PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "Breakin" for newly strung rackets

kenshireen
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I just strung my racket at 60 pounds and went out within 1/2 hour.
It is micro 17G and it feels rather boardy...

Do the strings have a break in period.
I know the pros pop them out of the bag and start to play...

ewcrider
11-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, strings do have a "break in" period. After being strung, the stringbed can loose somewhere around 10% of its tension overnight, even without playing with the racket. This number depends on the actual string, and can vary quite a bit based on composition. If you typically wait a day or so before playing, you may be used to a different tension than you think.

As far as the pros go, they play with freshly strung rackets, and for generally less than 10 games before switching. Some may get strung the morning of a match or practice, while some may get strung the night before. The most important thing for them is consistency.

freshtennis
11-19-2010, 04:26 PM
sure is ......

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I just strung my racket at 60 pounds and went out within 1/2 hour.
It is micro 17G and it feels rather boardy...

Do the strings have a break in period.
I know the pros pop them out of the bag and start to play...

My Signum Pro Poly Plasma felt like crap in the first week, But after felt like God!
I couldn't serve with it at all but after a while was bombing them over :shock:

nvottennis
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
My Signum Pro Poly Plasma felt like crap in the first week, But after felt like God!
I couldn't serve with it at all but after a while was bombing them over :shock:
YOu could have also just changed during the period to adapt to the string, in which case thats completely irrevleant to the op's question

TimothyO
11-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Absolutely!

I've found that sting type, tension, and, in hybrids, relative sting characteristics and tension are all factors. Sometimes a setup will perform horribly and then settle into something more attractive. In other cases things may work initially and then turn out not so good.

Key lesson: with any setup be patient. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a full session for a setup to reveal its nature. Even then it will likely continue to change over time.

In fact, sting performance remind me of wine! :) Time is essential!

tlm
11-19-2010, 08:08 PM
To me there is nothing like a new string job.I dont notice a big difference if i play with it right after stringing or the next day.

Strings like kevlar play better with age.But other than that new strings cant be matched.I string once a week before every league match, then i will use that racket for practice.

If you dont restring often i dont think most people notice how much difference there is.You can not match the bite, spin+control that new strings give you.