PDA

View Full Version : Multis Tier Rating System

parasailing
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
The list of multis that I have been testing has started to grow to the point that I have decided to simplify it by creating a tier system to rate all the various multi-filament strings I have tested so far.

This list is just a starting point for those who wish to consider the various brands out there. I am just glad I am not doing a poly rating system which hopefully someone else here on the board will tackle. :)

Tier 1

Technifibre Biphase - crisp, powerful, decent control, plays stiff first hour and then settles in nicely until it starts fraying which will cause rapid tension lost. I get about 10 hours on the string. Price has gone up to $16.

Alpha Gut 2000 - crisp, good control, decent spin, excellent value at $6. Only downside is durability lasting about 5 hours for me.

Babolat Xcel Power - soft, decent control, does not fray, and is just a consistent string. Only downside is cost at $20.

Technifibre NRG2 - crisp, good control, holds tension well. Not as powerful as X1 but doesn't fray as much and given the recent price bump might be the best value.

Kirschbaum Touch - soft, comfortable, offers good control and has great durability.

Tier 2

Tourna Irradiated - crisp, good control, but lacks durability lasting about 7 hours.

Mantis Power - soft, offers good control and power.

Volkl Gripper 17 - Comfortable, offers good spin and power but a bit difficult to string but lacks durability.

Prince Premiere LT - After a few hours of hitting, this string feels really good for control and crispness but has durability issues lasting about 7 hours.

Wilson NXT - decent power and comfort but lacks durability breaking about 7 hours.

Tourna Quasi Gut - From all the positive reviews posted so far, I hoped to be one of them but the strings are just okay. This is a soft string so if you looking for crispness or control, take a pass. Durability is good but I cut them out as I found I lost of power and control after 8 hours of hitting with it.

Tier 3

Pacific PMX - Good reviews from other users but I find this pretty average. It offers good control and is soft but doesn't offer much power and not a crisp string.

Wilson NXT Tour - This was a crisp string but I did not find it to be soft on my shoulder. I just did not like how this particular string plays.

Isospeed Professional - This offers good control but lacks power and feels muted.

Pro Supex Maxim Touch - This is the newly formulated one which is no longer available. Will retest with the classic string. It initially played decent but now feels stiff and lacks power.

Klip Venom - This offered great control but felt very stiff and hard on the arm.

GameSetMatch
11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't think you'll get any consensus on this, though I thought Mikeler in his thread made a pretty good assessment of the multis that he tried.

X1 - crazily overpowered, peculiar tension loss properties. Initially stiff, then gets loose, before tension falls off a cliff.

Mantis Power Synthetic - very powerful. Absurdly so IMO to the extent that there's a loss of control. The ball just shoots off the stringbed. Didn't feel much bite on the ball and not much access to spin.

Xcel Power - definitely frays. It's a multifilament where the mini fibres break one by one as they rub against each other over time!

mikeler
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd put Quasi Gut and Isospeed where Parasailing has them. The rest I can't comment on yet. Maybe next year I'll try and buy all those strings so I can offer a 2nd opinion.

parasailing
01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Finally had some time to string up Signum Pro Micronite and updated it to this list.

Tier 1

Technifibre Biphase - crisp, powerful, decent control, plays stiff first hour and then settles in nicely until it starts fraying which will cause rapid tension lost. I get about 10 hours on the string. Price has gone up to $16.

Alpha Gut 2000 - crisp, good control, decent spin, excellent value at $6. Only downside is durability lasting about 5 hours for me.

Babolat Xcel Power - soft, decent control and power, a very consistent string. Only downside is cost at $20.

Technifibre NRG2 - crisp, good control, holds tension well. Not as powerful as X1 but doesn't fray as much and given the recent price bump might be the best value.

Kirschbaum Touch - soft, comfortable, offers good control and has great durability.

Tier 2

Tourna Irradiated - crisp, good control, but lacks durability lasting about 7 hours.

Mantis Power - soft, offers good control and power.

Volkl Gripper 17 - Comfortable, offers good spin and power but a bit difficult to string but lacks durability.

Prince Premiere LT - After a few hours of hitting, this string feels really good for control and crispness but has durability issues lasting about 7 hours.

Wilson NXT - decent power and comfort but lacks durability breaking about 7 hours.

Tourna Quasi Gut - From all the positive reviews posted so far, I hoped to be one of them but the strings are just okay. This is a soft string so if you looking for crispness or control, take a pass. Durability is good but I cut them out as I found I lost of power and control after 8 hours of hitting with it.

Signum Pro Micronite - Initially felt stiff and harsh but after a couple of hours, strings started to settle in offering good control and decent power. So far, the string has lasted about 4 hours of hitting and string movement is minimal.

Tier 3

Pacific PMX - Good reviews from other users but I find this pretty average. It offers good control and is soft but doesn't offer much power and not a crisp string.

Wilson NXT Tour - This was a crisp string but I did not find it to be soft on my shoulder. I just did not like how this particular string plays.

Isospeed Professional - This offers good control but lacks power and feels muted.

Pro Supex Maxim Touch - This is the newly formulated one which is no longer available. Will retest with the classic string. It initially played decent but now feels stiff and lacks power.

Klip Venom - This offered great control but felt very stiff and hard on the arm.

mikeler
01-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Were all these strings the same gauge?

parasailing
01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Were all these strings the same gauge?

Yes, I tested every one at 17 gauge to ensure some sort of consistency.

Icedorb217
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes, I tested every one at 17 gauge to ensure some sort of consistency.

No wonder, I was wondering where Mantis Comfort Synthetic was!

parasailing
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
No wonder, I was wondering where Mantis Comfort Synthetic was!

I will probably test it based on the positive feedback on this forum but will not be posting to this thread unless they decide to come out with a 17 gauge version.

Kcraig
12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Parasailing or anyone else--

Thinking of trying Kirsch Touch 16 or 17 in my EXO3 16*18. Looking for a durable, soft control oriented multi that has relatively good spin potential and little string movement. Trying to get over last stretch of GE issues and colder temps moving in--so full multi is my choice. Clay cts i play on sometime are too damp for gut setups. From seeing some of the reviews/info on Kirsch TM it seems like a good fit. Thx in advance for responses--

mikeler
12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Parasailing or anyone else--

Thinking of trying Kirsch Touch 16 or 17 in my EXO3 16*18. Looking for a durable, soft control oriented multi that has relatively good spin potential and little string movement. Trying to get over last stretch of GE issues and colder temps moving in--so full multi is my choice. Clay cts i play on sometime are too damp for gut setups. From seeing some of the reviews/info on Kirsch TM it seems like a good fit. Thx in advance for responses--

What the heck, this thread was given 1 star! I bumped it up to 3.

Definitely would like to hear about your thoughts on the string and see if they match up with Parasailing.

sphinx780
12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Any one taking the time to review deserves more stars. Looks like I bumped it to four.

Thanks for putting this thread up OP!

KCraig, I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts once you try K Touch too.

Up&comer
12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I thought mantis power was a synthetic.

Regardless, a good thread. Definitely not 1 star.

Kcraig
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
First will be doing a comparison between old Thunderblast vs the "new" Thunderblast tonight. May be a couple weeks before i can get to Kirsch Touch. But the string definately has me interested. :)

Ramon
12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for posting your experiences with these strings. I never heard about Kirschbaum Touch, but maybe I should try it out. Comfort and durability are high on my list.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't like Xcel? That seems to be high on everyone's list. Someone I know who's a former touring pro uses Xcel. He says he never breaks it, and I should try it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Uvijek Argen
12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for posting your experiences with these strings. I never heard about Kirschbaum Touch, but maybe I should try it out. Comfort and durability are high on my list.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't like Xcel? That seems to be high on everyone's list. Someone I know who's a former touring pro uses Xcel. He says he never breaks it, and I should try it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Yep, for $10.00 more you can get yourself Tonic (ball feel) and will play and last 7x more than multis.
Unless you hit with heavy topspin like 89% of the players in this forum.
I mix spin with flat shots so it last forevah(full bed natural gut).

PS. Where in Florida are you locate it?

Ramon
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Yep, for $10.00 more you can get yourself Tonic (ball feel) and will play and last 7x more than multis.
Unless you hit with heavy topspin like 89% of the players in this forum.
I mix spin with flat shots so it last forevah(full bed natural gut).

PS. Where in Florida are you locate it?

Believe me, when the price gets close to $20, I start thinking about gut. It's a good thing you can get decent quality gut for about $26 because it puts a ceiling on what companies charge for premium multis.

However, I also know that gut is not without its drawbacks. I have vivid memories of seeing other players' gut strings break on their own due to the weather. I remember seeing someone play about an hour after the string job was done (a big mistake), and then his strings lost ALL tension.

I hit with heavy spin and break strings often, just like almost everyone else on this forum. The guy I know who is a former touring pro doesn't hit with lots of spin, so he doesn't break strings as often. Nevertheless, he could be using VS Gut if he wanted, but he chooses Xcel. He likes how it plays and it lasts him a long time. I tried VS Gut a long time ago, and I know it lasted me longer than the Technifibre string I used after that, but it still frayed, and monofilament nylon lasted longer. I definitely would not say it lasted 7x as long as multi. It was closer to 2x.

Uvijek Argen
12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Believe me, when the price gets close to $20, I start thinking about gut. It's a good thing you can get decent quality gut for about $26 because it puts a ceiling on what companies charge for premium multis.

However, I also know that gut is not without its drawbacks. I have vivid memories of seeing other players' gut strings break on their own due to the weather. I remember seeing someone play about an hour after the string job was done (a big mistake), and then his strings lost ALL tension.

I hit with heavy spin and break strings often, just like almost everyone else on this forum. The guy I know who is a former touring pro doesn't hit with lots of spin, so he doesn't break strings as often. Nevertheless, he could be using VS Gut if he wanted, but he chooses Xcel. He likes how it plays and it lasts him a long time. I tried VS Gut a long time ago, and I know it lasted me longer than the Technifibre string I used after that, but it still frayed, and monofilament nylon lasted longer. I definitely would not say it lasted 7x as long as multi. It was closer to 2x.

Hahaha, yeah I was a little exaggerating about 7x, but for me, yes..it last somehow long time, past a month for sure.
But yeah, if you break string often,better just get a decent multi for the price and string as much as you want to.

In regard weather, living here in Orlando, I haven't seeing too much difference in the behavior of the string. I guess the coatings lately are so heavy that doesn't bother like a few years ago.

Anyhow, sorry for the derailing and carry on. ;-)