, based on the merits of my current season, that I should be moved up rather than kept at my current level?

Nellie
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I have not seen appeals up. Theoretically, you can always play up 1 level. In mixed, you are limited to playing with a player at most 2 levels different so this often creates a matchup problem (you and your partner getting smoked). In reality, it may be hard to find a team to take a player at a lower computer-ranking level.

There is certainly no appeal based on playing record. The grounds for appeal down include injury.

Cindysphinx
11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
You can appeal up. I have seen this done by a computer-rated 3.0 who didn't like that all her pals were bumped to 3.5.

I also had a player do it when she was a 2.5 and played a bunch of 5.5 combo. She got better than 2.5, but combo doesn't count toward ratings so the computer didn't know she was improving. She appealed up to 3.0 so she could play 7.0 mixed with a 3.0 partner -- something she couldn't do as a 2.5.

I plan to have one of my current 4.0 self-rated players appeal up to 4.5. She's too good to stay 4.0, so we might as well fix it.

ryushen21
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I just don't want to get nailed as a sandbagger when spring season starts. I don't see any reason why USTA wouldn't grant the appeal. Just thought some people here would have some insights or experiences.

J_R_B
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I just don't want to get nailed as a sandbagger when spring season starts. I don't see any reason why USTA wouldn't grant the appeal. Just thought some people here would have some insights or experiences.

If you played league this year, you'll have a C rating for next year so you can't be DQ'd.

ian2
11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
ryushen, win percentage has nothing to do with dynamic NTRP calculations. It's all about whom you played and how close the scores were. In theory, your earlier matches (1:2) could have raised your DNTRP and your recent matches (3:0) could have lowered it.

JavierLW
11-18-2010, 02:37 PM
You dont "argue" an appeal.

It's just a computer, you bring up your rating in "Find a rating", and if your unknown rating is within .05 it will grant your rating up. If it is not then you will not get your rating.

You cant argue or reason with a computer.... (but on the bright side it's totally objective and it cant cheat either....)

If you are not moved up, you will have a legitimate computer rating so you shouldnt worry so much if people think you are a sandbagger at that point.