PDA

View Full Version : More durable than Gamma Synthetic

archman
11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I tried a bunch of synthetic guts (Gamma, Forten Sweet, Prince Synthetic gut original, Gosen OG), and hands down I liked the feel of the Gamma Synthetic 16 gauge. I liked how it felt more crisp than the others. It also doesn't seem to lose it's tension as easily. The only problem is that I can only seem to get about 2 1/2 matches, maybe 3, out of it. I am a 5.0 consistent baseliner, former D1 player but took about 10 years off. What I don't understand is that back in college (mid 90's) I was playing every day, and breaking less strings than playing 3 times a week now. I currently use the Wilson K-factor (the one Federer uses) and back in college I used the original pro Staff.

Is there a string that you recommend that has a similar feel to the Gamma Synthetic but more durability? I want to stay away from the stiffer strings like Luxilon or Gamma Zo. I had tennis elbow for about 8 months that wouldn't go away and I think those strings were really the cause. I'm not looking for a string that lasts forever, but maybe I can get a couple more matches out of it?

archman
11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I meant to add that back in college I used Forten Nylon plus and it even lasted longer back then. I tried Forten Nylon recently and liked it, but I got less durability than the Gamma Synthetic. To my knowledge my strokes are the same as they were in college. Maybe it's the racket?

ace0001a
11-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm a standard synthetic gut lover myself, so I can understand the type of feel you like. But the reality is that if you've had serious tennis elbow issues before, I don't think you have anywhere to go with that. It's almost like you have to chose between durability or physical health. Most wouldn't recommend this, but you could look into hybriding a poly with a soft synthetic or multifilament. I've often seen people here put the poly as the cross string, but I prefer to use it for the mains. In my experience, Forten Nylon crossed with a poly (like Gosen Polylon) makes a crispy comfortable synthetic gut like feeling hybrid. If you're familiar with Luxilon, maybe try Adrenaline hybrided with Forten Nylon...and of course always string the poly a few pounds lower than the synthetic. Again, you might be warned by many to stay away from Polys because of your tennis elbow, but I think it's worth a try in a hybrid.

Valjean
11-19-2010, 03:45 AM
I wouldn't recommend poly in any way, shape or form, to you now...

There are two Gamma synthetics; do you use the one with Wearguard now?

String savers can extend the life of the stringbed by as much as a third...

archman
11-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I think I want to stay away from the hybrids if I can. Taking an hour or two out of my week to string a racket is better than what I went through over the last year.

I do use the one with wearguard now. However I didn't think of string savers. Do they really help?

mikeler
11-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Try the non-Wearguard version of the Gamma synthetic gut 16. It always lasted about twice as long for me. Stay away from the 15 gauge, it is not easy on the elbow. Regular Gamma synthetic gut 16 was definitely my favorite synthetic gut.

You may want to consider multifilament strings if your elbow flares up again. They are not as soft as natural gut but way less expensive.

hrstrat57
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I think I want to stay away from the hybrids if I can. Taking an hour or two out of my week to string a racket is better than what I went through over the last year.

I do use the one with wearguard now. However I didn't think of string savers. Do they really help?

Yep huge...but use em sparingly they can change how the bed plays a bit if you put on too many....

sansaephanh
12-10-2010, 01:15 AM
I say multi hybrids are your best choice for budget. I spent my whole tennis career not knowing a thing about strings and only using syngut. After I started getting more serious hybrids became the optimal option of performance and durability. Try Lightning and big bangers. Lightning crosses and banger mains. Pretty decent feel, but not my favorite. I give it a decent durability rating. Fibergel power and prince syn gut was pretty good, but the syn moved a bit when i used a ton of ww forehands lol.

using the prince synth with duraflex in hybrids is pretty nice. Lightning is a nice alternative too. Lightning looks cool as well.

Steve Huff
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
You could also go to a thicker version, say 15L, of the synthetic. I know you might lose a little spin capability with a thicker string, but you could use a textured synthetic, like Prince Topspin 15L. Alpha UltraSpin is a good textured synthetic also, which comes in 15L. I can't swear that it will last longer, but it's worth a try. Gamma used to make one called Marathon, which was a thicker synthetic too. I can't remember if it's still available.