PDA

View Full Version : Cut out the crosses and replace ?

jstasak
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Just had a full bed of Blue Gear Ultra strung and seems to be a bit too stiff for me. Wondering if I can have the crosses cut out and replaced with something softer (NXT Comfort) while keeping the mains intact ?

Radicalized
11-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Nope...Not a good idea. Threads on this subject already.

Ambivalent
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Depends on how much hitting you've got on it. I've done this before after 10 min of hitting, but tension loss after that may become a problem and you risk warping your racket.

jim e
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
This has been posted over and over. Its in the faq section. Here it is:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

Speed Kat
11-24-2010, 02:57 AM
In short - NO!

Lambsscroll
11-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Just had a full bed of Blue Gear Ultra strung and seems to be a bit too stiff for me. Wondering if I can have the crosses cut out and replaced with something softer (NXT Comfort) while keeping the mains intact ?

Totally! Its best to put the racket in a 6 point mounting machine to reduce torque. Once the racket is secure in the machine then you cut out the cross string and then restring.

kiteboard
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I've done it many times over, esp. with vs as the main, as it keeps tens. better than other strings, almost like new after lock down, as long as the crosses aren't cut or broken before you lock the frame down, it's fine. I've restrung the crosses as many as four times with vs mains, with not one problem. Been stringing since 1981. I would venture a bet, that all the nay sayers, have never even once tried it themselves, and are just going on what others are basing comments: a broken cross, or a cut out cross, without a frame lock down.