PDA

View Full Version : popped blisters

moosryan
06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
what do you guys do when you have a torn blister that really hurts , but have have to play the next day. i have one on the heel of my hand right where i grip the racquet

papa
06-07-2005, 06:26 PM
If everything is cleaned out with hot soapy water you might try Liquid Bandage - couple of coats. Another thing you might want to consider (because I play so much I have to revert to it from time to time) is to use a golf glove - really helps and not that difficult to play with.

MegacedU
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Peroxide! Then go ahead and get Band Aid Brand blister blockers. They work everywhere but the backs of your heels.

Kobble
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
A friend of mine practically had a first aid kit to deal with blisters. He used to trim the skin off of the affected area, and then clean it up. After that, he put some camphophenique(I believe it numbs pain), then put some of that liquid bandage on it. For more durability, go with super glue. However, you better be sure that the pain reliever will last because that super glue only comes off easy two ways, either rip it off(ouch!), or use a strong solvent(which will burn badly when it hits the raw skin).

As for my own method, I take a small piece of paper towel or toilet paper and apply it to the area after the skin has been clipped, and then I super glue over the paper towel/toilet paper. It creates a nice and durable cushin. In addition, you may want to try adding the pain reliever to my method. I have never tried the camphophenique, but my buddy swears by it.

papa
06-08-2005, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine practically had a first aid kit to deal with blisters. He used to trim the skin off of the affected area, and then clean it up. After that, he put some camphophenique(I believe it numbs pain), then put some of that liquid bandage on it. For more durability, go with super glue. However, you better be sure that the pain reliever will last because that super glue only comes off easy two ways, either rip it off(ouch!), or use a strong solvent(which will burn badly when it hits the raw skin).

As for my own method, I take a small piece of paper towel or toilet paper and apply it to the area after the skin has been clipped, and then I super glue over the paper towel/toilet paper. It creates a nice and durable cushin. In addition, you may want to try adding the pain reliever to my method. I have never tried the camphophenique, but my buddy swears by it.

I'm no doctor and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I'd be carefull about sealing anything into a wound (blister is in the category) that isn't you. Although Kobble is probably right and he might be extra carefull many aren't and infection can set in quickly. I'm not trying to alarm anyone and your not going to lose an arm or leg because of a blister but when infection sets in, its just a pain and certainly, if nothing else, delays the healing process.

If you play on Har Tru, you have to be very careful that NONE of that material gets in your blister/cut because it WILL cause problems that you really don't need. Although Liquid Band Aid is a good product under most conditions, the thing I don't like is that a "fresh" covering is not used daily.

FREDDY
06-08-2005, 12:08 PM
that sucks. i have a blister on my hand. got back on the court and then the next day a double blister developed. it popped yesterday. now im gonna go out there again. its pretty much all dried out right now. try the golf glove.

papa
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
that sucks. i have a blister on my hand. got back on the court and then the next day a double blister developed. it popped yesterday. now im gonna go out there again. its pretty much all dried out right now. try the golf glove.

Yeah, try the glove routine for a week or so - not going to make you look like a sissy and guess what, you can still play tennis. Blisters aren't fun and never have been.

predrag
06-08-2005, 02:25 PM
what do you guys do when you have a torn blister that really hurts , but have have to play the next day. i have one on the heel of my hand right where i grip the racquet

Soak it in the salty solution and let it dry. It will hurt in the beginging, but
if you manage, this is the best thing you can do.
I even put some salt onto it.

Regards, Predrag

moosryan
06-08-2005, 03:21 PM
ahh i was hoping no one would say that. oh well i'll do it. its gonna hurt like hell. what kind of salt should i use? normal table salt? mortons? etc....

moosryan
06-08-2005, 05:42 PM
wow...that stung :-)

eLterrible
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Safin should be the pioneer into the world of pro tennis gloves...they'd sell well.

moosryan
06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
yeah i seem to get these all the time...because my hands are so callused, the "cuts" are really deep. its because its the callus blistering. painful yes.

TwistServe
06-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I would treat popped blisters like popped zits.. Lots of kids frequent these boards I would take their advise :)