PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Chain vs. Loose Grip

Achillesg
06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure I can explain this question very well, but here goes:

I'm trying to re-learn the strokes from 1970's style to current. The loose grip concept (on forehands and serves) is new to me. The kinetic chain concept is nothing new, it's just a bigger source of the power with the open stances. Now even with the old strokes, no one advocated a death-grip, as that would pretty much destroy the kinetic chain. But I'm having a little bit of confusion about how loose I can hold the grip and still make proper use of the kinetic chain.

If I hold the racquet very loose like a limp handshake as I've seen several recommendations, then I can use the kinetic chain to generate racquet head speed before the hit, but I don't have much sensation of hitting through the ball with the core muscles bracing and pulling against the impact. To achieve that sensation, I at least have to tighten the grip for the instant of impact.

So, what should I be aiming for: loose grip throughout the swing using the core muscles and kinetic chain to essentially throw the raquet head at the ball (you can hit great shots this way as long as you hit the sweet spot) or should my grip be tight enough that I can use the core muscles to help launch the ball during impact? or something else entirely?

redtennis55
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I have never really experimented with the tightness of my grip, but I recommend that you should keep it tight enough so you feel comfortable. I would try instead have some of your hand hanging off the racket, it really helps (I have my pinky hanging off). It gives you a little more reach, and I find it easier to hit the ball with.

Marius_Hancu
06-07-2005, 03:01 PM
If I hold the racquet very loose like a limp handshake as I've seen several recommendations, then I can use the kinetic chain to generate racquet head speed before the hit, but I don't have much sensation of hitting through the ball with the core muscles bracing and pulling against the impact. To achieve that sensation, I at least have to tighten the grip for the instant of impact.

Everything in moderation. Loose enough to get the kinetic chain going smoothly, still you need some control.

I am using a quite lose grip on a heavy racket and it seems to help with accelerating indeed.