PDA

View Full Version : Is it dumb to string natural gut at 55#?

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I just left my YTPP (flex rating = 67) with the stringer. I asked him to put a full bed of Bab VS at 55#, mainly because I didn't know any better.
But this tension should be okay, right?

Or, should I call him back and ask, if he hasn't started yet, for him to string it nearer to, or above, 60# instead?

This will be my 1st time trying nat gut, so I've got no baseline for comparison. Thanks :)

beststringer
11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I just left my YTPP (flex rating = 67) with the stringer. I asked him to put a full bed of Bab VS at 55#, mainly because I didn't know any better.
But this tension should be okay, right?

Or, should I call him back and ask, if he hasn't started yet, for him to string it nearer to, or above, 60# instead?

This will be my 1st time trying nat gut, so I've got no baseline for comparison. Thanks :)

call him back and tell him to do 60.

freshtennis
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
no? personal preference.
should be okay, but i think most people like it tight or tighter

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
call him back and tell him to do 60.

How come? What's the perceived benefit of that?

njsigman
11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
You won't be able to keep it on the court at 55#. Take it up to 60. Don't make the same mistake I did!

rudester
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Depends what you are used to, I can string my microgel prestige mid, with 18x20 pattern with that tension, and its ok. the ytpp is an open string pattern. So it is going to be a bit more powerful than my prestige mid, that is the other issue to consider, with a larger head size you are going to want the tension a bit tighter also, for instance if your ytpp is a midplus vs a mid. Also if you gave info as to which string you have been using and the tension, this would provide a baseline to those who might respond to your post.

tennisnoob3
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
How come? What's the perceived benefit of that?

whats the issue of strining at 55? ive heard stories about some gut snapping when it gets around 60 or 60+

freshtennis
11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
whats the issue of strining at 55? ive heard stories about some gut snapping when it gets around 60 or 60+

probably the lower grade brand natural guts, wont happen with vs natural gut. pretty sure sampras strung his in high 70s? roddick does his around 60-75?

li0scc0
11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
55# will be absolutely fine. McEnroe used natural gut strung far lower, and he seemed able to keep it in the court. Federer hybrids with natural gut, and the gut is strung lower than 55#.

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM
probably the lower grade brand natural guts, wont happen with vs natural gut. pretty sure sampras strung his in high 70s? roddick does his around 60-75?

I hope you're right, because I just got off the phone with the stringer and asked her to do it at 62#. The only other concern that I could justify having now would be due to the weather: I play outdoors exclusively here in Seattle where the temperature today was 36 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope the cold doesn't add to gut strings breaking prematurely.

beststringer
11-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I hope you're right, because I just got off the phone with the stringer and asked her to do it at 62#. The only other concern that I could justify having now would be due to the weather: I play outdoors exclusively here in Seattle where the temperature today was 36 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope the cold doesn't add to gut strings breaking prematurely.

if u break strings a lot, ask him to use a 16 gauge.

gut is powerful. if u switched from some poly or stiff syn gut, u would prob enjoy the higher tension more.

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 05:58 PM
if u break strings a lot, ask him to use a 16 gauge.

gut is powerful. if u switched from some poly or stiff syn gut, u would prob enjoy the higher tension more.

I cut out the last two string jobs before the strings broke. The first job was hybrid Sonic Pro/Prince syn-gut at 50#, and the second was Red Code/Prince s/g Duraflex at 45#. Didn't particularly enjoy either. Being tired of 'experimenting' w/different setups, I was ready to try full nat gut. For what it's worth, my fav setup all-time was full bed Red Code at 32#--I just hope the nat gut plays equally well if not better.

freshtennis
11-20-2010, 05:59 PM

roddick and sampras use/used vs at 75lbs,

you want 62, should be perfectly fine.

scotus
11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I string my VS Team (that is 17 gauges) at 72 lbs all the time.

Even though the maximum tension stated is 62 lbs, it will withstand tensions above 70. That is quality, my friends.

With cheaper guts, you'd better stay 5 lbs below the maximum tension, and they may still snap on you.

Azzurri
11-20-2010, 06:17 PM
55# will be absolutely fine. McEnroe used natural gut strung far lower, and he seemed able to keep it in the court. Federer hybrids with natural gut, and the gut is strung lower than 55#.

that's Mac and Fed. 55# is a bit low interms of controlling the power.

scotus
11-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Remember Fed uses a smaller frame. I don't know what Mac uses now, but his old Max 200G may have been even smaller than the Pro Staff 85.

Isn't Youtek Prestige Pro a 98-sq-in frame?

50 lbs on a 85-sq-in frame is equivalent to about 62-65 lbs on a 98-sq-in frame in terms of stringbed stiffness.

beststringer
11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I cut out the last two string jobs before the strings broke. The first job was hybrid Sonic Pro/Prince syn-gut at 50#, and the second was Red Code/Prince s/g Duraflex at 45#. Didn't particularly enjoy either. Being tired of 'experimenting' w/different setups, I was ready to try full nat gut. For what it's worth, my fav setup all-time was full bed Red Code at 32#--I just hope the nat gut plays equally well if not better.

Gut at 55 or 60 won't give you the wicked slices or the "oh **** it painted the line" topspin shots. But it will give more feel to some shots that require more string feedback. e.g. drop shots or some wide doubles slice approach shots.

Don't expect too much from VS gut from the initial hits. Else you will disappoint yourself.

DeShaun
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Gut at 55 or 60 won't give you the wicked slices or the "oh **** it painted the line" topspin shots. But it will give more feel to some shots that require more string feedback. e.g. drop shots or some wide doubles slice approach shots.

Don't expect too much from VS gut from the initial hits. Else you will disappoint yourself.

Good, because what I've been looking for recently is better control over my volleys and drop shots. I only hope that this setup doesn't detract too much from my serve, which, meager as it may be when compared to the next guy's, it is still my best stroke on which I have put in the most work.

beststringer
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Good, because what I've been looking for recently is better control over my volleys and drop shots. I only hope that this setup doesn't detract too much from my serve, which, meager as it may be when compared to the next guy's, it is still my best stroke on which I have put in the most work.

i served best with 18 g fullbed poly. Gut allowed me to serve some better angles.

life is short. it's always fun to experiment :) Enjoy and have fun!

Valjean
11-21-2010, 04:49 AM
While 55 may have been too low too, I think 62 lbs. is high for what you were used to, and the stringbed's going to play tight too in that 36-degree weather you have. It may take a while to get the stringbed right; I'd review it at three weeks of play.