PDA

View Full Version : Maxim Touch so tough to string

cxw0106
11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
It just kept slipping on my Klippermate clamps no matter how hard I clamp it. This has never happened on any other string before.

mikeler
11-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Are they floating clamps? The fixed clamps on my Gamma X-ST have no problem holding the 17g version of Maxim Touch.

SteveI
11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
It just kept slipping on my Klippermate clamps no matter how hard I clamp it. This has never happened on any other string before.

Hi,

You may have to clean the Klippermate clamps to stop the slipping. Also..I have never strung the Max Touch.. but does it have a slick, oil-like coating? Sometimes you have to wipe that off...

Steve

mikeler
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi,

You may have to clean the Klippermate clamps to stop the slipping. Also..I have never strung the Max Touch.. but does it have a slick, oil-like coating? Sometimes you have to wipe that off...

Steve

It is not an oily string but it does stretch a lot. I strung it up about every 2 weeks for the first 9 months of the year.

cxw0106
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
It's floating clamp. Yeah, I haven't cleaned the Klippermate clamps for a while. But when I strung with all other strings (i can name 10+ strings that I recently string with, poly, multi, synthetic), I never had this problem. Probably the coating of Maxim Touch is just too oily...

Hi,

Steve

SteveI
11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
It's floating clamp. Yeah, I haven't cleaned the Klippermate clamps for a while. But when I strung with all other strings (i can name 10+ strings that I recently string with, poly, multi, synthetic), I never had this problem. Probably the coating of Maxim Touch is just too oily...

The mess just builds up on the clamps. I used to clean my Klippermate Clamps about every 10-15 string jobs.. if I did not.. lots of slipping and drawback on the clamps. This will cause your ref tension to be low.

Preston
11-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I string on a Gamma X-ST as well, and though I rarely have clamp slippage, when I do it's with Maxim Touch. However, it's my fault for not cleaning the clamps enough. As soon as I clean the clamps they stop slipping.

I now clean clamps once a month, which is about right since I do maybe 10 rackets in a month max. No more slipping problems.

The other funny thing about MT is that I can string many other brands/kinds of string without the clamps slipping, but if I go to string MT and haven't cleaned the clamps recently, they do slip with that string.

Clean your clamps and you'll most likely have solved your problem.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I was about to say, clean the clamps, because MT still holds my stringing record for the fastest strung racquet ever: 15:18, on my girlfriend's frame. It's like stringing butter: stiff enough to get through grommets, but weaves like a Lotus.

mikeler
11-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I was about to say, clean the clamps, because MT still holds my stringing record for the fastest strung racquet ever: 15:18, on my girlfriend's frame. It's like stringing butter: stiff enough to get through grommets, but weaves like a Lotus.

I think Maxim Touch and Mantis Comfort are the easiest strings for me to install.

JackB1
11-23-2010, 09:16 AM

I find MT incredibly soft and mushy and super tough to push through blocked holes. The string will just crumble if it meets any resistance. You have to preplan for blocked holes with MT. It is a great multi though.

mikeler
11-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I find MT incredibly soft and mushy and super tough to push through blocked holes. The string will just crumble if it meets any resistance. You have to preplan for blocked holes with MT. It is a great multi though.

Mantis Comfort is even softer but has enough stiffness that getting the string through blocked holes is not too bad.

diredesire
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
A tip: Take a business card, fold it it half, insert it into the jaws of your clamp(s), and then clamp the string. With floating clamps, consider putting two folded cards in there, but it is an old tip that isn't very commonly spread anymore. It works ;)

Mattingly
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
You do realize its necessary to clean the clamps periodically to avoid a buildup. A professional stringer I learned from recommended non acetone nail polish remover to keep the clamps gunk free. Its a buck or so at Walmart.

coolblue123
11-24-2010, 03:01 AM
I agree with mikeler. MT is pretty easy to install. The hardest part is just to get a tiny bit of the string through a block hole. Then all i have to do is use some small pliers and pull the strings out.