PDA

View Full Version : String Suggestion

Machspeed
11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Friends,
Iím a 50 year old novice tennis player that has been playing on and off for about thirty years. Over the past year my game has improved markedly and as such I have been experimenting with strings and such. After demoing many racquets, I settled for a Wilson Cobra Team FX 100 which I very much like. However, Iím struggling to find a string. When I purchased the racquet, I had it strung with Wilson NXT 17 at 57 lbs and I really loved it. Unfortunately, I blew it out after about two weeks. Subsequent string jobs with this string and same tension was no different in durability. I then had the racquet strung with Head FXP 17 and blew that out after about a month. Moreover, I didnít like the feel as much as the NXT. At ones suggestion, I had the racquet strung again with Head FXP 18 in the crosses and Big Hitter Blue Rough in the mains. This combination was terrible in every way. Moreover, I now have some serious tennis elbow and will be out for a bit. I guess what Iím asking, is there a string that performs like NXT 17 yet has more durability and wonít jack my elbow? My elbow is such now that not only am I looking into different string but also perhaps a Pro Kennex 7 or 5G. Iíve ordered both these racquets for demoing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Regards,

John

kiteboard
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Technifibre competition, Weiss canon scorpion.

goran_ace
11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
is there a string that performs like NXT 17 yet has more durability

Try NXT Max

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_NXT_Max_16_String/descpageACWILSON-NXTMAX16.html

DrpShot!
11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Tourna Quasi Gut is a more durable version of NXT. Technifibre X-1 Biphase might also work for you, its not exactly like NXT but in a class of its own and pretty durable for a multi. Stay away from polys with that arm issue. When your arm is better maybe try putting some in as a cross with natural gut or a soft multi in the mains, but avoid poly mains.

Racer41c
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Friends,
Iím a 50 year old novice tennis player that has been playing on and off for about thirty years. Over the past year my game has improved markedly and as such I have been experimenting with strings and such. After demoing many racquets, I settled for a Wilson Cobra Team FX 100 which I very much like. However, Iím struggling to find a string. When I purchased the racquet, I had it strung with Wilson NXT 17 at 57 lbs and I really loved it. Unfortunately, I blew it out after about two weeks. Subsequent string jobs with this string and same tension was no different in durability. I then had the racquet strung with Head FXP 17 and blew that out after about a month. Moreover, I didnít like the feel as much as the NXT. At ones suggestion, I had the racquet strung again with Head FXP 18 in the crosses and Big Hitter Blue Rough in the mains. This combination was terrible in every way. Moreover, I now have some serious tennis elbow and will be out for a bit. I guess what Iím asking, is there a string that performs like NXT 17 yet has more durability and wonít jack my elbow? My elbow is such now that not only am I looking into different string but also perhaps a Pro Kennex 7 or 5G. Iíve ordered both these racquets for demoing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Regards,

John

Hey John, So here's where I think you are:

1. The swing weight of your racquet will not work well with poly or a stiff string. There's not enough weight to dampen the shock so it all goes to your arm.

2. If nxt 17 is breaking too quick, I would first try 16g at a couple lbs lower in tension. Although you're going to lose some crispness, the durability should be much better.

3. If you decide to try gut, I'd recommend Pacific Classic 16. Sting it at your normal tension.

4. If your going to try different racquets, give the Babolat Pure Storm a try. I have 3 of the older model and like them alot.

mikeler
11-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Of all the strings previously mentioned, I've only tried Quasi Gut and it was just OK. The other multis listed so far are quite expensive. The softest value multi that I've found by a longshot is Mantis Comfort Synthetic. You can check out my reviews of a few other multis here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

Valjean
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
NXT Max, already mentioned, was issued as the frequent player's version of NXT, and will stand up much better for you.

It does not come in a 17 gauge, however.

As for the Pro Kennex racquet I can sell you a pair--in fact I may have three--I hardly used too, if you use a 4 5/8" grip and decide you want one. In any case, I'd advise you to drop tension by at least five lbs. when you do restring for better durability and to help the arm.

nimailni
12-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Machspeed have you tried 5g and 7g? Which string did you chose?