PDA

View Full Version : screwed up: 17g and 16Lg same racquet

trade
11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Was merrily stringing my Head Youtek mid+ with Polystar Energy 17g. Ran out of 17g at the end of the crosses (idiot). All I have is 16g Energy left. I know that i can cut out the crosses, but will my racquet be okay if I put the 16 g in the crosses with the 17 g mains? If I do, will it play much differently? Thanks.

meowmix
11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it'll be fine. No probs. Will play very closely to a full bed of the 17, but slightly more control probably. Might want to drop the tension on the crosses 2 pounds to compensate.

trade
11-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it'll be fine. No probs. Will play very closely to a full bed of the 17, but slightly more control probably. Might want to drop the tension on the crosses 2 pounds to compensate.

Thanks for the quick response. Now I can play my match tomorrow with new strings. Much appreciated.

coolblue123
11-23-2010, 03:18 AM

Meowmix: Quick Question for you. Any Cons on mixing gauges in a string job? I was thinking about using a Multi/Syn Gut hybrid. My logic is to use a thicker Multi 16g (cause it breaks faster) with a thinner gauge Syn Gut (17g). Any suggestions on which to put in main or crosses?

JT_2eighty
11-23-2010, 06:32 AM
There is no issue in mixing gauges. And many pros do this to accomplish various playability ends.

I've tried many, from 15L gut mains/18g poly crosses, to 19g kevlar mains/16g gut crosses.

It is a great way to further enhance hybrids if you're looking for durability, spin, control etc.

coolblue123
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
In this case, would you say putting syn gut will be more durable than multi on the mains then?

AllLeague
11-23-2010, 07:33 AM
In my experiences, synthetic gut usually lasted longer than multi. And I always break mains, not crosses. I possibly only broke a cross 1 time, haha. So yes, in my experience, synthetic guy in the mains will be more durable than multi on the mains.

meowmix
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Meowmix: Quick Question for you. Any Cons on mixing gauges in a string job? I was thinking about using a Multi/Syn Gut hybrid. My logic is to use a thicker Multi 16g (cause it breaks faster) with a thinner gauge Syn Gut (17g). Any suggestions on which to put in main or crosses?

What is your objective? IMO, you always put the more desirable string in the mains. In this case, I assume you're going for increased power and feel and comfort. Thus, the multi should be in the mains. The syn gut in the crosses is more or less a filler in this case- something so that your racket just doesn't collapse on itself. A 17g syn gut will provide a tad bit more bite and spin over a 16g, but not by all that much.

In this case, would you say putting syn gut will be more durable than multi on the mains then?

Yes, however, again consider your objective. If you're going for sheer durability, then scratch the hybrid and just go with a full syn gut job. Do not put a multi on the crosses in a syn gut/multi hybrid because you don't get very much out of it and it'll play predominately like a syn gut yet will cost quite a bit more.

In my experiences, synthetic gut usually lasted longer than multi. And I always break mains, not crosses. I possibly only broke a cross 1 time, haha. So yes, in my experience, synthetic guy in the mains will be more durable than multi on the mains.

Indeed, most of the wear and tear goes on the mains. Synthetic gut and multis, in my experience, last roughly the same amount of time for me. Multis perhaps a tad shorter. However, keep in mind that you're using a thinner synthetic gut, which will make the too strings last roughly the same amount of time.

Hope this answers your questions.

coolblue123
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
thanks meowmix. Let me put multi in the mains and syn gut in the crosses.

I like the way you put it. Treat crosses like a filler.

meowmix
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Not all crosses are fillers. Only when you're sticking synthetic gut or nylon in the crosses to reduce cost yet retain most of the original feel can it really be considered filler. Syn gut in a natty gut/syn gut hybrid is a filler. Natural gut in the crosses of a poly hybrid is not a filler.

Limpinhitter
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Was merrily stringing my Head Youtek mid+ with Polystar Energy 17g. Ran out of 17g at the end of the crosses (idiot). All I have is 16g Energy left. I know that i can cut out the crosses, but will my racquet be okay if I put the 16 g in the crosses with the 17 g mains? If I do, will it play much differently? Thanks.

I've once tried 16 mains vs 17 crosses just to see if the thicker mains would be more durable. I could barely feel the difference if at all. Not noticably more durable either.