PDA

View Full Version : Large grommet holes cause loosening?

Window
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I was playing with a Prince O3 Hybrid Hornet midsize for a while and I quite liked playing with it. However, I would find that the strings would lose tension rather quickly and would change how I needed to hit after a short time. I would have to restring way too often. I started playing with an old model Babolat and saw that the same strings lasted and lasted.

I'm a solid 4.0 (maybe 4.5) who doesn't have a massively big stroke and my stroke certainly didn't change from when I was using other racquets whose strings didn't loosen so fast.

Could it be that those large grommet holes on the Prince racquets cause strings tension loss much sooner than smaller holes? I am eyeing a different Prince XO3, but am hesitant to buy because of this. Any ideas out there?

Virtua Tennis
11-20-2010, 12:25 AM
If you don't install the string properly on a O racquet it will feel or be looser than what you want. I have noticed though that O racquets are designed to have a more flexible string bed. So what you're feeling maybe a soft string bed so in your head you think the strings are loose.

Window
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
It's not in my head when the strings are tight for a couple of days and then start moving around, needing readjustment between points. I know all strings lose tension based on how hard you hit and over time, but if other racquets don't lose tension as quickly with the same hitting I'm doing, doesn't it mean that this racquet is losing it for another reason?