PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Recommend Alternative to...

TimothyO
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
After lots of experimentation I've settled on the following setup for my (now) favorite racquet:

Racquet: Power Bridge 10 Mid modified with additional mass at 3/9 and at handle. Total mass 12.9 oz (very head light).

Main: VS Touch 16 @ 50 pounds

Cross: Xcel Premium 17 @ 52 pounds

Objectives: max comfort, even more control/spin potential, low power. (lower cost nice too, but I'm not going to worry about that)

To further enhance the above objectives (comfort, control/spin, low power) what would you recommend?

In playing around with various strings I've found my limit on string stiffness is roughly 170-ish. However, after learning that paper specs differ from actual performance and having read many posts on Mantis Comfort 16 I've ordered a pack and look forward to testing it.

The racquet choice is fixed (I've spent enough demoing and buying racquets!). Mass distribution, string selection, and tension are all open to recommendation. I arrived at this configuration based on the many excellent comments by forum members and TW's research, so your opinion is greatly valued!

Tim

nvottennis
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
possibly switch out the multi for a nice, textured poly for some spin?

TimothyO
11-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Would a textured poly in the crosses do much for spin? Not sure. Might also increase string-sting friction and according to TW's recent research ball-sting friction is less important than string-string friction for spin (and they say low string-string friction is better).

Based on various factors I've ordered some more Pacific Prime 16 (main) and some Dynamite Soft 18 (crosses). I've tried Prime previously with TNT Rx and didn't like the result. Maybe at a lower tension and with the Dynamite Soft it might work better.

tennisfreak565
11-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Sounds like you want comfort and spin so I would go with still gut in mains and Solinco Barb Wire in the crosses. Barb Wire is supposed to give alot of spin( maybe even more then tour bite but i haven't tried barb wire yet) and still supposed to be a comfortable poly. It also gives good control and pop, you just have to get by the plasticky feel...