PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a nylon or synt gut int he crosses, with Tornado in the mains

Magox
11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi, any suggestions for a good nylon or synt gut for crosses?? I use SP Tornado in the mains. My priorities in order: Feel, Power, Durability,Cost, control, Tension stab..
I use a Prince ozone seven, 4.5 player.

Any ideas? :)

pheonix6579
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Easy choices would be Prince Syn. gut with Duraflex, or Gosen OG Micro. Both 16g.

nickarnold2000
11-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty happy using Forten Sweet as a cross.

kiteboard
11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty happy using Forten Sweet as a cross.

Try it.............

nickarnold2000
11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Try it.............
Huh????? I already am using it!! :confused:

The Big Kahuna
11-22-2010, 08:31 AM
√ Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro 16 String 8.95 / no reels available
An innovative structure of high elastic multifilament and our exclusive "Power-Spin Coating" that will generate superior spin while maintaining the response and feel of natural gut. A distinctive "Pre-Stretch" method combined with double winding nylon wraps helps maintain string tension and optimizes playability. Noted: Stringforum reports that string plays well at lower tensions (51#). Pro version stiffer with more control.

√ Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 String 9.00 / 99.00 reel
MANTIS Comfort Synthetic has been specifically developed to provide a soft string with gut like feel and playability whilst the special double coating enhances durability. Thousands of micro fibres are compressed and then nano coated to provide a core with superb feel. This is covered with highly durable monofilaments before the string is coated by a special elastic resin bonding process.

√ Tourna Quasi Gut String 17 8.06 / 99.00 reel
RSI reviewed: Our playtest team found Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 impressive even for a soft nylon, giving it ratings in the top 20 in four separate categories: 5th overall for Touch/Feel, 6th overall (tie) for Playability, 7th overall (tie) for Comfort, and 11th overall (tie) for Power. Bolstering these results are the teams’ well-above-average ratings for Tourna Quasi-Gut for Control, Spin Potential, and Tension Retention. As a result, Unique Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 is tied for 16th overall out of the 140 strings we’ve playtested to date for publication. Additionally, our playtest team told us that Tourna Quasi-Gut 16 doesn’t sacrifice playability for durability or vice versa.

The Big Kahuna
11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Here were my two best playtests with TORNADO in the mains. I ended up using MANTIS COMFORT in the crosses - and LOVE it, so far.

Mains: 46/50 Signum Pro Tornado 17 (1.23) / Mantis Comfort 17g in the Crosses
Power: A-
Control: A
Feel: A
Comfort: A
Spin: A-
Tension Stability: A
OVERALL: A
Starting RA 52 / after 2 hrs RA 48
Great blend of spin, power, and comfort. Buttery, solid, with lots of feel. AWESOME! Plays soft and cushioned like gut with similar spin potential. Signum Pro Tornado Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. - lively and explosive. Mantis Comfort added good touch and precision. Closest comparison is to MSV Pro HEX 17. Good for hybrids as the main string, however the cross string should not be too thin, otherwise it will be sawed by the Tornado. My recommendation: Don't string too high (decrease tension by 10%). Provides a bit better feel than the Black Code. Additionally, I found good comfort in the Tornado. Spin was also better with the Tornado. This will be my standard string for the season. Highly recommended.

Mains: 46/50 Signum Pro Tornado 17/ Tourna Quasi Gut 17g in the Crosses
Power: A-
Control: B+
Feel: A-
Comfort: A-
Spin: A
Tension Stability:
OVERALL: A-
Starting RA 52 / after 2 hrs RA 45
Good blend of spin, power, and comfort. Rated 5th best overall string by Stringforum.net - top Poly. Compares to TF Black Code. Lively and Explosive. Slightly plasticy feel. Harsh on off-center hits.

The Big Kahuna
11-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I do think TORNADO plays best strung a little lower than other POLYS, but test that for yourself.

IN GENERAL: String Poly 10% Lower than other string to obtain same effective tension. Restring about every 10-12 hours of play (about every three weeks).

Hvybrid Strings:

i) with polyester or monofilament strings, you should keep your Luxilon monofilament strings at the same tension in the mains, and install the crosses 5-10% higher. Most people prefer an increase of 5%.

ii) If you currently are playing with gut strings, multifilaments, or synthetic gut, you should keep you normal tension on the crosses with your multifilament string, and install the mains 5-10% lower with a Luxilon Monofilament. Most people prefer a 10% drop in tension.

nickarnold2000
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Signum claims right on the reel that due to Tornado's excellent tension retention to string 10% less than your regular poly.

Magox
11-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Thnx everyone!!!! I'll try the tornado with mantis. Thnx!!!!