PDA

View Full Version : What is the problem with the stringer I use?

levy1
11-20-2010, 04:26 AM
I use a lot of string experimenting. Probably restrung 25 times in the last 6 months trying poly, different tensions and different strings.

When I was using my Vantage 95s I bought 2 packages of Klip Explosive. Poly/Gut. Looking at the TW test results they tested it both ways. Gut in mains and crosses. I asked the stringer to string my two rackets both ways. He calls me back and say he cannot do it because the gut is only 18feet and he needs 20 ft to do the mains so the gut can only go in the crosses.

I have changed to Wilson BLX pro open 100 rackets. Last week I asked him to string global gut with poly I had ordered. I wanted one racket with the gut in the mains and one with gut in the crosses. He calls me back and says the global gut is only 18 feet and cut in two pieces and cannot be used for the mains as he needs 20 feet for the mains.

I do not get it please explain!
thanks

jjs891
11-20-2010, 04:59 AM
I have Vantage 95 and 18' is long enough to string the mains. I string it myself.

SlapShot
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
If the stringer is using a dropweight with a gripper like the Gamma X-2 or similar, 18' may not be enough. For something with a linear gripper, 18' should be enough.

jim e
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Although I never used or ordered Global gut, their web site specifies that it comes in 2- 22' sections. Maybe someone who has ordered it that posts here can verify this for you, as I know many here use that string.

levy1
11-20-2010, 03:42 PM
he is using a new prince electric stringer

pvaudio
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Global gut comes in two 21' sections. I have 6 packets sitting next to me.

nvottennis
11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
He probably lies so that he can do whats easiest for him

Ambivalent
11-20-2010, 07:42 PM
He probably lies so that he can do whats easiest for him

That makes no sense because it's far easier stringing gut in the mains and not worrying about blocked grommet holes.

g4driver
11-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I have the same racquets you have, three of them in fact, and I string my own frames on an Alpha Apex 2 (linear gripper). I'll string one of my Pro Opens tomorrow and measure the leftover mains for you. I start with 20' on mains, since I always hybrid my frames and simply cut the strings in half when stringing.

I am guessing I will have at least 2' feet left over, so if the gut you are using only comes in 18', he might be right. Other TT members on here have state the string comes in 21' or 22' sections. If that's the case, just find someone else to string for you.

If I forget to post the results tomorrow, send me a PM.

brownbearfalling
11-21-2010, 04:19 AM
He is probably just taking precautions. Especially with gut you don't want to have to untension it because there isn't enough string to finish the job. Untensioning it will ruin the string by damaging it and breaking in the elasticity of it. If anything I would say that you have a careful stringer which is a good thing. Maybe he just does not have much experience with klip explosive or gut in general.

But if you can re assure him that it is enough string you can have it done with gut mains. I have never had any problems with retail packages not having enough string.I've strung with Wilsons champions choice and it has enough gut and poly to go both ways. You can try that out if you would like.

pvaudio
11-21-2010, 06:41 AM
He is probably just taking precautions. Especially with gut you don't want to have to untension it because there isn't enough string to finish the job. Untensioning it will ruin the string by damaging it and breaking in the elasticity of it. If anything I would say that you have a careful stringer which is a good thing. Maybe he just does not have much experience with klip explosive or gut in general.

But if you can re assure him that it is enough string you can have it done with gut mains. I have never had any problems with retail packages not having enough string.I've strung with Wilsons champions choice and it has enough gut and poly to go both ways. You can try that out if you would like.Trust me, the stringer is not being careful, he just sounds like he doesn't want to be liable for anything AKA he doesn't want to string gut because he knows it's expensive. Global gut (which, if any of you are wondering, is the same as the unmarked "natural gut strings" on **** that all have the same picture. the guy just takes a sharpie to the global gut sticker that came on the packet when he bought it at super cheap promo pricing) comes in 2 21' sections.

fluffy Beaver
11-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Trust me, the stringer is not being careful, he just sounds like he doesn't want to be liable for anything AKA he doesn't want to string gut because he knows it's expensive.

Wouldn't that classify as being careful??? LOL

And he is offering to at least put it in the crosses, just not the mains. So in the end he is still considering to string it :shock:

pvaudio
11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't that classify as being careful??? LOL

And he is offering to at least put it in the crosses, just not the mains. So in the end he is still considering to string it :shock:
That's not customer care, that's self-preservation. The string is plenty long enough; I've strung it quite a few times in different frames.

pheonix6579
11-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree...with his stringer there is plenty of room left for you string job.

Sounds like his "self preservation" would lead me to try and find a different stringer or learn to string my own frames.

pvaudio
11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
The latter is my opinionated solution :)

Valjean
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
....I do not get it please explain!
thanks
How cooperative has he been? Why not ask him now why he is doing that?

JavierLW
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I use the KProOpen which I believe is the same string pattern as the BoLLoX ProOpen, and I had my stringer use Global Gut all the time.

I believe it's 20 feet each or more possibly.

Ive strung it myself now 3 times as well and just used it in the mains and I had plenty of string left.

desertgeezer
11-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I use a lot of string experimenting. Probably restrung 25 times in the last 6 months trying poly, different tensions and different strings.

When I was using my Vantage 95s I bought 2 packages of Klip Explosive. Poly/Gut. Looking at the TW test results they tested it both ways. Gut in mains and crosses. I asked the stringer to string my two rackets both ways. He calls me back and say he cannot do it because the gut is only 18feet and he needs 20 ft to do the mains so the gut can only go in the crosses.

I have changed to Wilson BLX pro open 100 rackets. Last week I asked him to string global gut with poly I had ordered. I wanted one racket with the gut in the mains and one with gut in the crosses. He calls me back and says the global gut is only 18 feet and cut in two pieces and cannot be used for the mains as he needs 20 feet for the mains.

I do not get it please explain!
thanks

25 times in 6 months? Dude, do you ever actually go out and play tennis. And did I read this right; you pay someone to do your stringing? Jeez. Who has that kind of money?