PDA

View Full Version : Strings for an old guy

slopoke
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I have arm issues and am searching for the perfect string setup for my pair of Volkl 2008 C 10 Pro. I believe that natural gut is the answer but unlike the federal government, I must stay within a budget. For reasons of $$ I will stay away from the better known and more expensive main lines of gut. I'm leaning toward having Unifibre in the mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic in the crosses. I will appreciate your comments and suggestions.
slopoke

Kirko
11-21-2010, 12:05 AM
unifibre is bleak ! not worth the aggravation in stringing eg. breaks a lot and "nicks & burns while stringing. I'm an old guy too and I just bite the bullet and use VS Gut when I use gut, right now I'm using Wilson NXT Control which is easy on the arm or the old stand-by prn. syn. gut 17 GA original (gold). hope this helps

slopoke
11-21-2010, 02:33 AM
The following conclusions are based on posts on this forum.
Unifibre is the same as Global.
It is made in India and marketed by an outfit in Huntington Beach, CA.
Quality control is nowhere near VS.
It costs about $30 less per set than VS.
It is a chore to string.
Stringing only the mains is far easier than doing mains and crosses.
Using care in stringing and keeping the tension below 60 reduces breaking to a reasonable level.
Comfort and performance is superior to multi strings.
I'd appreciate comments from those who have used it.

kevoT
11-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Original prince synthetic gut.

Valjean
11-21-2010, 04:35 AM
The following conclusions are based on posts on this forum.
Unifibre is the same as Global.
It is made in India and marketed by an outfit in Huntington Beach, CA.
Quality control is nowhere near VS.
It costs about $30 less per set than VS.
It is a chore to string.
Stringing only the mains is far easier than doing mains and crosses.
Using care in stringing and keeping the tension below 60 reduces breaking to a reasonable level.
Comfort and performance is superior to multi strings.
I'd appreciate comments from those who have used it.
IMO, sorry, but this is a dead end. The only natural gut string worth your dollars below Babolat's VS--from a control standpoint alone, too--can be Pacific's $26.95 Classic Gut (which even comes in a delightful 16L). Trust me, the general lack of durability and erratic quality makes every other natural gut out at best a random, total crap shoot, at this point in time... This string field has been mined to a fare-thee-well; there are just no actual better "deals" to be had.

redfist1000
11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Wilson Nxt feels nice

mikeler
11-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Why not try a full job of Mantis Comfort Synthetic? I've been using it for the past few weeks and have had zero arm problems with it. It's much softer than any other synthetic string I've tried. The durability is not the best but that is really the only downside for me.

jim e
11-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Why not try a full job of Mantis Comfort Synthetic? I've been using it for the past few weeks and have had zero arm problems with it. It's much softer than any other synthetic string I've tried. The durability is not the best but that is really the only downside for me.

mikeler is correct... Mantis Comfort Syn. is a very comfortable string. Try it as a full set up.I just received a free set last month from the USRSA, and tried it out. Very comfortable. The price sheet that came with it was very inexpensive of a string as well. Worth a try, although I still prefer VS nat. gut as since I am a realtively flat ball hitter, I'm not much of a string breaker, so the gut lasts a long time, and therefore very economical as well, as nat. gut unlike any synthetic string plays well until it breaks.

mikeler
11-21-2010, 10:18 AM
mikeler is correct... Mantis Comfort Syn. is a very comfortable string. Try it as a full set up.I just received a free set last month from the USRSA, and tried it out. Very comfortable. The price sheet that came with it was very inexpensive of a string as well. Worth a try, although I still prefer VS nat. gut as since I am a realtively flat ball hitter, I'm not much of a string breaker, so the gut lasts a long time, and therefore very economical as well, as nat. gut unlike any synthetic string plays well until it breaks.

Here on TW, if you buy a reel of the Mantis Comfort it comes out to just over $5 per racket. This is very cheap for such a high quality string.

SteveI
11-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Hi,

Have to agree with this as well. If you are not a big hitter, spin player... string breaker.. Nat gut may well provide you the best price performace of any string.. not to mention arm safety. Does not Pacfic offer a decent Nat gut for $25.00?

scotus
11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Like others have said, quality gut like VS makes a lot of sense not only in terms of playability but also in terms of finances.

For me, VS lasts 3 to 4 times as long as synthetic gut, so it actually ends up being cheaper when you consider the labor cost.

I would highly recommend full gut or VS mains and head rip control crosses. I have not tried the mantis but that sounds good, too.

slopoke
11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I think VS goes for about $42.....shipping about $5......stringer's fee $15....total around $62...total for two racquets about $120. If only I could print money like the government....

Parker512
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Mantis comfort synthetic is told to be the softest string out on the market synthetic wise.

njsigman
11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Try Tecnifibre X One Biphase...

Valjean
11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I think VS goes for about $42.....shipping about $5......stringer's fee $15....total around $62...total for two racquets about $120. If only I could print money like the government....
Except I believe you'd said you intended to install a natural gut-nylon hybrid--which should come to ~$40 each if you employ VS, and ~$30 if you went the Pacific Classic route too... Pacific's Classic Gut sells for $26.95 a set, as I said...

Netspirit
11-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Pacific Prime is softer than VS. Not much cheaper though.

slopoke
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Mantis comfort synthetic is told to be the softest string out on the market synthetic wise.
I thank everyone who has responded to this thread. For those who have hit with Mantis Comfort Synthetic, how is it for control, string movement, etc?

scotus
11-21-2010, 03:58 PM

You are missing the point.

For me, VS lasts 3-4 times as long as Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex.

So let's do the math.

VS: $42 + labor $15 = $57. (Now in your previous calculation, many places will give you free shipping if you order 2 sets of VS).

Prince Synthetic Gut (3 sets): $15 + labor $45 = $60.
When VS lasts 4 times as long, it is even more economical: $57 VS as opposed to $79 PSGD.

You see how VS is more economical, and it plays a whole lot better for the duration of its life.

Now if you were to hybrid VS mains with rip control or mantis cross, then the savings are even bigger for the VS hybrid.

slopoke
11-21-2010, 04:08 PM
You are missing the point.

For me, VS lasts 3-4 times as long as Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex.

So let's do the math.

VS: $42 + labor $15 = $57. (Now in your previous calculation, many places will give you free shipping if you order 2 sets of VS).

Prince Synthetic Gut (3 sets): $15 + labor $45 = $60.
When VS lasts 4 times as long, it is even more economical: $57 VS as opposed to $79 PSGD.

You see how VS is more economical, and it plays a whole lot better for the duration of its life.

Now if you were to hybrid VS mains with rip control or mantis cross, then the savings are even bigger for the VS hybrid.
You make a very convincing argument. Here's a another issue for your consideration. Here in FL high humidity is commonplace and sometimes we play after a shower or excessive watering has caused the Har-Tru to be damp. Will moisture ruin natural gut strings?

mikeler
11-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I thank everyone who has responded to this thread. For those who have hit with Mantis Comfort Synthetic, how is it for control, string movement, etc?

String movement is bad for me on the outer mains but I think that has more to do with my racket. Why anyone would pick a string based on this is always surprising to me but many on these boards have a hangup with that. Bottom line: the strings will not stay locked into place.

Control is top notch. My serve has really improved with this string. I can hit the corners on the first serve and keep it close enough to the sidelines on my 2nd kick serve that I'm no longer getting my 2nd serve bashed by a couple of the really good returners down at my club. Touch is also excellent with this string. The power level is low, but if you have a big swing this string is perfect.

I tried natural gut 20 years ago and it broke in the 2nd set during a humid summer day. The coatings are supposed to be better now, but I'd rather pay my $5. My heavy spin game is tough on all strings. The Mantis only gives me 5 to 8 sets, but I string my own so no labor charges to worry about.

mawashi
11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I live in someplace really warm and humid too. It's quite bad here and once I left my stick in the bag with sweaty grips... 2 weeks later I found the natural gut had snapped in the bag :(

I found head rip control really comfy but of all the syn gut I've tried, one of the best is Pacific Premium Power X.

mawashi

Valjean
11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
....Will moisture ruin natural gut strings?
If you saturate it enough (don't use it in those downpours you seem to prefer to play in now, IOW), sure it would. But nowadays the coatings adequately protect it otherwise.

mikeler
11-22-2010, 05:30 AM
I live in someplace really warm and humid too. It's quite bad here and once I left my stick in the bag with sweaty grips... 2 weeks later I found the natural gut had snapped in the bag :(

I found head rip control really comfy but of all the syn gut I've tried, one of the best is Pacific Premium Power X.

mawashi

Head RIP Control is better for spin than the Mantis but nowhere near as soft.

scotus
11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
You make a very convincing argument. Here's a another issue for your consideration. Here in FL high humidity is commonplace and sometimes we play after a shower or excessive watering has caused the Har-Tru to be damp. Will moisture ruin natural gut strings?

The coating on VS is excellent. I have played in mild rain and it did not seem to affect the string at all.

Having said this, it is relatively dry where I live, so you just have to try it out for yourself and see if it works.

What I would do in your case is have one frame strung with full synthetic for those wet/damp situations.

scotus
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I tried natural gut 20 years ago and it broke in the 2nd set during a humid summer day. The coatings are supposed to be better now, but I'd rather pay my $5. My heavy spin game is tough on all strings. The Mantis only gives me 5 to 8 sets, but I string my own so no labor charges to worry about.

I had the same experience about 20 years ago. I was a teenager with not much money, but I saved up to get this expensive VS gut job. I guess I was looking for something akin to a religious experience.

Well, mine broke in 2 sets, and I strung it too low to get a good idea about how gut played.

I swore never to buy gut again ...

... until some years ago when someone told me how durable gut had become due to an advance in coating technology.

Since then, I have been using gut on all my mains at least. For practice frames, I use full gut. For match frames, gut mains and soft poly crosses.

Life is too short to play tennis with bad strings. Get gut.

mikeler
11-22-2010, 11:51 AM
I had the same experience about 20 years ago. I was a teenager with not much money, but I saved up to get this expensive VS gut job. I guess I was looking for something akin to a religious experience.

Well, mine broke in 2 sets, and I strung it too low to get a good idea about how gut played.

I swore never to buy gut again ...

... until some years ago when someone told me how durable gut had become due to an advance in coating technology.

Since then, I have been using gut on all my mains at least. For practice frames, I use full gut. For match frames, gut mains and soft poly crosses.

Life is too short to play tennis with bad strings. Get gut.

I don't like high powered strings otherwise I might consider it again.

scotus
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't like high powered strings otherwise I might consider it again.

Wonder why Sampras strung those at 70-some lbs?

That controls the power.

VS can withstand tensions above 70 lbs.

Valjean
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM

That controls the power.

Well, within reason; remember at the French Open he was fond of packing his "weapon" in dry ice, and he did tube the center four mains--at both ends. He also relied on a pretty dense string pattern and small racquet head. Those things helped him....

mikeler
11-22-2010, 12:13 PM

That controls the power.

I'm happy with my current setup. Maybe one day I'll give gut another shot strung very high.

scotus
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm happy with my current setup. Maybe one day I'll give gut another shot strung very high.

Well, if you are happy with your current setup, that's all that matters. More power to you.

scotus
11-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, within reason; remember at the French Open he was fond of packing his "weapon" in dry ice, and he did tube the center four mains--at both ends. He also relied on a pretty dense string pattern and small racquet head. Those things helped him....

True, although I might add that the coating technology seems even better now.

Also, I should add that I only string VS Team at 72 lbs contant pull. The highest I ever went was 73. Can't personally speak of any tension higher than that.

radigan
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Try Tecnifibre X One Biphase...

I second this recommendation. Nice all around plus easy to string.

Rabbit
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
IMO, sorry, but this is a dead end. The only natural gut string worth your dollars below Babolat's VS--from a control standpoint alone, too--can be Pacific's $26.95 Classic Gut (which even comes in a delightful 16L). Trust me, the general lack of durability and erratic quality makes every other natural gut out at best a random, total crap shoot, at this point in time... This string field has been mined to a fare-thee-well; there are just no actual better "deals" to be had.

I agree with this 100%. When I played gut in the C10, I used Pacific Classic strung at 61 on a lockout and 55 on a Wise (later). Classic is by far your best playing gut for the money.

The 16 gauge will last longer than any synthetic and if you use string savers, unbelievably long. I too live in the deep South and have never had any issues with humidity adversely affecting Classic. It is a quality gut and well worth the money.

If you find the 16 gauge lasts long enough, then move down in gauge to the 16L until you find the mix of playability and economy that you're looking for.

mctennis
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with Rabbit. I've played in some awful humid conditions and never had an issue with gut. I also really like the Pacific 16L Tough Gut. One of the nicest guts I've ever used. I've used them all by now. ( thus another old guy adding his 2 cents worth of useless knowledge here) This is my string of choice now.

scotus
11-23-2010, 01:39 AM
For economy gut, my vote is on Pacific Classic as well.

It beats Klip Legend hands down.

slopoke
11-23-2010, 03:31 AM
I thank everyone who has posted. I appreciate your expert advice.
slopoke

gameboy
11-23-2010, 07:02 AM
I have used a lot of different guts from Global to VS and I am sticking with Klip Legend. It is only $25/set here and if you order three at a time you get free shipping.

There is nothing like a natural gut, I don't care how soft a synth is, it will be nothing like a gut.

Is VS nicer than Klip? Yes. Is it almost 2X nicer? In my opinion, firmly no.

I use this an analogy all the time - going from a synth to gut is like going from a Camry to a Corvette - you can't really compare. Going from cheaper gut to VS is like going from a Corvette to a Ferrari - sure it is nicer, but performance wise you are not missing much.

mikeler
11-23-2010, 10:44 AM
For those of you that string natural gut very high, what kind of durability do you get? Unless I go to poly or kevlar, I typically get less than 10 sets out of most synthetics and multis.

parasailing
11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Biphase X1 is good but like all others have said, natural gut is the best especially for arm issues. Even cheap gut plays better than most multis although it is a pain to string especially in the crosses.